SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Which is faster...SL55 or SL65...you'll be surprised!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bentley Arnage Red Label
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
It just comes down to different strokes.........Your statement is my point. The 65 is basically a point and shoot car. The better overall package is the 55....I say that because I love road courses and mountain roads. That difference is why I sold my spot on the 65 list.

This whole drag raicng thing and 1/4 times is just a differnt phylosophy from what I think driving is all about. I think its about finding the right braking/shift points and apexing the corner just right and feeding in the gas to get the best launch out of each corner. Point and hold on just doesn't do it for me.

In the US that's all people care about. I speak with the M3 people (an obvious canyon carving package), and these guys are only concerned about 1/4 mile times as well. Oh well...........maybe I'll get it one day.........NOT!

I agree with you on the "value" issue when looking to buy the two new but completely disagree on your assessment of the 65's performance and abilities. The weight difference is 280 lbs and in cars of this weight, on street driving,(canyons, whatever) that weight isn't going to mean much. I have driven both cars extensively and the 65's weight distribution doesn't feel any different. It has better brakes that will let you break later, and much more power to shoot you out of the corners faster. Doesn't sound like just a 1/4 car to me. For the extra cash though I agree but for what you can get some for now I would be all over one if I was looking again. I would like to hear from some that owned both, anyone??
Old 01-21-2006, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by Juice it
I agree with you on the "value" issue when looking to buy the two new but completely disagree on your assessment of the 65's performance and abilities. The weight difference is 280 lbs and in cars of this weight, on street driving,(canyons, whatever) that weight isn't going to mean much. I have driven both cars extensively and the 65's weight distribution doesn't feel any different. It has better brakes that will let you break later, and much more power to shoot you out of the corners faster. Doesn't sound like just a 1/4 car to me. For the extra cash though I agree but for what you can get some for now I would be all over one if I was looking again. I would like to hear from some that owned both, anyone??

Maybe it was just the way the car that I drove was set up. But it was a sled compared to my 55. That's why I passed. I thought the weight was more like 400 pounds....and with that hanging out over those front wheels....yikes! Either way, both cars are great and way better than an SLR for the real world.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:38 PM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

Originally Posted by Juice it

I've owned both and the main difference to me was learning to cope with the thrust, acceleration, and power of the 65 which can make mastering the vehicle more challenging than the 55. The 55 although very smooth lacks the power to dominate higher end sport cars because of its heaviness.
As far as cornering and manuevering, I have not felt any difference in the handling, but I can see that one may feel more comfortable handling a less powerful vehicle after driving the 65 for a short time.

I have run with a few porsche's, and lighter cars, and felt that the 55 and 65 duplicated, and out performed them on quick manuevers. However the 65 has the ability to overdose its competition with raw power. People who are used to driving high end low torque cars may take to the 55 because it is easier to master. Bothrica cars are tough to handle on wet surfaces and a blast to drive any day of the week.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It just comes down to different strokes.........Your statement is my point. The 65 is basically a point and shoot car. The better overall package is the 55....I say that because I love road courses and mountain roads. That difference is why I sold my spot on the 65 list.

This whole drag raicng thing and 1/4 times is just a differnt phylosophy from what I think driving is all about. I think its about finding the right braking/shift points and apexing the corner just right and feeding in the gas to get the best launch out of each corner. Point and hold on just doesn't do it for me.

In the US that's all people care about. I speak with the M3 people (an obvious canyon carving package), and these guys are only concerned about 1/4 mile times as well. Oh well...........maybe I'll get it one day.........NOT!
I agree with you 100%. Power is great, but it isn't everything. Having said that, I still wouldn't mind having an SL 65. For canyon carving I would prefer something like a Porsche GT3 RS or Z06 Corvette.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' 335i coupe
Wait, you bought a 65...and passed for a 55?
Old 01-24-2006, 07:34 PM

-
With 1:15.6 mins. at the Hockenheim short track, the SL 65 AMG is 0.3 secs. faster than the SL 55 AMG.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG, 2001 S430

Couldn't have been said better. I agree very much with that statement!!
Old 01-24-2006, 11:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG, 2001 S430
Originally Posted by Auraraptor
With 1:15.6 mins. at the Hockenheim short track, the SL 65 AMG is 0.3 secs. faster than the SL 55 AMG.
With what kind of drivers?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:17 AM

04 SL55 (sold),05 SL55, 09 SL63, 07 C2S cab Porsche,
I raced a 65 on Sunset blvd last year

The only way I beat him was that he obviously was an inexperienced 65 driver (car was new) and I caught him on the curves. I also am not a great driver and certainly didn't want to endanger anyone else on the road. However, I had my 04 for almost a year, knew the car well and pushed it when I could. I barely bested him, gave him a thumbs up, and looked around for cops. I got lucky.

BTW, the 04 was bought back in case your wondering.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' 335i coupe
I'm not too sure if those timse are even legit man...SL55 being .3 seconds behind the 65 sounds a bit unreasonable. A CL65 is heavier than a SL65, and it beat the 55 by more than .3 seconds...

Top gear times for a CL65....35 Mercedes CL65 1.29
for the SL55: 55 Mercedes SL55 AMG 1.33.2

on top of that the SL65 is 4,564 lb
the CL65 is 4,654 lb
Old 01-25-2006, 01:16 PM

Hockenheim

That's because Hockenheim is a track that favors cars with power. There are only a few curves where a significant weight advantage will improve the lap time. The Nuerburgring, however, is different. There are more slow curves requiring heavier braking and favoring lighter cars with less front end plow.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:49 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Originally Posted by Frank Wiesmann
That's because Hockenheim is a track that favors cars with power. There are only a few curves where a significant weight advantage will improve the lap time. The Nuerburgring, however, is different. There are more slow curves requiring heavier braking and favoring lighter cars with less front end plow.

????
Old 01-25-2006, 04:03 PM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by Frank Wiesmann
They are very different tracks. The counter-argument - that Nurburgring times are unrealistic in real-world applications because that track is so difficult - is often made as well in the supercar world....

(If one looks at a track map of each the difference is more than obvious).

Last edited by ClayJ; 01-25-2006 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:14 PM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

Why is the 1/4 mile always attacked and labeled the unskilled American thing? Sprints are spectacular sporting events all over the world, and for some reason many of the forum members take swipes at anyone who shows the slightest bit of enjoyment in the 1/4 mile run.
Everyone knew the fastest kid in the neighborhood, or the fastest kid in the school, or the fastest football player, or the fastest man in the world. On this forum it seems as if there are a bunch of non-athletic American hatin guys driving sports car who never experienced the thrill of being the fastest at anything, and now that they are all grown up, and criticizing everything that reminds them of what they lacked.
I for one can enjoy the excitement of a driving course or the awesome 10 seconds of g forces unknown to the average man. I guess some people will forever need a reason to feel superior to others, and maybe one day I will get it---------not!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 08:42 PM

a few...
If you would even like to compare stock cars to stock cars, although the Z06 is cheaper than the SL55/65, I guarantee that with a good driver it will pass a 55 on the highway, and keep right up with a 65. Go look up some 1/4 miles traps on these cars, as the E.T.s don't really show anything due to traction. The trap speed shows the power, and it traps as high as the SL 65. So compare that, and it's even stock...

Of course, drivers make the race, but if you find a competent Z06 driver I will bet the SL55 owner will be left behind...
Old 01-26-2006, 07:50 AM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

Originally Posted by merc655
If you would even like to compare stock cars to stock cars, although the Z06 is cheaper than the SL55/65, I guarantee that with a good driver it will pass a 55 on the highway, and keep right up with a 65. Go look up some 1/4 miles traps on these cars, as the E.T.s don't really show anything due to traction. The trap speed shows the power, and it traps as high as the SL 65. So compare that, and it's even stock...

Of course, drivers make the race, but if you find a competent Z06 driver I will bet the SL55 owner will be left behind...

I believe that the Z06 is awesome, however it is not built nearly as good as the 55/65. The speeds are very comparable, and the weight difference gives the Z06 a nodd in factors where weight is an issue. But understanding that the 55/65 were designed as high end luxury cars with the ability to compete and in most cases beat light weight sports cars without compromising luxury or quality is the key ingredient. I didn't really understand that until I was t-boned by that corolla doing about 60, and without the driver braking. The 65 barely looked damage, and the corolla was totaled. The speeds of the Z06 and 65 appear to be very comparable, however, I am more amazed with a heavy weight running with a light weight 505HP speed demon than I am with the opposite. Remember, there is a reason for the price difference.

Last edited by DBERRY7578; 01-26-2006 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:35 AM

1/4 milers

Originally Posted by DBERRY7578
Why is the 1/4 mile always attacked and labeled the unskilled American thing? Sprints are spectacular sporting events all over the world, and for some reason many of the forum members take swipes at anyone who shows the slightest bit of enjoyment in the 1/4 mile run.
Everyone knew the fastest kid in the neighborhood, or the fastest kid in the school, or the fastest football player, or the fastest man in the world. On this forum it seems as if there are a bunch of non-athletic American hatin guys driving sports car who never experienced the thrill of being the fastest at anything, and now that they are all grown up, and criticizing everything that reminds them of what they lacked.
I for one can enjoy the excitement of a driving course or the awesome 10 seconds of g forces unknown to the average man. I guess some people will forever need a reason to feel superior to others, and maybe one day I will get it---------not!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Woah there, let's not get carried away. Nobody said anything about hating quarter mile lovers. As far as I'm concerned, people can do whatever makes them happy. If it is quarter mile runs for you, great. IngenereAMG and myself happen to believe in a different form of performance driving that is more demanding on the car as well as the driver and reveals more about driving skill and the car's handling in my humble opinion. Let's face it, there are faster and cheaper cars for quarter mile runs than an AMG. Of course, the same can be said about canyon carving. In the end, let's not have to explain why we like or dislike the other persons interpretation of a good time behind the wheel, but rather enjoy our common liking of the three pointed star and three letter trunklid badge. Have a great day!
Old 01-27-2006, 08:27 AM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
In the end, let's not have to explain why we like or dislike the other persons interpretation of a good time behind the wheel, but rather enjoy our common liking of the three pointed star and three letter trunklid badge. Have a great day![/QUOTE]

I totally agree, however the slant that one style of driving is superior to the "American" style of driving seems a little arrogant. Personally, I feel that most car enthusiast can separate the two and enjoy both styles of driving. Both styles will determine strengths and weaknesses of an automobile, and both will surely give the driver an andrenaline rush. Nothing personal, just a car forum
Old 01-28-2006, 12:37 PM

01 clk55 cpe
Frank & Dberry:
Agreed, 100%.

The comparison of different but similiar hp & tq cars engaging in
public road racing or 1/4 milers and arriving at a conclusion that
one is better than another is ludicrous. We don't know to what
extent each car was modified and the skill/***** of the drivers.
(Do we want to have the cars compete, OR, is the competition
who has the deepest pocket to afford the best mods)

Now, if you really want to compare and conclude, have the same
(professional) driver on the same course track the car...and the car
with the lowest time is the winner (on that particular track), road or
1/4 mile.

As a previously stated viewpoint indicated....some tracks favor raw &
brute hp, others favor skill and maneuverablity of the car. Again,
to conclude, the one constant to make an empirical conclusion is
to use the same driver.

The SLs satisfies a broad spectrum for bang for the $.
Prestige, exclusivity, style, everyday driveability, hardtop & convertible and
power.

Some women say they don't want a man on the way up,
they want a man who has arrived.
Many MB (amg) owners fall into that category

Owning one gives the owner those benefits, and it sure makes
you feel good looking at the steering wheel and seeing the 3 pointed star.
It sure is exhilarating to be in the driver's seat of one.

Regardless of our networth, I tend to think we may all be car junkies.....

Tell you what, I don't mind being 'HIGH' the rest of my days!!

Happy motoring ya'all