SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Carbon Fiber Interior (R230)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 05:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does your CF from Lorinser have logo/brand "Lorinser" stamped on it?
Old 10-26-2005, 07:34 PM

SL55AMG
Originally Posted by JMStandish
Does your CF from Lorinser have logo/brand "Lorinser" stamped on it?
No. I specifically ordered it with no logo as I thought that was a clash with the AMG theme. I didn't want it to start looking like a stock car with lots of logos.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Yes, the logos would clash; very nice interor. How long from order to you recieving the CF product? For comparative, Renntech told me they send out to Germany, takes 6-8 weeks. Did you install? If so, was it a simple process? Assume Lorinser has several shades to choose from. Were there additional CF pieces that you did not opt for? Any info on your experience is appreciated.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:19 PM

SL55AMG
Originally Posted by JMStandish
Yes, the logos would clash; very nice interor. How long from order to you recieving the CF product? For comparative, Renntech told me they send out to Germany, takes 6-8 weeks. Did you install? If so, was it a simple process? Assume Lorinser has several shades to choose from. Were there additional CF pieces that you did not opt for? Any info on your experience is appreciated.
8 week delivery, but I didn't need to send them my existing interior. (You are required to send it to them after install or they keep your core charge deposit) No way is it a do-it-yourself install unless that's what you do for living. I had a local customizer do it and it took them 11 hours. I got pretty much the whole kit. The only other peices I've seen available are replacement seatbelt shrouds aht go on the outer seat shoulders, in place of the existing satin steel.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK500, 04 X3, No 07 GT3RS :(
I'm definitely not trying to challenge you because I have never ripped apart a SL and could very well be a bit off base, but the install time that you were told sounds a bit inflated at first glance. I was quoted 7 hours from a local shop to remove my trim and did it myself in 45 mins having never done it myself using a $5 interior trim removal tool from the local auto shop.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
Originally Posted by Frisco
I'm definitely not trying to challenge you because I have never ripped apart a SL and could very well be a bit off base, but the install time that you were told sounds a bit inflated at first glance. I was quoted 7 hours from a local shop to remove my trim and did it myself in 45 mins having never done it myself using a $5 interior trim removal tool from the local auto shop.
I do see your point, but some of us wouldn't dare touch stuff like this on our cars for fear of messing something up. For instance I did a wood trim package on the ESV myself and thought nothing of it but I wouldn't dare touch the SLs interior. That's just me
Old 10-27-2005, 12:43 AM

SL55AMG
Originally Posted by Frisco
I was quoted 7 hours from a local shop to remove my trim and did it myself in 45 mins having never done it myself using a $5 interior trim removal tool from the local auto shop.
You know, if you have the confidence, have at. I just know that every time I get involved with a do-it-myself project that's outside of my immediate sphere of knowledge, it ends up costing me time, mony and causing lots of frustration. BTW, I didn't say I was charged for 11 hours, just that's how long it took. They charged me a flat rate but were concientious enough to take the time to do it right. At this point in my life, getting done right is more important than the gratification of saying I did it myself.

PS
Gotta run. Busy taking out my own appendix. (Sorry, that wasn't a shot. I just couldn't resist)
Old 10-27-2005, 12:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SLVRSL55
You know, if you have the confidence, have at. I just know that every time I get involved with a do-it-myself project that's outside of my immediate sphere of knowledge, it ends up costing me time, mony and causing lots of frustration. BTW, I didn't say I was charged for 11 hours, just that's how long it took. They charged me a flat rate but were concientious enough to take the time to do it right. At this point in my life, getting done right is more important than the gratification of saying I did it myself.

PS
Gotta run. Busy taking out my own appendix. (Sorry, that wasn't a shot. I just couldn't resist)
Post pictures.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:45 AM
Almost a Member!

Off topic...

Off topic, but I've recently discovered a performance wheel RSV-20 from Kahn for SL230 at http://www.kahndes********/collection/rsv1/index4.htm#. Not sure what to make of it (I've never seen in US).

Another link (scroll down to Mercedes SL section): http://www.projectkahn.com/Gallery/

Then finally... 'Project Kahn Mercedes': http://www.projectkahnmercedes.com/ (intersting 'interior' section)

Here's a look at the RS-V wheels; following are Carlsson's ULs. If specs were the same, if you had to choose one on looks, which?
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Interior (R230)-kahn1.jpg   Carbon Fiber Interior (R230)-carlsson2-pic.jpg  

Last edited by JMStandish; 10-27-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I find it to look really cheap. IMO without lip the car just doesn't look classy nor 'expensive'.

Plus, it doesn't have any information such as the construction of the wheel, weight or antyhing like that. I'm still sticking to companies I know about.