SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: 75 450SL wont start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
450SL
75 450SL wont start

1975 450SL had been running just fine and I did a spark plug and wire change started it and it ran until fuel was out of lines. It will start with a shot of starting fluid so the ignition system is working. I did some research that points to the fuel pump relay but before I go to that expense I would like to be more certain. I am getting no fuel. I can hear the fuel pump start and turn off as it hits pressure.I also read the fuel accumulator can cause problems but it seemed it was mostly hot starts. Could some one give me a list of things to check before I just start throwing money at it.
Prior thanks to all that give suggestions.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:40 AM

1985 380 sl
when a fuel injected vehicle is ran out of gas ... it wrecks the fuel pump ... that is my experience ... and probably what happened ... its real easy to change in an sl.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:35 AM

560SL
Originally Posted by center valley
1975 450SL had been running just fine and I did a spark plug and wire change started it and it ran until fuel was out of lines. It will start with a shot of starting fluid so the ignition system is working. I did some research that points to the fuel pump relay but before I go to that expense I would like to be more certain. I am getting no fuel. I can hear the fuel pump start and turn off as it hits pressure.I also read the fuel accumulator can cause problems but it seemed it was mostly hot starts. Could some one give me a list of things to check before I just start throwing money at it.
Prior thanks to all that give suggestions.
The fuel pump relay is more than just a relay. It turns the fuel pump off unless it receives
pulses from somewhere (can't remember if it is the ignition system or the fuel injection system). There is a thread (can't remember where) about temporarily connecting
two of the relay's pins to make it think it is getting the pulses it needs, to determine
where the problem is. This is an important safety device to keep from feeding fuel
to a non-running engine.