SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: New 1972 350SL project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 06:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
350SL
New 1972 350SL project

I picked this up today, it was kind of cheap....because it needs a lot. But I might be able to get it roadworthy without too much, I hope. Or not.

Has a new fuel tank and pump. Needs a lot of other stuff. I heard the engine run a little before the battery died completely, it is relatively quiet, aside from the exhaust leak, perhaps near the rear of the pass side cylinder head.

Being from Arizona, it has no rust, aside from a little in the trunk from water leaking in.

It was dark blue, before being painted green.

The interior is pretty rough. There are 186k miles showing.

Old 11-27-2022, 05:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 710 Likes on 527 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
that could become a sweet weekend cruiser...

one of my fave body styles that and the SEL of same years.. early to mid 70's...

classic!

good luck and take pics on your journey to restoration
Old 11-27-2022, 10:22 AM

350SL
thanks!

A few pictures of the stuff I'm looking at today. The car has obviously sat for quite a while, to get that much rust on the rotors in Phoenix. The brakes don't work, the pedal goes to the floor, although the master cylinder is full of fluid. I'll probably try bleeding them and see if anything starts to happen. I expect I'll probably need to replace most of the system, though.

The engine

The master cylinder

Left front brake. Note the drill bit.

The right rear brake. Note the lack of a bleeder screw, it's broken off.
Old 11-27-2022, 06:44 PM

350SL
I did some tinkering today, to help see where I am. The wiring was a rats nest, mostly from added on car alarms, stereos, old cell phones, etc. I took all that out. I also ordered some brake parts, such as rotors, pads, hoses, caliper kits, master cylinder. I expect I'll need to get a few more parts, and some of the stuff I ordered may not fit, since the 1972 car is kind of unique, as brake parts go. I did figure out that it has ATE calipers front and rear.

I need to buy a battery to get the car running again, although there's not a big rush, as it has no wheels on it now....

radio wiring

alarm system wiring

circa 1988 cell phone module

fuse panel

Front caliper apart
Old 11-28-2022, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 710 Likes on 527 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
the wiring - argggggggggg I ahte running into someone else's attempt at wiring as you never know what went where or goes where or anything....

Good luck and keep em coming...

Are you going to paint it back to original color? I would

The interior parts need some cleaning love
Old 11-28-2022, 08:34 AM

350SL
I made a good start on the wiring by getting rid of the added-on stuff, now I just have to deal with some problems with the original wiring....the power window and fuel pump both had the original stuff "bypassed", so I need to figure out why, and get them working. The rest of the original wiring (aside from the radio/speaker wires) appears to be original and probably usable.

I have no plans to do any cosmetic restoration....I just want to get it all working, and drive it. I've restored a few other cars, I know how much effort that takes. If I wanted a nice looking car, I would have spent the money for it up front!
Old 11-28-2022, 02:43 PM

350SL
I got the fuel pump to work, by just reconnecting the original wires to it. I don't know why someone ran another wire to it. I also got the passenger side power window to get power by putting the hidden fuse back in (in the little plastic box, on the relay support), But the motor/regulator doesn't work, so I guess that's why the fuse was removed. I also got the broken door handle out of the pass side door, it's definitely broken. I'll find a used replacement for it.

The engine is running again, with the new battery installed.

I can't get the hardtop off, either. The two front and two side latches unlatch. But the rear pin in the middle won't unlatch. The levers for it don't seem to want to do what they're supposed to do. The pin comes out about an inch, then stops moving. I guess I'll have to find some pictures of the latch system, so I can get some idea what's going on in there where I can't see it.

hardtop won't quite unlatch