SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: 1988 560SL Fuel Issue???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
560sl
1988 560SL Fuel Issue???

New to the forum and the 560SL

Just bought this car to semi-restore for daughter. PO just put new fuel pumps and filter on it. Car started and ran but had old gas in it, one could smell it. Could only drive it a few miles before it die. Sit a bit and started right back up and could continue. Easy fix I thought. Clogged screen in gas tank.

So, I removed the tank and pump/filter cluster. Screen in tank had disintegrated, thus no filter. Tank was dirty too so I cleaned it out well with muriatic acid mixture, rinsed a few time and coated tank with two stroke gas to prevent rust. First fuel pump inlet was full of trash so that was obviously an issue. Took the cluster apart and back flushed both pumps by reversing pump polarity. Both pumps work like crazy so they seem fine. Check valves a free to move as well.

Reinstalled everything, got another fuel filter and replaced the Fuel Delivery Hose and small hose to the Fuel Accumulator. Made sure the small tip on the brass fuel suction hose part was clear too.

Now the car is hard to start and I have to press the accelerator to make it start. It won't stay running if I let off the accelerator. It runs very rough and the exhaust really smells of gas - like the choke on a carburetor car engine is stuck on.

Being the fuel feed line to the Fuel Accumulator allowed unfiltered gas to it, I wonder if that may be an issue or clogged.

Next thought was to hook the Fuel Suction Hose directly to an external gas tank to see if that has any affect as that screen in the gas tank is so 'fine', I am wondering if that may be an issue.

thanks for any helpful suggestions.