SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: Sad Rant. How do others handle it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo & Mercedes
Sad Rant. How do others handle it?

I am curious: how do you all keep positive about your 107s when unpleasantness strikes?

Mine (1973 450 SLC, 175k miles, in the family since new) has been a wonderful car for me for the most part. I entered ownership knowing she would be need care and I have always taken her to the best locations around my area (Mass). I never spared time nor cost in repairs since I intended to keep the car rolling for another 40 years. Recently though, it seems like the car doesn't want to roll on. But I have no trust that any fix would hold anymore. If shops MBZ recommends themselves cannot solve the problems, who can?

Certain areas always seem broken, no matter how many times I fix them: chronic ignition problems, sporadic hot-start problems, failed window regulators, stuck temp. levers, power delivery fluctuations... Interestingly, she has never dripped nor burnt a drop of engine oil.

It seems like this scenario is always playing. Problems present, in she goes for service, reemerging several months (and several thousand dollars) later. Then, all excited, I start her up for a trip only to find the same problem comes back or a new one emerges. Last time was a high idle (3k rpm) and wild misfires (worse than usual), which had been "fixed" a few months prior. That part is worse than the bill. Having one's excitement turn to disappointment after turning the key is awful. Again and again and again.

Making matters worse, the shop where I have been taking her (and just about every other 107 owner in the North East), treated the customer and patient poorly. So badly in fact, that I don't trust them to do any more diagnostic work.

I love the car but all these issues and constant disappointments have become too frequent and trying for me. I used to fantasize about sending her to the Classic Center in California or Germany to be fixed "once and for all". At this point I wouldn't put my trust even into an engine rebuild. Some areas have been rebuilt (vacuum system) but are still plagued by issues. If we could get some reasonable time/mileages between repairs, that would be one thing.

Truthfully, I would not own the SLC if it had not been given to me. The car has grown on me over the years and I appreciate her design, engineering, and ride. At the same time I worry more about what will go wrong next instead of where will we drive today. I find myself looking at W124 500Es and thinking about turning my SLC into a stationary showcase in the garage and then feel instantly guilty. I do get a thrill when I drive her. I just wish it lasted longer than a few months.

So there's my sad rant. I really am curious though; I can't be the only one who has had these issues. How do all of you handle the disappointments? Does anyone have an early 107 that works as Mercedes-Benz intended?