SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: Engine Swap Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2024 | 10:50 AM

1997 SL500
Engine Swap Question

Hi Gang,

I have an engine swap question that I promise I researched but I’m still not finding a specific answer to a specific question.

I have the opportunity to pick up a decent 1979 380SL for a good price. The problem is, I don’t like the V8 engines very much and I prefer the straight six over any of the V8’s, especially the 380 because that’s the one with the timing chain issue.

I also have the opportunity to pick up a 1982 straight six engine & transmission complete with wiring harness and engine management system.

Here’s the question, can I easily (without any drama) swap in the straight six drive train (or at least the engine) into the 1979 380SL?

Will she pretty much bolt right in without any major modifications like engine mounting points, etc., etc., etc., or am I looking at a major project?

Any & all answers are welcome, thanks in advance…..
Old 09-30-2024 | 03:46 AM
Eid

Slc280
I swapped my slc450 v8 with a straight six 2jz and a manual 6 speed transmission, check my IG account: c107_project.

did a custom engine mount that bolt directly the oem engine mount place and a custom transmission mount that bolt also to the oem bolts.

didn't do any welding or cutting other than the transmission tunnel as the oem transmission is very small and thin.

please take a look at my page and ill be glad to assist with my knowledge.

good luck

The following users liked this post:
Never-Again (10-01-2024)
Old 09-30-2024 | 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by Never-Again
Hi Gang,

I have an engine swap question that I promise I researched but I’m still not finding a specific answer to a specific question.

I have the opportunity to pick up a decent 1979 380SL for a good price. The problem is, I don’t like the V8 engines very much and I prefer the straight six over any of the V8’s, especially the 380 because that’s the one with the timing chain issue.

I also have the opportunity to pick up a 1982 straight six engine & transmission complete with wiring harness and engine management system.

Here’s the question, can I easily (without any drama) swap in the straight six drive train (or at least the engine) into the 1979 380SL?

Will she pretty much bolt right in without any major modifications like engine mounting points, etc., etc., etc., or am I looking at a major project?

Any & all answers are welcome, thanks in advance…..
MB to MB swaps are easy if you have two vehicles - recipient and donor. Should work out just fine. If you don’t have everything from the donor vehicle you will be fabricating to chasing rare/NLA parts for ever.

but the bigger question is why - why not just find a nice euro 280 ?
Never-Again (10-01-2024)
Old 10-01-2024 | 08:19 PM

1997 SL500
Originally Posted by Eid
I swapped my slc450 v8 with a straight six 2jz and a manual 6 speed transmission, check my IG account: c107_project.

did a custom engine mount that bolt directly the oem engine mount place and a custom transmission mount that bolt also to the oem bolts.

didn't do any welding or cutting other than the transmission tunnel as the oem transmission is very small and thin.

please take a look at my page and ill be glad to assist with my knowledge.

good luck
Thanks so much, your set up looks great....
Old 10-01-2024 | 08:35 PM

1997 SL500
Originally Posted by Max Blast
MB to MB swaps are easy if you have two vehicles - recipient and donor. Should work out just fine. If you don’t have everything from the donor vehicle you will be fabricating to chasing rare/NLA parts for ever.

but the bigger question is why - why not just find a nice euro 280 ?
Thanks for the reply, the simple answer to your question is......."there are none"

Th grey market 280SL's that were imported into the US were imported in very limited numbers and so by now there are only two types available:

1: the ones that are in pristine condition and the owners want a small fortune for them because they know how rare they are, and they almost always want way above market value

2: the ones that are completely clapped out (like the one I have the opportunity to get) that you can pick up for next to nothing because it needs a complete restoration

Buying a decent, rust-free 380SL for a couple of grand, and paying a few hundred bucks for the clapped out 280SL (doing an engine swap) puts me well under what I would pay for a really nice stock 280SL, and the engine in the 280 is in good shape.

There are no middle of road versions of the 280SL's selling for a decent price, where's all they'll need may be need a paint job and some minor mechanical work.

Trust me, I've been looking for years.....

Old 10-04-2024 | 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Think you got this well sorted then.
Never-Again (10-05-2024)