SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: New here- slowly bringing back my 560sl- open to advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
560SL
New here- slowly bringing back my 560sl- open to advice

I’m

new here and I am a first time Mercedes owner and kind of jumped in not knowing much. I just knew I always wanted an R107 style Mercedes as far back as I can remember. So, last month I picked up a 1989 560 SL for what I consider a fairly good price. I purchased it for $3000 (U.S. dollars). 103,000 miles. The car runs and drives great. The previous owner had passed away a year and a half ago and family had kept the car garaged and running over that timeframe. The previous owner wasn’t a collector as the car was mainly a weekend driver. There are records going back to 2001 from the previous owner but, he didn’t have records from the previous owner. I do know the timing chain has been replaced but, not sure if it’s been upgraded to the dual row though. Will have my mechanic check it when he does the valve covers in two weeks. I knew there would a decent amount of work that I needed to have done. All planned in due time and money. Mainly some routine maintenance stuff. As well as a couple bigger things. Also, it does have some rust that is repairable, that I’m going to address over this winter. I’m not a collector nor ever intend to be. I’m just looking at this as a fun weekend driver that I’ll enjoy. The price point also, fit my budget so, I could get in it now and take some time to address all the other things. I completely understand these cars can take some $ to keep them up. I’m sure I could have saved more money over time and got one that’s just a bit cleaner and better but, I was really ready to be in one and didn’t want to wait any longer. One nice thing I consider is the repairs I’m having done will allow me to know exactly what’s been done to it. Overall I’m happy with it and very happy to be driving a vintage SL.

I have records for it going back to 2001. Here’s what the previous owner had done as far as I’m aware and have documentation.
• Transmission flush
• Both window switches replaced, hazard switch replaced, repined hazard connector, trunk latch lubed - work done at Mercedes of Des Moines
• Convertible top replaced
• Replaced water pump and all “V” belts- MB Reman water pump, power steering v-belt set, alternator v-belt, & A/C v-belt
• Pioneer Radio & speakers installed
• Replaced carpet, seats, headrest & armrest
• Replaced heater hose left side
• Replaced fan clutch, thermostat, radiator cap, brake reservoir seals
• Replace idle air tubes and injector seals. Replace EHA valve

Here’s what I’ve had done so far:
• Both front lower ball joints
• Both front wheel bearings
• 2 Tires- 205/65R/15 - Wheel alignment
• Flush and change transmission fluid, Replace transmission pan, gasket, and filter
• Flush and change coolant & Replaced upper radiator hose

Here’s what my plan to still do:
• Oil change & Replace valve cover gaskets (within the next two weeks)
• Replace steering gearbox due to excessive play (within the next few months)
• Tune up, plugs etc (within the next few months)
• Steam clean or deep clean the engine. (within the next few months)
• Repair rust & completely repainted– (over this winter)
• Replace Main engine wiring harness

A few other things that need replaced or repaired at some point.
• Heat shielding on catalytic converter is gone.
• Both door panels need recovered since there is a small tear in each
• Sun visors need new clips
• Refinish the wood interior panels.
• Drivers side rear tai light has a chip in it and needs replaced

I’m completely open for guidance on where to find things and what else to do. I’ll slowly be reviving my 560sl back to its glory. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-09-2018, 01:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1986 560sl
Pictures look like a great car. Sounds like a real bargain. New seats are worth about 2 grand alone. Also, 560's have a dual row timing chain. At 103 k you should definitely have a knowlegaed mechanic look at the guides. If they are dark brown I think the consensus is to have them changed. Maybe the chain too after inspection. Enjoy.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:02 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
1988 560SL, 2017 SL 450, and a few Corvettes
I would also have your mechanic check the motor and transmission mounts. Grease all the throttle ball-and-cups with synthetic grease. Is that main wiring harness really that bad? Might be a lot of labor to replace. Later on, for a nice low exhaust rumble, you could eliminate the muffler unless it's needed for state inspection. Will sound great at an idle and at takeoff, and hardly heard on the highway. I had this done on my '88 560SL, expecting it to be too loud, but both the catalytic converter and resonator combine to keep the sound low. Always stay with Mercedes coolant; it's different than what you find at auto parts stores. Two excellent (and separate) mechanics that have continuing clips on YouTube on maintaining and repairing older Mercedes like ours are Pierre Hedary and Kent at Mercedessource.com. With your updated radio, later you might replace the front speakers with better ones from a stereo shop, and maybe add a small amp under the passenger seat and two 6x9s for the rear. You probably know that genuine Mercedes parts are the ones to use, and they can be found at online stores much cheaper than the dealer. If I can be of any other help, just ask.

Last edited by Arizona Mike; 10-09-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
1989 560SL
Nice purchase. The transmission went out on my 2006 S430 2 weeks ago and cost to repair was more than value of car at trade in, so I had it towed to CarMax and got a whopping $1200 ... literally mint condition with 93K and taken care of by certified MB mechanics from day 1. To offset my sorrow, I went shopping for my dream car, a 1989 560SL and nearly identical to your car but with 54,517 miles, however, I paid $15K and my mechanic told me I got a steal, even with your needed repairs I think you truly got a steal as the cheapest driveable car I could find online was around $10K and much higher mileage. 100K in mileage seems to be about average ... very impressed with your purchase as average auction price for 1989 560SL is $21,000 accordingly Hagerty auctions.

I’m currently in the process of making mine a daily driver (~7K miles / year) and thought my prices might help with your budget although I am trying to use genuine MB parts and keep it all original with plans to shop for vintage on a few of the minor costmetic items I’m replacing. Kudos to my wife and 3 kids for letting dad just own his mini mid life crisis with only a few eye rolls from my wife prior to purchase.

- E-service (fluids, filters, etc) ($950)
- transmission flush ($300)
- coolant flush ($150)
- replace 5 engine belts ($275)
- replaced steering coupler ($850)
- replaced shifter bushings ($150)
- replaced hood liner + seal ($200 - self install)
- new softop installed ($1300)
- installing leather jump seat ($1100 - self install) - a requirement from wife due to my occasional car pool duty
- refinished wood trim - holding off for now but priced it out at $475 (self removal / install)

Previous owner serviced ... new brakes, suspension, tie rod ends, HVAC, new tires, visor clips, new battery and some smaller items.

Others may have more suggestions but I’ve found Pelican Parts to be a great source for both genuine MB parts and how to videos, World Upholstery for nearly everything on the interior and this forum for tons of great insight.

Lastly, you should google Miracle (or Magic) Paint for the rust although I don’t believe you’ll want to use it on exterior.

Enjoy!

Old 11-02-2018, 07:52 AM

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
450SL
Using Pelican Parts for genuine MB parts will cost you more than some Mercedes dealers. They charge more than MSRP. There are several Mercedes dealers that sell parts at a discount on line. Most around 25% off MSRP. One I have used is OE Discount parts. https://www.oediscountparts.com/part...?siteid=215242 They only list '84 up vehicles but they can get all years.
The following users liked this post:
Arizona Mike (11-02-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 05:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
1989 560SL
Thanks for recommendation on oediscountparts.com

I checked it out and had I known earlier, I would have saved several hundred $$ on items I’ve already purchased from pelicanparts.com.

I’ll be checking them out first from now on - much appreciated!