SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: No Start - Service Required

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2024 | 06:47 AM

2023 SL 63 AMG
Angry No Start - Service Required

Yesterday I was running errands in the SL and all was well with the world. Beautiful day in Colorado with the top down, high 70s F and I stopped to fill the tank with fuel. After fueling, got in the car and no start. The screen filled with dialogs like a 2000s **** website with the main being (paraphrased): Service Required. Do not change transmission from Park.

After 4-5 attempts to start I gave up and decided to call Mercedes Assistance for a tow ... which would be the second in as many weeks. After about 10 minutes and while on the phone with MA, I hit the starter button again and it cranked with no check engine, no messages or alerts in the Service Menu. I drove the car home without incident.

Any idea guys? I've searched and the best I can come up with is a possible battery issue? My battery was replaced under warranty less than 2 months ago and I drive the car most every day. If not driving for a few days I put it on the trickle charger. I've received no low battery warnings.

Any information would be appreciated.
Old 10-03-2024 | 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by q2bruiser2
Yesterday I was running errands in the SL and all was well with the world. Beautiful day in Colorado with the top down, high 70s F and I stopped to fill the tank with fuel. After fueling, got in the car and no start. The screen filled with dialogs like a 2000s **** website with the main being (paraphrased): Service Required. Do not change transmission from Park.

After 4-5 attempts to start I gave up and decided to call Mercedes Assistance for a tow ... which would be the second in as many weeks. After about 10 minutes and while on the phone with MA, I hit the starter button again and it cranked with no check engine, no messages or alerts in the Service Menu. I drove the car home without incident.

Any idea guys? I've searched and the best I can come up with is a possible battery issue? My battery was replaced under warranty less than 2 months ago and I drive the car most every day. If not driving for a few days I put it on the trickle charger. I've received no low battery warnings.

Any information would be appreciated.
No doubt your car stored the codes that triggered those messages. The dealership will be able to read those codes and more than likely. All that is required is the latest software updates. But the codes should be the determining factor… Or at least point of departure in the repair process. You certainly do not want to see those messages again.
The following users liked this post:
q2bruiser2 (10-04-2024)
Old 10-04-2024 | 05:23 AM

2023 SL 63 AMG
Originally Posted by tepelena
I've encountered similar no-start issues that could be due to several factors. It might involve the ISM intermittently failing to communicate with the vehicle’s systems, or a faulty starter relay disrupting the ignition process. Additionally, the transmission range sensor could be sending incorrect signals about the gear position, preventing the car from recognizing that it's in Park. Another possibility is an issue with the vehicle’s immobilizer system, where the key fob isn't consistently communicating with the car’s security system, triggering the "Service Required" alerts. To diagnose this properly, you should read fault codes from multiple control units such as the ISM, ECU (Engine Control Unit), and TCU (Transmission Control Unit). I recommend using a full system scanner like youcanic’s full system scanner, which effectively diagnoses all system modules. Be cautious with generic OBD2 scanners like the Autel AutoLink AL319, which only scan engine-related codes and won’t detect issues in other control modules. If you’re not comfortable handling this yourself, taking the vehicle to a mechanic with the right equipment is your best bet.
Thank you. Have already made an apt with the dealer.