SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: New Toy! 82 380SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1982 380SL Roadster
New Toy! 82 380SL

Got me a new toy! Not my dream car 95 SL600 AMG!

But I am happy as can be right now. First Mercedes Roadster! Im Stoked!

So Anyway...A few ??? are in order.

First...I have noticed some 82's I have seen show 160 on speedo, some (like mine) show only 85? Did this separate a distinctive sports package etc.
Also my speedo works, but my odometer does not.

The car had been stored since 2001 and has some fuel related gremlins. It has fouled a couple sets of plugs and sometimes cuts out? Will idle fine, have let it set and run for over hour with no problems. When you go down road...it sputters and dies. Wait a few and starts back up.

Next in line is Fuel filter, possibly fuel pump?? Tracked down previous owner and found I am 4th owner. Was originally purchased in Germany by GI, shipped to US, Sold to friend for wife a few years later and purchased by 3rd and previous owner in 1990...driven until 2001 and garaged. He stated he started it about once a month and kept it full with fuel satbilizer in it, until it started missing and finally would not start..then he got tired of walking around it...and thats when it came to me.

Car had complete head work done and new timing chain, gears, and tensioner at aprox 155,000 miles and transmission was completely gone through at aprox 140,000 miles, it now shows 165,450 but will not work? He said it worked in 2001 ( might be stuck )

Any way hello to all - Looking for advice, good parts suppliers, etc.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2011, 07:01 PM

82 380SL 96 SL500
Frankly you'll probably get more attention with the '82.

Speedometer you have is correct for US models in '82. If yours is a euro model they probably changed the cluster during federalization.

VDO Odometer failure is a common issue. IIRC there's a tutorial at odometergears.com as well as it being a source for the gears which must be replaced. If I'm wrong, a search would be in order.

Your fuel problem sounds like a gunked up fuel tank. This is just a wild guess, but replacing the filter and tank strainer and flushing the tank might be a good start. From experience, unless all the lines around the fuel pump look recent, I'd plan on replacing all the rubber in that area while I was at it.

I buy a lot of my parts from autohausaz.com.

Get on it... Spring starts three months from today.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:10 PM

1982 380SL Roadster
Thanks abiby.... The 82 does turn heads that is for sure!

I worked on it today and put on new fuel filter and got good gas in tank.

You are correct the rubber needs replaced on all of that system...10 years in a garage is good and BAD!

Any way took it for a spin down the road and it done a lot better, but it still has moments of sputter. I done some testing from repair manual and I think the storage has killed the Accumulator!

Thanks for the site, autohausAZ...they have very decent price on the accumulator. I got to get that on the way because we are still having "top down" weather here on the coast.

I traded for this car as an monetary investment, but am getting attached fast!