SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: What oil should I be using??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2006 | 09:53 AM

What oil should I be using??

I have a newly aquired 560 SL. It runs very well for it's 260k miles! The problem is I know nothing of this car or it's previous owner.
I added a couple quarts of 10W-40 motor oil and I am now hearing mild lifter tapping at startup for a minute or two.
Question:
What was the origional oil recomended for this motor? What would you recomend I use now that it is a high milage vehicle?
Thanks!
Old 10-10-2006 | 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 SL63
don't no what year your car is but...

MB uses Mobile 1 Full Synthetic... exclusively
Old 10-11-2006 | 09:59 AM

'87 560SL Sold, '99 SL500 For Keeps
Originally Posted by captainbob
I have a newly aquired 560 SL. It runs very well for it's 260k miles! The problem is I know nothing of this car or it's previous owner.
I added a couple quarts of 10W-40 motor oil and I am now hearing mild lifter tapping at startup for a minute or two.
Question:
What was the origional oil recomended for this motor? What would you recomend I use now that it is a high milage vehicle?
Thanks!
captainbob,
I also own a 560SL, with 160K and have use Castrol GTX 20w/50 for the past few years since moving to Florida. I experimented with Mobil 1 some years ago, and due to it's high detergent capability, it acted more like a 'flush' to my engine's lubrication system. As the other poster noted, MB recommends Mobil 1 for it's NEWER engines that were designed to run on it. In ours, again due to the high detergent content of the oil, Mobil 1 created leaks galore at the engine seals. I quickly switched back to 'dino' oil (Castrol) and the leaks disappeared.

If you can't determine from the previous owner or records what you've got in the crankcase, take the car to a quality MB Service Provider and ask him what he recommends, or, speak to other owners in your locale to see what they're using. My bottom line on this is to keep away from any synthetic unless the engine has been running it all it's life, which I would doubt in your case, going back to the late 80's when our cars were built.

Bob