SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: How to: Remove Conv Top With Frame? Fix Seams?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
69 - 113; 82 -107 Euro; 98 - C Class; 69 - TR6; Various Others
How to: Remove Conv Top With Frame? Fix Seams?

My convertible, in really good shape, even the windows, except....for whatever reason, the thread holding the windows in has been breaking. As we all know, replacing the top entirely costs a lot and is a labor intensive job.

I'd like to try re-stiching the seams along the windows...all shops I've brought it to say no trouble if they can get it under the machine...but if its getting removed from the frame..because of the labor (and it will probably rip anyway), well then I'm just going to put a new top on anyway. We're even attempting, while on the car, thread and needle by hand....not pleasant..not pretty..(any suggestions on that approach?)

But, maybe, if i can remove the entire top WITH THE FRAME easily, and while a bit big, it could then be manipulated under the machine. It seems to be just a couple of nuts on each side (in the well) and maybe a spring or two holding it on. Anyone have some insight on what type of job it would be?