SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: AMG SL 63 Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2024, 04:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
SL63 AMG
AMG SL 63 Problems

I'm using Google Translate, I'm sorry if there's something you don't understand.

------------------- Problem 1 -----------------------
Hi everyone, I recently bought a 2023 Mercedes SL 63 AMG, it has a little problem, and that is that I can't access any Mercedes ME service.

I have entered it into the application, and it seems strange to me that I don't have any option available and it says incompatible vehicle, since it has a fingerprint sensor on the doors but I can't use them since it doesn't even let me create a profile in the mbux system. When starting the system, it says Mercedes me not available, does anyone know why? They told me to test if the SOS system works and it works perfectly, I also have a Mercedes me button but it doesn't do anything.

It's strange that a 2023 vehicle is not compatible when it has all the functions within it and that it should have them on the mobile perfectly (I saw the same model on yt and everyone has it). I went to the Mercedes in my city and they don't know why nothing comes up. Has this happened to anyone else? I'll wait for a response, thanks.

------------------- Problem 2 -----------------------

Sometimes, when I start a new car, regardless of the driving mode, sport or comfort, I have to accelerate quite a bit to get the car to move. Sometimes it works well and sometimes it doesn't, it doesn't fit properly, it seems like the gear is not engaged and it is very annoying to have to accelerate to move from the spot. When parking it is almost impossible because in R, when I reverse it doesn't move, I have to accelerate and sometimes it gives a big push and I can't park properly.

Also, if I put it in D or R and without accelerating, I wait about 5 seconds, the car starts to move little by little.

The car:

Last edited by aguitadeowito; 06-08-2024 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-08-2024, 12:34 PM

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts
SL63
I am probably having some of the same problems with my SL, that you are having. My parking problems appear most when I am in tight spaces. If there are moveable objects that are being sensed by the cameras and sensors, they send inputs to the brakes to engage. I just make sure all the moveable objects are as far away as I can get them. Sometimes, if you get too close to an object, your parking brake gets automatically engaged to prevent you from getting any closer, and causing damage.
Are you sure you aren’t running into any of these issues?
Old 06-08-2024, 04:50 PM

SL63 AMG
Originally Posted by MB2timer
I am probably having some of the same problems with my SL, that you are having. My parking problems appear most when I am in tight spaces. If there are moveable objects that are being sensed by the cameras and sensors, they send inputs to the brakes to engage. I just make sure all the moveable objects are as far away as I can get them. Sometimes, if you get too close to an object, your parking brake gets automatically engaged to prevent you from getting any closer, and causing damage.
Are you sure you aren’t running into any of these issues?
The problem I have is that when I try to put the car in reverse gear, the gear does not engage and I stay still. Even if I leave the car unlatched, it goes forwards. I have to accelerate quite a bit for the reverse gear to engage. The problem with this is that when I accelerate hard, it gives a very big push backwards and there is a risk of hitting objects around.
Old 06-08-2024, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,776 Likes on 2,525 Posts
2019 C63CS
Not sure what's going on with your Mercedes me account, but your dealership has to add the car properly to your account. This is not something you can do by yourself. They may not have performed all the necessary steps. This happened to me. I had to go back to the dealership to have them add the car properly. The sales person forgot a required step in the process.

As for the driving issues, there have been some reports recently from other SL owners about the car not moving or not accelerating, being stuck in a gear and such. Seems like the SL along with other recent new models is still having teething issues. It's long been common wisdom to avoid the first 1-2 model years of any new cars and wait until most of the early issues got sorted out. With all the software in newer cars, this is becoming even more important. Manufacturers ship these cars with buggy software these days and hope to update them later with OTA updates etc. It's really been putting me off from buying a new car any time soon. All the service loaners I've had over the last 1-2 years had buggy software to the point where I'm not inclined to own another Mercedes-Benz/AMG for now.

Having said that, are you familiar with the nature of the AMG Speedshift MCT transmission? As opposed to your typical automatic transmission, this transmission doesn't use a torque converter. Instead it uses a wet startup clutch. So the car can roll downhill and such similar to a car with a manual transmission, because when you come to a stop, the transmission gets fully decoupled from the engine and then when you start accelerating again, the clutch engages. Therefore if you are on an incline and such, trying to park etc. you may find that the car is rolling downhill and you have to hold it with the brakes or parking brake. It does have hill start assist which is supposed to hold the brakes for you for a few seconds to give you time to move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator. But you have to come to a full stop for a moment for it to engage.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-08-2024 at 09:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by superswiss:
California John (06-09-2024), drgek (06-08-2024), Drone_S213 (06-11-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 09:25 AM

SL63 AMG
Originally Posted by superswiss
Not sure what's going on with your Mercedes me account, but your dealership has to add the car properly to your account. This is not something you can do by yourself. They may not have performed all the necessary steps. This happened to me. I had to go back to the dealership to have them add the car properly. The sales person forgot a required step in the process.

As for the driving issues, there have been some reports recently from other SL owners about the car not moving or not accelerating, being stuck in a gear and such. Seems like the SL along with other recent new models is still having teething issues. It's long been common wisdom to avoid the first 1-2 model years of any new cars and wait until most of the early issues got sorted out. With all the software in newer cars, this is becoming even more important. Manufacturers ship these cars with buggy software these days and hope to update them later with OTA updates etc. It's really been putting me off from buying a new car any time soon. All the service loaners I've had over the last 1-2 years had buggy software to the point where I'm not inclined to own another Mercedes-Benz/AMG for now.

Having said that, are you familiar with the nature of the AMG Speedshift MCT transmission? As opposed to your typical automatic transmission, this transmission doesn't use a torque converter. Instead it uses a wet startup clutch. So the car can roll downhill and such similar to a car with a manual transmission, because when you come to a stop, the transmission gets fully decoupled from the engine and then when you start accelerating again, the clutch engages. Therefore if you are on an incline and such, trying to park etc. you may find that the car is rolling downhill and you have to hold it with the brakes or parking brake. It does have hill start assist which is supposed to hold the brakes for you for a few seconds to give you time to move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator. But you have to come to a full stop for a moment for it to engage.

Currently, NO MERCEDES SERVICES in my country (Romania) know why I don't have access to Mercedes Me services. They started by telling me that I might not have the Hermes module, but if I didn't have it, the SOS button wouldn't work, but it does work, so it does.
Regarding the clutch, today was hell, I tried to park in reverse and I had to accelerate really hard to get the car to move and I almost crashed the car.
The Mercedes dealership did several software updates for me, but they told me they didn't find any problems with the transmission and they don't know what to do. Wow, a car that costs almost 200k and they're going to leave me stranded with the problems. Could someone help me on what I should do next? The car currently has 7400km, it is very new.
Old 06-09-2024, 09:30 AM

SL63 AMG
Something that happened to me today, in sport mode (I don't know if it happens in other modes too).

I was at a traffic light with the brake pedal pressed, and suddenly the car started to rev up and try to get out of place despite having pressed the brake pedal very hard. I quickly changed to N to avoid hitting the car in front.
Old 06-10-2024, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 310 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
I think your car has a demon problem. Are you in Transylvania?
The following 2 users liked this post by rmorin49:
MB2timer (06-11-2024), places (06-11-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 03:40 PM

SL63 AMG
Originally Posted by rmorin49
I think your car has a demon problem. Are you in Transylvania?
I´m in Romania, bucarest
The following users liked this post:
rmorin49 (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 310 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
Originally Posted by aguitadeowito
I´m in Romania, bucarest
I was in Romania a couple weeks ago. Saw a lot of Dacia vehicles but very few Mercedes.
It sucks that you are having issues with your SL.
Old 06-10-2024, 04:13 PM

SL63 AMG
Originally Posted by rmorin49
I was in Romania a couple weeks ago. Saw a lot of Dacia vehicles but very few Mercedes.
It sucks that you are having issues with your SL.
This Thursday I will go to the Mercedes dealership to look at the transmission problem. They told me that they also noticed it 1 week ago when I took it to get an engine software update but they didn't tell me anything.🤡🤡
Old 06-11-2024, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,002 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Was the car purchased in Romania or bought elsewhere and then moved to that country. If so, that could explain Mercedes Me service not working.
Old 06-11-2024, 11:33 AM

SL63 AMG
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Was the car purchased in Romania or bought elsewhere and then moved to that country. If so, that could explain Mercedes Me service not working.
The car was manufactured in Macedonia. I bought it from a private individual who sold it through a brokerage company in Germany.
I've seen that it has all the functions, such as a fingerprint sensor, but I don't have them available, the wiring seems to be working, but i get on mbux the message "not available" when i put the finger. I've read that the Hermes module may be missing, I'm not sure, I'm going to take it to Mercedes again in a few days to see what they say.
Old 06-12-2024, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,002 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
The car was manufactured in Macedonia. I bought it from a private individual who sold it through a brokerage company in Germany.
I've seen that it has all the functions, such as a fingerprint sensor, but I don't have them available, the wiring seems to be working, but i get on mbux the message "not available" when i put the finger. I've read that the Hermes module may be missing, I'm not sure, I'm going to take it to Mercedes again in a few days to see what they say.
This is why. Where the car is manufactured is of no relevance but for which market car was designed for. There are other members on this forum that have purchased cars in Germany and the UK and brought them to Eastern Europe with the same issue.
Am certain that the car has the Hermes module which can be easily checked via a VIN checker.

Old 06-12-2024, 06:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
SL63AMG
Currently, NO MERCEDES SERVICES in my country (Romania) know why I don't have access to Mercedes Me services. They started by telling me that I might not have the Hermes module, but if I didn't have it, the SOS button wouldn't work, but it does work, so it does.
Regarding the clutch, today was hell, I tried to park in reverse and I had to accelerate really hard to get the car to move and I almost crashed the car.
The Mercedes dealership did several software updates for me, but they told me they didn't find any problems with the transmission and they don't know what to do. Wow, a car that costs almost 200k and they're going to leave me stranded with the problems. Could someone help me on what I should do next? The car currently has 7400km, it is very new.
My SL63 was properly registered by my dealer in Romania/Transylvania, no issues with the app, no issues with the car. Well, minor stuff, but nothing like not going into reverse!
Old 06-13-2024, 12:56 PM

SL63 AMG
I update the thread:
The car seems to have come with a problem in the transmission from the factory, since it had 2 km, the car was taken to be checked for the problem I mentioned above. Fortunately I have 1 year of warranty left and it covers everything.

Regarding the Mercedes Me issue, they also have to reprogram the control unit, since the destination of sale of the car was a country that did not allow such services, but now being in a country that does allow them, they have to reprogram it. (it contains the Hermes unit)
Old 06-16-2024, 03:19 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 129 Posts
OP - your blue/white/black color combo is stunning!
The following users liked this post:
MB2timer (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 03:42 PM

SL63 AMG
Thx :3

this is a picture with the roof closed
The following 4 users liked this post by aguitadeowito:
California John (06-16-2024), drgek (06-17-2024), MB2timer (06-17-2024), Raulr (06-18-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 02:43 AM

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts
SL63
That color, setting, location, and ambient lighting really accentuate the body lines. Not in a crisp, sharp fashion, but like a subtle, subdued, washed, pastel fading of body lines.
I really like the whole synergy and effect.