SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: Cold run issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 560sl
Cold run issues

My 88 560SL starts up first time every time when the temperature drops below 50 overnight. For the first five minutes after start up it idles rough and has trouble making the shift from first to second gear. After this bit of acting up it runs fine. It also does not have this problem when the outside temperature warms up. Any ideas where I should start?
Old 12-04-2010, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 560SL
Originally Posted by Bruce DuBois
My 88 560SL starts up first time every time when the temperature drops below 50 overnight. For the first five minutes after start up it idles rough and has trouble making the shift from first to second gear. After this bit of acting up it runs fine. It also does not have this problem when the outside temperature warms up. Any ideas where I should start?
Bruce,

Not a very active forum here for trouble-shooting these old dogs... I suggest you move this inquiry over to www.benzworld.org/forums, and post in the 107 forum. Be sure when you register, you complete your profile, or you'll get lambasted with admonishments to do so.

There are several guys there who will be able to help, and are seasoned veterans of the 107 genre.

Incidentally, unless you are using the "B" switch, or have a FSG module installed, your car starts off in second gear, as many MB's do... and shifts to third, then fourth...

The rough running sounds like it is vacuum related... and since you are having tranny issues, maybe in the modulator circuit? Just guessing here.

Good Luck with sorting this out...