SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: Recommended Maintenance Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320 Bluetec, E320 CDI
Recommended Maintenance Advice

I have bought a 1987 SL560 with 73k original miles. The car is in excellent condition, except the prior owner only put 1k miles on the car over the last 8 years. Because the car has been sitting, I am looking for advice as to what maintenance I should perform on the car. Any advice you can provide is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-12-2018, 11:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
1988 560SL, 2017 SL 450, and a few Corvettes
Recommended Maintenance Advice

Welcome! I'm new at Mercedes ownership myself, but I've learned a few things from this forum as well as from the excellent advice given by Kent Bergsma's youtube video clips (from Mercedessource.com). You should change the ATF (removing and cleaning the pan while you're at it), change the motor oil (also removing and cleaning the pan, which probably will have a lot of sludge) changing the rear end oil, lubing the throttle ball pivots, replacing the belts, coolant, possibly change the motor and transmission mounts, spark plugs, spark plug cables, getting a new distributor and rotor, changing the brake fluid (a must every two years), getting new brake hoses (Kent will show you why), removing the door panels to lube the window tracks with white synthetic grease, pulling the valve covers (this is very important) to inspect the chain for free play and the plastic oiler tube parts, which decay and sometimes crack due to age and heat, as well as inspecting all the plastic parts at the end of hoses. I'm sure others here will also chime in, but these are the musts, I believe. Good Luck!

__________________________________________________ _________________
"Back to the wall goes Berra, it is...over the fence, homerun, the Pirates win!!"