SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: metal rattle noise after start up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 SL 500, 09 R350, 09 E63, 2010 Prius
metal rattle noise after start up

Just thought I'd share my experience with everyone who have a problem with rattleling noise coming from behind the seats after a cold starst, usually while moving, then goes away after a few minutes, sometimes persisting for the duration of the ride... I posted this on the CLS board but I have the SL500. I remember there was a discussion on this a while back and nobody found an answer.. Well, my rattle is gone! and here is why:
(My post from the CLS board)
I have an SL500, 2004 model. I have had a rattle in there since about the 6 months mark. The dealer had no clue... they pulled my seats out, said it was a loose screw... 3 times and I gave up. The noise sounded like a metal wire rattling, and only when the car is cold...
When I pulled my car to my tuner guy for major upgrades to lights and brakes, and muffler... asked him to take a look. He thoroughly checked it out and pulled apart the undercarriage of the car. The problem it turns out is a bracket next to the exhaust that kinda holds the wire for the hand brake. With a cold start, the exhaust is smaller and the metal wire vibrates against the bracket. With the exhaust heating up, the metal expands and pushes the bracket against the wire, holding it tighter and eliminating the vibration. He greased it up and insulated the braket to keet the metal from rattling against one another. And voila! the annoying rattle is gone. Takes a thorough mechanic to look for it but mine did. You might suggest that to your mechanic. I am not sure how much similar the CLS bottom is to the SL but worth a look. Good luck!
Hope this helps those who have been battling this annoying little problem