SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 supercharger failure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
SL55 supercharger failure?

I was driving my father's '05 SL55 the other day and was really trying to test it out. After doing continuous high speed acceleration runs, I stopped at a stop sign and was going to do a 0-60. I go wide open throttle and was totally surpised by the lack of speed. It felt a bit slower than my CLK500. It almost felt like there was no supercharger at all. The car revved normal, I watched the RPMs redline and there was no error message on the dashboard or anything. I let it cruise for about 10 seconds, then I floored it again. It had that same slow feeling. After I did that, I let off the gas, gave it a few seconds, pinned it again, and I was thrown back into my seat. It started to work again like it always had. For some reason the car went from a torque monster, to the acceleration of my mom's s430. Anyone know what this is all about? Thanks.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
996 supercharged C4cab widebody, x-5 (4.4), sl-55 kleeman, RR
it called traction control.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 SL55
It is very likely that it is the pump that is talked about in the two posts on the board now. If the pump draws too much power it shuts down the supercharger. Have it check out.

Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
I was driving my father's '05 SL55 the other day and was really trying to test it out. After doing continuous high speed acceleration runs, I stopped at a stop sign and was going to do a 0-60. I go wide open throttle and was totally surpised by the lack of speed. It felt a bit slower than my CLK500. It almost felt like there was no supercharger at all. The car revved normal, I watched the RPMs redline and there was no error message on the dashboard or anything. I let it cruise for about 10 seconds, then I floored it again. It had that same slow feeling. After I did that, I let off the gas, gave it a few seconds, pinned it again, and I was thrown back into my seat. It started to work again like it always had. For some reason the car went from a torque monster, to the acceleration of my mom's s430. Anyone know what this is all about? Thanks.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:54 PM

not quite any of the above.

Its supercharger shut off. It happens when the car gets too hot. At that time it shuts off to protect the engine untill it gets to acceptable temp. Just about every 55 kompressor engine does this and is annoying as hell
Old 04-23-2006, 05:40 AM

SL55AMG, ML420CDI, E320TCDI
Dissagree with all of you. The engine is getting too hot, because the intercooler system is not capebul of cooling down the air underneeth the S/C sufficient enough. Both the Waterpump and the Water/Aircooler in front of the radiator, are S**T. I had that problem too, when i drove the stock engine, but since i had the Stage 4 done, and Kleemann fitted a new, and bigger pump, together with a bigger Water/Air cooler in front of the radiator, i dont have this problem anymore, and please remember, that with a stage 4, the I/C system has to remove twice as mutch heat as generated by the stock engine.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
It was definitely not traction control.

Thank you all for your replies. What you guys said makes sense, as it felt like there was no supercharger. My father is going to take the car to the dealer soon to get whatever's wrong with it fixed.

I heard that one of the reasons AMG went with a n/a engine was because of problems like this with their superchargers.