SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: I am probably not going to like this ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300D, 300CD, 300SD, 300SDL, 560SL
I am probably not going to like this ???

Hi All,

My 87 560SL- 82,000 original miles on her.

I know I need a timing chain and a valve cover gasket and a cruise control computer. I have all these parts new. I finally saved the money to get the work done. And the vehicle is scheduled to be carried to the dealer tomorrow morning (23 July 2007).

Preparing the vehicle to be moved, I pulled it out of the garage and got her all pretty for her trip.

Now is the part I am probably not going to like!!!

She has no power, acts as though she can't shift gears, I hear a loud hiss (although air is escaping) from the engine compartment somewhere near the brake cylinder and the coolant is being back forced out of the reservoir.

I installed a new thermostat approximately two months ago and have not really driven it since. I replaced it then because of the same coolant challenge and just figured the thermostat was not opening properly.

There is no smoke at either start up or reving. I cannot find any evidence of water in the oil or the transmission fluid.

Any ideas folks?

Dave H...
Old 07-23-2007, 12:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'87 560SL Sold, '99 SL500 For Keeps
Originally Posted by DaveH
Hi All,

She has no power, acts as though she can't shift gears, I hear a loud hiss (although air is escaping) from the engine compartment somewhere near the brake cylinder and the coolant is being back forced out of the reservoir.

Dave H...
Dave,

It sounds like the hissing sound and shifting problem may be caused by a leak in the vacuum line that runs from the back of the manifold (toward the passenger side) and runs along the fire wall toward the driver's side; splits off with 1 line going to the transmission modulator, the other behind the dash. Concentrate on the one going to the transmission. The split off, by the way is right near the brake booster/cylinder.

I don't really understand your comment about the coolant being forced out of the reservoir. With the engine cool and the reservoir filled to the line, drive your car to any radiator shop and have them pressue test the system. This simple check will tell you if there is a leak anywhere, and if your pressure cap is holding pressure. If your system is working via this simple test, AND you're not getting any overheating problems AND you're not having to add coolant/water frequently, stop worrying about it.

Bob

Last edited by BJonesFL; 07-24-2007 at 12:45 AM.