SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: very low-mileage SL65s...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL65
i took the 65 to autohaus late this afternoon because i was in the neighborhood.
the SA was understandably reluctant to start anything at 4p on a friday, but she was kind enough to take a look at the NAV and courtesy lighting herself.
there's definitely some NAV problem that she thinks could be resolved with a flash update, just as i'd been told previously.
and the courtesy lighting, she said, was supposed to go off after some interval.
she said i should bring the car in monday morning and come to see her, saying i needn't bother with an appointment. that's convenient because i must be in that area again on, yup, monday morning.
that was fairly nice, especially from autohaus...which now is calling itself MB of pompano. (i'd heard they were repackaging for an autonation buyout.)
driving around today, there was a new sound to consider: a groan from the steering that wasn't there before. have any of you heard something like that?
Old 05-05-2006, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by david_101
driving around today, there was a new sound to consider: a groan from the steering that wasn't there before. have any of you heard something like that?
SBC pump?
Old 05-06-2006, 09:17 AM

SL55, ML500, GT3 RS, 997C2S
David101, Are you in the Boston area? I95?
Old 05-06-2006, 03:46 PM

2005 SL65
sprins...

i guess that an SBC issue could account for the brake pedal vibration as well if in fact it's not WNL.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:50 PM

2005 SL65
Scruffyone...

nope, not in the boston area. i'm usually somewhere between 300 and 1500 miles from boston.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:08 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
i took the 65 to autohaus late this afternoon because i was in the neighborhood.
the SA was understandably reluctant to start anything at 4p on a friday, but she was kind enough to take a look at the NAV and courtesy lighting herself.
there's definitely some NAV problem that she thinks could be resolved with a flash update, just as i'd been told previously.
and the courtesy lighting, she said, was supposed to go off after some interval.
she said i should bring the car in monday morning and come to see her, saying i needn't bother with an appointment. that's convenient because i must be in that area again on, yup, monday morning.
that was fairly nice, especially from autohaus...which now is calling itself MB of pompano. (i'd heard they were repackaging for an autonation buyout.)
I wouldn't have her spend too much time on the courtesy lighting issue. Now that I have been made aware of it, it does not ever go out in my car either as it softly lights the door handles and the center console for night time use. It wouldn't make sense for it to shut itself off after a while if the intention is to light these things. No noise here in the steering.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:25 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Originally Posted by Juice it
I wouldn't have her spend too much time on the courtesy lighting issue. Now that I have been made aware of it, it does not ever go out in my car either as it softly lights the door handles and the center console for night time use. It wouldn't make sense for it to shut itself off after a while if the intention is to light these things. No noise here in the steering.
Your right, I believe the purpose is ambient lighting. The courtesy lights are the dome and footwell lights, and turn off after an interval. The ambient lighting always stays on.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:58 PM

2005 SL65
the courtesy lighting, other than rearview mirror light, is low on the list.

no noise at all from your steering? okay, that's another priority item on my list.

so, we were running some errands this morning with the GF's mom, who decided to ride with me with the top down while the GF drove her lexus top down. a couple of guys in a black CLK430 coupe admired the SL and stuck their thumbs up while grinning. i almost joked with the GF's mom that they were giving me thumbs up for having HER, and not the car. alas, i played it safe when i pointed out the thumbs to her. she really enjoyed it...and that's all that mattered anyway. ;-)
Old 05-08-2006, 01:44 PM

2005 SL65
well, i'm back from autohaus, where two of the verdicts are in:

first, the courtesy lighting DOES stay on all the time. they suggested what jeff suggested: put a piece of tape over it.

second, COMAND is being replaced because it wouldn't even accept a software flash update.

a couple of thoughts came to mind when hearing that COMAND would have to be replaced. initially, i wondered whether the car had truly been starmarked. given that i don't know the CPO protocol, i don't know whether or not a COMAND NAV issue should've been identified during certification. if anyone out there knows, then please post.

and then i wondered whether autohaus had actually diagnosed the issue. going one more step: would it be possible for an authorized service facility to perform unnecessary warranty work -- this is a multi-thousand dollar job -- to receive warranty payment from MB? wouldn't the malfunctioning part have to be sent to MB as part of the validation process? if anyone knows, then please post.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:56 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
In answering your question about a dealer replacing stuff on a car under warranty that might not necessarily be the issue because they get paid for it anyway, happens all the time. Do you think Mercedes will actually get that command back and check it out to see what it is or isn't doing properly? No way. Dealers get paid, the customer gets new parts(I have been on the receiving end of quite a few) and all is forgotten. I had what was just a light bulb go out in a climate control unit in a range rover and they swapped it out with a new one because he said it was easier to do. Just recently had some brake squeel on a Gwagen and they replaced rotors/pads/steering shock and I am pretty sure it was just the pads. I would take the new command and not worry about it.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:06 PM

2005 SL65
jeff,
performing unnecessary warranty work is tantamount to committing insurance fraud, but without the public policy implications. it costs all of us in vehicle pricing, vehicle down-time and time lost due to the service.
insofar as the car is concerned, i couldn't care less, as long as they make the COMAND unit work in toto.
but the thought of being used to unjustly enrich others, and having my time wasted to boot, really bothers me.
now, it's uncertain whether i'm crying wolf. but i wouldn't put it past those people, even though they're now an autonation store.
i've already spoken with the selling dealer about their starmarking protocol. i hope to have info within a couple of days.

Last edited by david_101; 05-09-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
can we get some pics of the car
Old 05-08-2006, 04:48 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
jeff,
performing unnecessary warranty work is tantamount to committing insurance fraud, but without the public policy implications. it costs all of us in vehicle pricing, vehicle down-time and time lost due to the service.
insofar as far as the car is concerned, i couldn't care less, as long as they make the COMAND unit work in toto.
but the thought of being used to unjustly enrich others, and having my time wasted to boot, really bothers me.
now, it's uncertain whether i'm crying wolf. but i wouldn't put it past those people, even though they're now an autonation store.
i've already spoken with the selling dealer about their starmarking protocol. i hope to have info within a couple of days.
I agree about the waste of money that is passed on but I was just commenting on the fact that I know it is done all the time. What is the problem you are having with the command? I wouldn't stress about the starmark process. Your car is under warranty and I am sure those guys that starmark the cars miss things here and there. What was your steering issue?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:49 PM

2005 SL65
hey jeff,
the autohaus SA confirmed that the brake pedal vibration is an artifact of SBC recycling, and occasionally can be felt slightly in the steering wheel. that's what i was told up north, as well. so, those issues have been put to rest.
COMAND NAV will not accept destination programming, and POIs aren't available. but the map comes up and is fully functional.
i'm not stressing at all about this stuff. in fact, i just take my laptop to the dealer and work using their wi-fi, with the occasional call interrupting work and a starbuck's french press.
on another matter, i went to the GL board because i started to look at them while waiting for my car today. you posted there, i think. do you know the wading or fording depth of the GL?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:50 PM

2005 SL65
blazinginder,
i posted pics early in this string, but intend to take and post more as soon as i get a good opportunity.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:53 PM

2005 SL65
jeff,
re-reading your earlier post, i certainly hope MB gets back defective major parts so they can be returned to suppliers for evaluation and improvement.
and i hope they get reimbursed by those suppliers.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:25 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
hey jeff,
the autohaus SA confirmed that the brake pedal vibration is an artifact of SBC recycling, and occasionally can be felt slightly in the steering wheel. that's what i was told up north, as well. so, those issues have been put to rest.
COMAND NAV will not accept destination programming, and POIs aren't available. but the map comes up and is fully functional.
i'm not stressing at all about this stuff. in fact, i just take my laptop to the dealer and work using their wi-fi, with the occasional call interrupting work and a starbuck's french press.
on another matter, i went to the GL board because i started to look at them while waiting for my car today. you posted there, i think. do you know the wading or fording depth of the GL?

I checked out the GL but wasn't too impressed. I ended up buying an Infiniti Q56 for the wife to take the dog (ST. Bernard) and kid to our beach house. With a new baby on the way we needed a third row and the Gwagen is too small although I can't bring myself to get rid of it yet.
Please tell me you aren't inquiring about the fording depth for a potential escape vehicle from a hurricane and are looking for a nice offroader. If its the former, you need a drink!
Old 05-08-2006, 10:30 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
jeff,
re-reading your earlier post, i certainly hope MB gets back defective major parts so they can be returned to suppliers for evaluation and improvement.
and i hope they get reimbursed by those suppliers.
I would hope so too but I would guess they hit ebay before MB gets re-imbursed for them. I assume they would get transmissions and high dollar parts but most of the normal things are probably written off.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:03 PM

2005 SL65
actually, i could use a drink about now... so, which escape vehicle would you recommend?

about the parts, i think about the same as you. there's probably a threshold over which an item must be shipped back.

the GF's keeping me from that drink. in fact, time to log off. later.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:17 AM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
If I was trying to get away from a bad situation I would pick the Gwagen all day long. The RRover would be a good choice as well. That said, if you got in the SL65 when the first reports were coming in you would be in South Carolina before anything hit Florida!
Old 05-09-2006, 11:20 AM

2005 SL65
the COMAND unit was being shipped from california and hasn't arrived yet at service, so it'll probably be in later today or tomorrow morning by 9:30a.

i have to say that, while i did have to wait several minutes on hold before actually talking to a human, the service receptionist and parts manager were very pleasant.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:32 AM

2005 SL65
totally off-topic...

i tested the G55; it was unbelievably loud in the cabin while still on the dealer lot. specs state it goes through 18" of water. i learned from my SAs that they tend to suffer certain recurrent issues, which they said were less mechanical and more convenience. reading your comments, i believe your G gave you a healthy share of trouble.

the RR sport (sc) is fairly quiet and refined, and goes through 28" of water. but i was recently told by an auto broker that it was at the very bottom of the most recent satisfaction survey. i don't recall which survey it was, but he had no reason to mislead me because he'd like nothing more than to divert a hot model for me.

have you looked at the new toyota fj cruiser? although it looks like a life-sized tonka toy, it'll go through 27.5" of water and should benefit from toyota reliability. it'd be for emergencies and hauling stuff occasionally. given its pricing, it's almost disposable. i think it wouldn't serve your purposes, but do you think there'd be anything truly objectionable about it?
Old 05-09-2006, 11:45 AM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
i tested the G55; it was unbelievably loud in the cabin while still on the dealer lot. specs state it goes through 18" of water. i learned from my SAs that they tend to suffer certain recurrent issues, which they said were less mechanical and more convenience. reading your comments, i believe your G gave you a healthy share of trouble.

the RR sport (sc) is fairly quiet and refined, and goes through 28" of water. but i was recently told by an auto broker that it was at the very bottom of the most recent satisfaction survey. i don't recall which survey it was, but he had no reason to mislead me because he'd like nothing more than to divert a hot model for me.

have you looked at the new toyota fj cruiser? although it looks like a life-sized tonka toy, it'll go through 27.5" of water and should benefit from toyota reliability. it'd be for emergencies and hauling stuff occasionally. given its pricing, it's almost disposable. i think it wouldn't serve your purposes, but do you think there'd be anything truly objectionable about it?

The Toyota seems ok if you can get used to the colors. Seems like that would work for your purposes.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:50 AM

2005 SL65
the SL65 to the carolinas...

i'd agree, but with only two major roads from S FL to anywhere else, i think we'd get nowhere fast...or run out of fuel at 10 - 15 mpg even faster. it's about 375 miles directly out of the state.

i began flying strictly in preparation for emergencies. it turns out that there are other benefits as well, but those benefits are only secondary. after riding out wilma in a recently constructed current-code high-rise, and observing people on the edge of chaos afterward, i'm convinced that leaving will always be preferable to staying in such circumstances. so, i must be prepared. the right SUV is part of preparing. if not for these S FL weather anomolies, i'd never even consider an SUV, let alone which ones go through how much water or clear obstacles or go over curbs. or which ones i'd least mind abandoning or losing. i guess no paradise is without a serpent.

Last edited by david_101; 05-09-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:45 PM

2005 SL65
well, NAV now works with both manual and voice inputs. this COMAND looks and feels better than the one in my CLK. the soft keys -- those buttons at the edge of the screen -- are ergonomically challenging, but the system seems otherwise pretty good.

i was told there was nothing abnormal about the engine operation, and nothing specifically in 1500 - 2250 RPM range. if the cycling harmonic and associated vibration at about 1750 RPM become "bothersome," then i'm to bring the car in again for a closer look. (i'm not concerned about being bothered by the sound and vibration; i am concerned about damaging the car by allowing a drivetrain problem to go unrepaired.)

all the work was done within 2.5 hours, while i waited. (there's free wireless access available; i used it the entire time. if you decide to use it, i suggest you also use a wi-fi security product because i was alerted to a trojan.) my SA told me to bring the car in any time, with or without an appointment, and they'd do their best to resolve any issues while i waited. that tune is quite different from the one i'd heard before from the dealer's service department. i might just have to reassess my opinion of them. we'll see.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: very low-mileage SL65s...