SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Sl 55 Amg Vs Ferrari 360 Modena

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sl 55 Amg Vs Ferrari 360 Modena

THE BATTLE IS OPEN ?

what do you think about the winner ??

who is the winner ?

ferrari 360 modena or SL55 AMG

SAy me what, i will say you the answer more later....
Old 11-21-2005, 11:29 AM

SLK 55 AMG
The SLK 55 AMG can do 0-60 in 4.3 seconds according to some. I think that (depending on the circumstances) is faster then the SL 55 (and it probably out handles the SL in the corners as well).

Anyway, why am I saying this?

Well, I have a friend who has a black Modena. We went racing on some country lanes (not side by side, just one behind the other). On the first run (each run lasted about an hour) I followed his 360 with my SLK. He was UNABLE to shake me off. The massive torque in the SLK really helped in the ups and downs and undulating forest roads especially. He was quite surprised...

Then we swapped cars a few weeks later, and he totally managed to escape me. I just couldn't keep up with him in some situations. But most of that I would say is down to me not being as good with the manual, as he is. It's just so easy to outrun a manual, in an automatic, if the guy driving the manual mostly tends to drive automatics (if you get my drift).

So... which one is better? I'd say the SL or SLK is pretty much neck to neck with the Modena. The 360 is just so very light, and with 400hp, has tons of power. The SLK and SL however have just about double the torque, which makes them able to catch up in situations where the Modena has to let go for a bit while changing gears and all that. An F1 equipped Modena might have a better change, and a CS would outrun the SLK and SL in my opinion.

I'm of course speaking from experience, but this experience is only limited to a few hours of fun whilst comparing the two cars. Nothing definitive.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:31 PM

you r right

the sl 55 is more faster than the ferrari because we made a challenge, two friends and the friend with the modena lost the race...

you r right SHINIGAMI ichigo
Old 11-21-2005, 06:58 PM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Originally Posted by wicem
you r right the sl 55 is more faster than the ferrari because we made a challenge, two friends and the friend with the modena lost the race... you r right SHINIGAMI ichigo
Well, I don't think losing a race is proof. I lost a "race" in my SL55 v. a stock 350Z only because I refused to stay on the pedal past 90MPH (of course I had him easily until that mark).

My guess is that off line the SL55 will pull well against the Modena. Hard to believe that all things equal (drivers), that the Modena wouldn't end up on top through the turns.

~ Ian
Old 11-21-2005, 10:04 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
In a drag the SL will take it but on a track or road coarse the Modena will walk away. Handling is what the Modena does best. It is very low on tourqe though.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I have been a Ferrari guy for a long time, but I have used the SL55 on a multitude of Ferrari club drives through the mountains and have been told by alot of 360 and 550/575 owners who were shocked by the SL, the following, "I didn't stand a chance with my XXXXXXXXX. That SL is amazing".

That 360 spanking has also included a CS. No armchair, "who has the most HP and double torque....and what weighs what"....just the facts. AMG has built an amazing all around car......if it lost about 1000 pounds it would be incredible.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
......if it lost about 1000 pounds it would be incredible.
If it lost 1000 pounds it wouldn't be a Mercedes :p
Old 11-22-2005, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have both a sl55 and a 360 spider...i really think they are about the same...though the sl55 feels a lot more powerful....
Old 11-22-2005, 04:39 PM

2005 E55
I did 10 lap with 360 modena following me. I pulled away from the Modena in the striaghts and turns. I have video of it but need to host it some where. Any help would be great. Me E55 was on the stock Conti.
I have been a Ferrari guy for a long time, but I have used the SL55 on a multitude of Ferrari club drives through the mountains and have been told by alot of 360 and 550/575 owners who were shocked by the SL, the following, "I didn't stand a chance with my XXXXXXXXX. That SL is amazing".

That 360 spanking has also included a CS. No armchair, "who has the most HP and double torque....and what weighs what"....just the facts. AMG has built an amazing all around car......if it lost about 1000 pounds it would be incredible.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by draggingcents2
I did 10 lap with 360 modena following me. I pulled away from the Modena in the striaghts and turns. I have video of it but need to host it some where. Any help would be great. Me E55 was on the stock Conti.
dont take this in a wrong way...but u must be a much better driver than the person in the 360...otherwise i dont think it would ever happen
Old 11-22-2005, 05:41 PM

MGT, 12 CLS63 Launch
Originally Posted by GDautosport
dont take this in a wrong way...but u must be a much better driver than the person in the 360...otherwise i dont think it would ever happen
thats prob true, but isn't that what racing is all about, the driver? I don't believe in all this mag racing, if the two cars are comparable then what counts is the driver... now if a civic beats you then you need to be
Old 11-22-2005, 05:47 PM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Originally Posted by TectiteE
thats prob true, but isn't that what racing is all about, the driver? I don't believe in all this mag racing, if the two cars are comparable then what counts is the driver... now if a civic beats you then you need to be
Drivers make a MONSTROUS difference... Within reason, I think the boards too often compare cars when drivers are making up most of the difference.

Just my 2 cents.

~ Ian
Old 11-23-2005, 01:46 AM

yea exactly...the thread was comparing the two cars, assuming similar drivers....otherwise one can say a c-class is faster than a 360.... cause im sure the best driver in a c-class (even a non-amg one, knowing the track) would smoke me in my 360
Old 11-23-2005, 04:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
sl 55 would win in a straight, from any speed to any speed.
the slk will end up losing in the long run.
i raced a 360 on the street, i over took him around the outside of a turn, ****in *****
Old 11-23-2005, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
I would safely say that the SL55 would win!

I raced a Modena in my E39 M5 a year ago, the Modena did whip my butt.. but very slowly.

Then I raced an SL55 and got my butt handed to me on a plate! I didnt even have time to hold on to it.

Hence.... the switch! ( and the drop top ofcourse )
Old 11-23-2005, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by TectiteE
ABSOLUTELY TRUE!! The day I showed a 360CS the back of the SL55 may have been driver related....

I was heading down a long straight that leads to 15 miles of switchbacks. The 360 came up hard and screamed past (on the straight). I had no problem reeling him in and staying with him. But as soon as the road started to turn from straights into curves, he was massively holding me up. I waited about 5 corners, set him up leading onto a short straight.....past him...outbraked him............and never saw him again until I stopped and waited 5 minutes for him to catch up. Was that the car? Maybe. But I think that there was probably some driver input and knowledge of the road involved. Theoretically the CS should have said good-bye to me.

I personally think that too many cars have too much power for the average driver to control. Anyone with a good credit rating can have a 500hp car........whether or not they can actually handle anything more than a Cavalier's power. Every performance car should come with a driver's school.

I personally learned car control with old Alfa's and Fiats. I had a Fiat X 1/9 that I used to abuse the back roads and autocross courses. It had less than 100hp, no ABS, ESP, ABC or anything else to save you............except your skill. I remember embarrassing a Porsche 928 with it. It was huge fun.....and I learned how to drive. Now, you have people who just go buy a 500hp car, have no idea about car control....they hope that the alphabet soup of driver aids will save their butt. Most also want more HP and do mods to get it. They end up scaring the crap out of themselves....and then end up posing with the valet for pics and talking about which car is faster. Where if they simply learned how to drive without driver aids with low HP and worked their way up....they would have much more fun. Frankly, the last thing our 55's need is more HP....we need to improve the weak link in the chain....the driver.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:27 PM

ALPINA B12 5,7 Coupe #22/57
I personally think that too many cars have too much power for the average driver to control.
I think it is safe to say that you could loose "think" in that sentence and replace it with "I am sure", because it definatly is.

In any race that involve turning on the wheel and braking, the driver is the most important factor. That why it is somethime funny how a kill story imidiatly turn into fight between brands, where it actually is a fight between drivers.

The Ferrari needs a lot more skill to drive to the limit than any MB or Bimmer for that matter. I if this kind of race happend on a public road, the winner is normaly the persons with the biggest ***** or the smallest brain......

I strongly belive if you put 2 normally experienced driver into a car like the SL and the 360, the SL would probably stay with or maybe take the lead. But if you put 2 really experienced driver into them, it would get ugly.
But in any case the SL has proven its ability on the ring and came out very good for such an heavy car.

Put Michael Schumacher in a SLK230 and he will probably toast 99% of the board member here in their SL55 on a race track.

Very OT but I give you a funny expamle.

You know the program TOP GEAR, where Jeremy Clarckson is testing cars, a while back he drove Jaguar Diesel and he was fighting to get below 10 min I belive it was.

After several hours he managed it, then a pro femail racedriver that drives the Ring taxi for a living and scares the living **** out of tourist on daily bases in the M5, told him that she should beat his lap time in a Ford Transit Diesel.125 Hp.......

The funny thing was, she almost did, she lost with only a few sec....

Last edited by Erik; 11-29-2005 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Erik:

Perfect! Its about the drivers and their skill, not this car can beat that car. Well put.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:17 PM

2005 Chrysler 300c and 2004 Range Rover hse
I would take the 360, i dont care about how fast it is. If you drive in a 360 modena its gonna turn heads and if you drive an SL its like seen one seen it all. jus my 2 cents
Old 12-10-2005, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BLK 300C
I would take the 360, i dont care about how fast it is. If you drive in a 360 modena its gonna turn heads and if you drive an SL its like seen one seen it all. jus my 2 cents
This is what's wrong with most newer Fcar and exotic owners. They are primarily concerned with who's lookin'. For me the only reason to have a fast car..........is to drive fast. Otherwise, what's the point? A better valet spot?
Old 12-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 CLK500 Coupe
That top gear episode was incredible, but they had to strip off some stuff from the Ford Transit.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:44 PM

This is what's wrong with most newer Fcar and exotic owners. They are primarily concerned with who's lookin'. For me the only reason to have a fast car..........is to drive fast. Otherwise, what's the point? A better valet spot?
The people that think like you do end up on the last pages of DUB magazine in the Wrecked Exotics section for all of us readers to laugh at. Maybe not you but alot of the owners

Last edited by BLK 300C; 12-13-2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
The people that think like you do end up on the last pages of DUB magazine in the Wrecked Exotics section for all of us readers to laugh at. Maybe not you but alot of the owners
I think we're deviating from the point here. I think the bottom line is.. which of the two cars is quicker if the driver was the same?

And I still stand by my choice of SL55 AMG!
Old 12-15-2005, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Why would you laugh at someone else's accident where someone may have been hurt or killed? Do you laugh when you see a riced out Honda wrapped around a tree?

This is the same jealous mentality that rears it's head when someone with a nice car is broken down on the side of the road and all the losers drive by, honking and laughing. At the end of the day, the guy with the nice car will end up back at a nice home and the loser will be making fun of him fom his apartment.

All of the performance cars that are sold these days should come with a driver's school so that people can learn how to drive and enjoy their cars....and not end up on the back of some trash mag being sneered at.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:23 AM

Why would you laugh at someone else's accident where someone may have been hurt or killed? Do you laugh when you see a riced out Honda wrapped around a tree?

This is the same jealous mentality that rears it's head when someone with a nice car is broken down on the side of the road and all the losers drive by, honking and laughing. At the end of the day, the guy with the nice car will end up back at a nice home and the loser will be making fun of him fom his apartment.

All of the performance cars that are sold these days should come with a driver's school so that people can learn how to drive and enjoy their cars....and not end up on the back of some trash mag being sneered at.
Im only laughing because the reason they bought a ferarri, lamborghini, etc. is to drive it fast on a 65mph road just so they can show they got big *****. I highly doubt the cars in the back of the magazine were totaled because the person in the ferarri was driving speed limit. I dont laugh at the fact that they are hurt or killed, im laughing cause they wanted to show off and they fcked up their sht. They could have showed off by driving normally, thats it.

Last edited by BLK 300C; 12-19-2005 at 11:30 AM.