SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: Vario roof fail

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2024, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL550; Lexus RX 330
Vario roof fail

Here is another Vario roof problem for the long list. Last year I bought a 2017 SL 63. This summer I've had trouble with the roof beginning with the first drive through the car wash. After going through the wash, the roof refused to go down all the way. After a couple of days sitting in the garage it decided to work again and continued to work through several cycles. A few weeks later though, it refused to go up and is now permanently in the lowered position. Although this is great if the weather stays warm and sunny..... The error code is B2539/ 1N52 "Vario roof control code". When i try to raise the rear air deflector i get the message "extend only when roof open". This leads me to believe that one of the sensors is telling the computer that the roof is up when it's actually down.
I've also noticed that when I open the trunk, the lid opens but the roof does not slide back to allow access to the trunk. Both these problems seem to have happened at the same time, as best as i can tell. Both problems seem to have occurred shortly or immediately after car washes. Could just be coincidence.
I took the problem to one independent shop but they told me that they do not work on roofs so it looks like an expensive trip to the dealer.
I thought I'd run it by the forum first in case someone had a solution. Fingers crossed.
Allan
Old 08-30-2024, 10:31 AM

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts
2020 GLC300 -2013 Sl550 - 1997 SL600
Originally Posted by alland
Here is another Vario roof problem for the long list. Last year I bought a 2017 SL 63. This summer I've had trouble with the roof beginning with the first drive through the car wash. After going through the wash, the roof refused to go down all the way. After a couple of days sitting in the garage it decided to work again and continued to work through several cycles. A few weeks later though, it refused to go up and is now permanently in the lowered position. Although this is great if the weather stays warm and sunny..... The error code is B2539/ 1N52 "Vario roof control code". When i try to raise the rear air deflector i get the message "extend only when roof open". This leads me to believe that one of the sensors is telling the computer that the roof is up when it's actually down.
I've also noticed that when I open the trunk, the lid opens but the roof does not slide back to allow access to the trunk. Both these problems seem to have happened at the same time, as best as i can tell. Both problems seem to have occurred shortly or immediately after car washes. Could just be coincidence.
I took the problem to one independent shop but they told me that they do not work on roofs so it looks like an expensive trip to the dealer.
I thought I'd run it by the forum first in case someone had a solution. Fingers crossed.
Allan
Your car is an R231, but this sounds like a water incursion issue….
I would inspect the trunk thoroughly for water leaks, maybe near the rear SAM.

Good Luck!
Old 08-30-2024, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL550; Lexus RX 330
I just realized i posted in the wrong forum. Thank-you for pointing this out.