SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: looking to buy need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
560sl (want one!)
looking to buy need help

Greetings - brand new to the forum (in fact 1st forum I've ever joined for anything!) I've recently become obsessed with the desire to by a 560sl and have narrowed down to wanting an 88 or 89. I've been searching here and there and learning alot about what to look for and be careful of when buying and need more education and input on all matters important. One of the issues I see frequently discussed relates to problems with the climate control/center vents/AC, etc... but I don't fully understand what that actual issue is. Since I don't own one yet and never have, I'm not even sure how to test for this issue when I'm looking at potential cars to purchase. Quite frankly, I don't even understand what each of the climate control buttons is supposed to do, so I wouldn't know how to test for the issue once I know what it is. So let's start there, please. What are each of the buttons in the climate control unit supposed to do when it is fully functional? What is the common issue with climate control? And how can I test the system when looking at cars for potential purchase.
thanks
Sharks
Old 05-19-2013, 07:45 AM

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
'19 E4504S Wagon.'88 560SL, '19 Ford SD F250 FX4 CCSB Limited, '19 Newmar Essex 4551, 17 MiniS
Originally Posted by Sharks
Greetings - brand new to the forum (in fact 1st forum I've ever joined for anything!) I've recently become obsessed with the desire to by a 560sl and have narrowed down to wanting an 88 or 89. I've been searching here and there and learning alot about what to look for and be careful of when buying and need more education and input on all matters important. One of the issues I see frequently discussed relates to problems with the climate control/center vents/AC, etc... but I don't fully understand what that actual issue is. Since I don't own one yet and never have, I'm not even sure how to test for this issue when I'm looking at potential cars to purchase. Quite frankly, I don't even understand what each of the climate control buttons is supposed to do, so I wouldn't know how to test for the issue once I know what it is. So let's start there, please. What are each of the buttons in the climate control unit supposed to do when it is fully functional? What is the common issue with climate control? And how can I test the system when looking at cars for potential purchase.
thanks
Sharks
You should also consider joining the Benzworld Forum where you"ll find loads of info, lessons learned and advice from its many members;

Www.benzworld.org

C/R 107 section