SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: 1973 450 SL General questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1973 Mercedes 450 SL
1973 450 SL General questions

Hi

I am new to the forum, and I am now in the process of purchasing my first Mercedes, a lovely 1973 450 SL with only 112k miles on it. The great thing about this purchase is that it's a one owner car with all records from day one. It has been maintained by a Mercedes dealer since new and is in great condition, however as with any car of this vintage there will always be something, so here goes.

The owner of the car has had the convertible top up only 4 times during its life, and over time the plastic windows have yellowed a bit. If I decide to replace the windows, and maintain its collector status is it important to replace the windows with authentic MB plastic with the MB logo on them, or would a lower cost replacement be ok.

For future reference, should I decide to replace the whole top and maintain collector status, would it be prudent to replace with OEM parts.

The only other thing that the previous owner did was replace the original Becker radio with a Kenwood radio so that they would have a tape deck. I believe that this would be a require reversal. Can anyone suggest a good place to purchase one at a reasonable price.

The car was repainted 10 years ago using the proper color numbers for the car so that should be ok.

I can't think of anything else that would require restoration, so all should be good.

Final question. Is this vehicle really even a collector, given the number of 450's out there, or should I just consider it a nice ride?

Loren