SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Anyone Have Info on all-new upcoming 6.3 s/c or biturbo AMG engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 SL 55 Black/Black w/mods from Eurocharged/Kleemann/BuckheadImports
Question Anyone Have Info on all-new upcoming 6.3 s/c or biturbo AMG engine?

I read in some UK car mag the other day that AMG engineers are planning on taking the all-new 6.3 liter n/a AMG V-8 and either supercharging it or putting twin turbo's on it for their top of the line SL/CL/S Class models for maybe 2008 model year. Has anyone heard anything about this? Any other info? I heard minimum 650 horsepower, and better acceleration and handling than the current SL 65 and CL/S 65.

And is AMG working on a DOHC 4 Valve 12 cylinder engine yet? Wouldn't they be able to get alot more power out of their 12 cylinder bi-turbo engines if they do this?

Lastly, also heard they are working hard on coming up with a seriously strengthened version of the 7-speed AMG transmission so that it can handle these next generation 650 horsepower or 700+ horsepower AMG cars. Is this true? They can't use the 5-speed auto forever can they
Old 08-30-2005, 06:36 PM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
You're a dreamer....simple as.

No offence, but I've read a lot of your posts and I always see 700hp...800hp...1200hp this or that. DSG and Super lights SL's with carbon this or carbon that. Not to be rude about this, but this is pretty childish stuff. Speculation is good for the heart, but you so easily blur the lines between speculation and dreams its unreal. AMG do make some pretty crazy cars, a 600hp S-Class is outrageous, extravagant, pointless but you'd never feel it, it will plow along like an S320 until you hammer it, once the novelty of its sheer thrust wears off, what your left with is an S-Class, plain and simple. Not to take anything away from all the great cars that AMG produces, I love 'em all, but the last thing they need is another 500000hp. For a car to be loved it has to have soul and emotion, AMG cars just don't have that yet. I'm not talking about AMG having to become Ferrari, but just give the driver so much more than a 6 million HP engine attached to a loud pedal....

Producing a N/A 6.3 V8 with 500hp and an absurd exhaust note is the first step and it seems AMG are headed in the right direction. Patience is a virtue....all in good time.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:41 PM

Probably

Well, as we all here know MB one way or another, I guess in terms of engine not all would really know if they REALLY are building soemthing new in the replacement of the current 65 line up. If the engine is to be a modifed version of the new AMG 6.3 engine, well, hmmm..... in my personal analysis, its not gonna be the 6.3 engine, its going to be a totally new one. I read one article about the new AMG (6.3) that it was designed and under development way back 2001/2002. So if that was really the case, then, by now I guess AMG has something more for us but I don't think it'll be based from the NEW 6.3 engine. That's only a guess though.

Transmission wise, I would agree with you that if a new engine comes out, a transmission for that should be at least parallel in terms of reliability, power and perfromance. With that said, if ever there would be a strengthened version of the current 7 Speed AMG then it'll be most likely a modified one OR a totally new 7 speed capable now of being mated with new AMG engines in the future.

P.S.: All the things I said here are only PERSONAL ASSUMPTIONS and its not of any sort proven or whatsoever EXCEPT for the AMG 6.3 (current new engine) that was designed and developed last 2001/2002.

Last edited by SL%%; 08-30-2005 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:07 PM

SL55, ML500, GT3 RS, 997C2S
I asked the North America AMG man about the TT 6.3 at Lime Rock and he replied without skipping a beat. It's not ready yet, most likely next year.
The side effect will be that the turbos will soak up some of that great sound.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:30 PM

Fankly

I think Mercedes is better in N/A rather than putting those turbos and supercharger. I didn't say they suck in terms of putting turbos or supercharger, but I guess they are far more better with stand alone N/A and without the turbos and supercharger.