SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: Next addition, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'78 300D, more to come soon!
Next addition, thoughts?

Hi guys! First time on this forum, hope I can contribute much to it. Now to business. I may be inheriting a 560SL soon, I don't know a whole lot about it yet other than what my mother has told me about the car (and she knows Mercedes enough for me to trust her). I'm not positive on the year, although she thinks '88. It ran fine before being stored in a garage and rarely driven, although now there is apparently a pile of what looks to be radiator hoses that she thinks were done in by rats or the like. She says the exterior is in beautiful condition, white, pagoda top. I don't know much more than that yet, but I'll get the chance to see the car next weekend. If everything is in order, all it will need is new hoses, an oil and filters change, and just to be safe, draining the old gas out of the tank. Anybody have any stories or advice about these cars? Anything to check for? Recommendations? Performance suggestions? I'm pretty familiar with Benz and cars in general, so lay it on me. Hopefully I can give you some more information soon.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:24 AM

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
450SL
Check all hoses, vacuum etc. and wiring. I had this happen to a '72 450SL. Stored for several years and the destruction was massive. It became a parts car. Critters love rubber, plastic and wiring insulation. Check for signs they have been inside under the dash also.

Draining old gas is a good idea.

I have heard that there are specific steps that need to be taken to turn the engine over without starting. Merely disconnecting the coil wire can damage some of the electrical components.