SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: 450 SL Restore: Advice on a heart transplant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 450 SL Restore: Advice on a heart transplant

Hi Forum Members:

I'm undergoing a full restore of a 1976 Mercedes Benz 450 SL. It is near and dear to my heart as it used to be my father's original car. Unfortunately, time has not been kind to her, but now I finally have the time and ability to restore it.

That said, I'm making sure aesthetic stays original, no changes. Yet, I do want to upgrade the engine. I'm inspired by the work on Mechatroniks' work on their W111 coupes with an AMG 5.5L, but unfortunately do not have $495k for one of their vehicles. I want to add a MB engine, minimum of 300hp. Nothing outrageous (a V12) or unnecessary (any American crate).

I need your advice on what engine and transmission could work. The biggest areas where I foresee problems are the engine mounts, engine and transmission fit, and wiring harness. I'm new working on cars, but nothing great is built without a challenge. Advice not adversary responses needed.

Thank you! And I'll post pics on this build!
Old 04-08-2018, 08:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
1988 560SL, 2017 SL 450, and a few Corvettes
As a few people have already stated, Mercedes V8s have almost zero aftermarket bolt-on components to increase horsepower and torque. They're not 350 Chevy engines. But from my experience in the Chevy engines, you might be able to get up to 30 more horsepower by getting a K&N air filter, opening up the air cleaner to get more air into it, getting a more free-flowing cat converter, a performance muffler, eliminate the air injector system if your car has it and if your state allows it (due to the age of the vehicle), and eliminate the resonator in front of the muffler (if your car has one). Hope these ideas work. It's what I plan to do to my '88 560SL, except I'm keeping the emissions equipment.
The following users liked this post:
shafeeqjr (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply! And good advice. A shop nearby can do some porting and performance camshafts are an option. By the time I have them do the engine overhaul, it will be closer to $10k when done which is steep.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
1988 560SL, 2017 SL 450, and a few Corvettes
Originally Posted by shafeeqjr
Thanks for the reply! And good advice. A shop nearby can do some porting and performance camshafts are an option. By the time I have them do the engine overhaul, it will be closer to $10k when done which is steep.
Are you talking $10K for renovating the entire car, including the engine, or just for the engine work?

__________________________________________________ _________
"Back to the wall goes Berra, it is...over the fence, home run, the Pirates win!!"