SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: Fuel leak from distributor WUR line

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1984 r107 280sl
Smile Fuel leak from distributor WUR line

Hey all,

I work on a 1984 R107 280SL for fun so I'm learning a lot about this model.especially the distributor. After replacing the decades old injectors I got white smoke from the exhaust. Took it to a specialized mechanic who told me one of the fuel injectors was free spraying fuel into the combustion block which was causing the white smoke (so hopefully NOT a gasket head issue). I took it back, cleaned up the distributor, put new o-rings in, rubber manifold and plunger look good, and threw it back on the car.

For a moment I thought it was fixed and the white smoke was gone, but then I noticed a fuel leak from the WUR/cold start line at the top of the distributor (on this Bosch distributor the WUR port is inconveniently placed between the fuel line threads making it a real struggle whenever it needs to be disconnected because you cant fit a spanner onto the nut to hold it still) and the white smoke returned. I reckon the fuel pressure dampener may be bad/stuck in place, the distributor has an issue that's beyond my knowing, maybe I need to lean out the fuel, or maybe the one injector is bad. I've been shopping around for a fuel pressure gauge and am returning the last one because there isn't enough room for the adapter bit between the fuel line threads (ugh!). I figure even if I get the fuel pressure though the possibilities remain. Does anyone have insight for a layman mechanic on what is going on? Hopefully one day soon I can drive this over to the Freddy's car show. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-14-2022, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 718 Likes on 535 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
white = coolant burning.
Blueish = oil
Black = fuel