SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: 1976 450SLC Vacuum Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'76 450SLC
1976 450SLC Vacuum Issues

I'm replacing all the vacuum lines in my 450. Most lines are either broken off, nonexistent, or, connected incorrectly according to the Haynes diagram.

1. According to the CIS Ancillary components' diagram in the Haynes guide, I should have a leak line going from the pressure damper to a "contoured hose for breather at right cylinder head cover". I don't have said hose; instead the line goes to a nozzle at the center front of the air guide housing.

2. Regarding the Vacuum line schematic, I can't seem to locate #5, the check valve, which is supposed to connect to the blue thermo-vacuum valve.

3. Also, the orientation of the valves on the throttle valve housing (#1) doesn't seem to correspond to the physical nozzle arrangement on my housing. I have the aforementioned nozzle directly beside the 4-branched contoured hose connecting the Air slide valve to air flow sensor housing (CENTER LEFT in pic). The picture shows all five vacuum valves on the housing, and I can't correspond any of them to the diagram.

On the lower half of the housing there is a single valve in the middle, then two clustered valves to the right. Above them is another single valve (FAR RIGHT in pic).

4. One of the hoses from my charcoal canister was broken off, so I'm replacing that too. According to the diagram the right hose to the fuel tank for ventilation, the left through the purge valve and onto the housing. I can follow my right line to the firewall, where it disappears, but it seems to be the one going to the purge valve, and not the left, as according to the schematic. Also, other than the vacuum line going from the purge valve to the housing, I see no continuation of the hose from the canister to the housing. I don't have an emissions check here in Texas bc my car is technically a classic (I'm not arguin'!) so can I just plug these connections? I can't find any trace of where the other hose goes.

Thanks for your help, guys, I'm almost there.
Attached Thumbnails 1976 450SLC Vacuum Issues-img_0251.jpg   1976 450SLC Vacuum Issues-img_0240.jpg  

Last edited by griebs; 05-03-2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Added diagram
Old 05-03-2012, 07:37 PM

82 380SL 96 SL500
I'm not going to waste your time by trying to answer questions about a model I'm not intimately familiar with.
FWIW, the Haynes manual has a reputation of sucking so here's the official MB manual.

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...tedDocId=11883

...and a vacuum thread on another forum with LOTS of models included.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c1...-diagrams.html

Good luck.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:29 PM

'76 450SLC
Alan, I've been all over that thread-- only Haynes for '76-- but many thanks for the link to the official MB manny, should keep me busy for a while.