SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Monet, Moven, or ASA rims. Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 12:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG S
Monet, Moven, or ASA rims. Help!

I need opinions on new rims I'm looking at. I don't want to spend over $5000.00 for rims and tires so I've been looking at Moven BM6's, Monet Imressionism's, or ASA ST4's. Does anyone know the weights of any or all of these rims? How about quality? I have a 2005 SL600 with sports package. Anyone know the weight of these rims to compare? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL55 Kompressor Horizon Blue Metallic
Originally Posted by france2112
I need opinions on new rims I'm looking at. I don't want to spend over $5000.00 for rims and tires so I've been looking at Moven BM6's, Monet Imressionism's, or ASA ST4's. Does anyone know the weights of any or all of these rims? How about quality? I have a 2005 SL600 with sports package. Anyone know the weight of these rims to compare? Any help would be appreciated.
I got a set of ASA ST4's for my CL55 for winter and haven't taken them off yet.

The AMG rims run around 30-35 pounds front to back, the ASA ST4's run around 25-30 pounds front to back. It is obvious when you look at ASA's that they have less material behind the "spokes", which I actually prefer. I also use Pirelli's that run a few pounds less than most performance tires.

The tirerack web site is pretty good at showing the weight of rims when you drill down to the details. But, I can't say on the Moven or Monet.

So ... I prefer the look of my "AMG knock-off" ASA's, and only us MB guys knows what to look for to figure it out. I'm kinda old school, I think the only rim that looks right on a CL is the AMG look.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:45 AM
Banned

AMGs
Dont DO IT!!!

You guys spent a tons of cash on your cars and why would you want to cut corners on the shoes??? Dont do it!!! Those wheels are NOT made to standards and they are easily bent. A friend of mine bought a set of Moven (AMG 5 spokes) and he damaged them 3 of them already and took them off his car CL500 in less than 2 months.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:00 AM

I appreciate the comment about cutting corners. I knew someone would bring this up. You are right that I spent a lot of money on my car but there are a few mods that I really can't live without. I hate the sound system and plan on upgrading to the Reus system (about $3000). I truely can't afford to do this and name brand forged rims so I thought I may be able to get away with a quality cast rims of a lesser name. I understand the ASA ST4 are about the same quality of BBS cast rims so I thought I may get away with decent quality and inexpensive price. Maybe I'm wrong. Some may say wait till I could afford better forged rims but I am tapped out. New car plus RennTech ECU upgrade plus Reus audio system plus pregnant wife = no savings. What can I say except I love cars and especially my car. I'm
Old 05-21-2006, 06:30 AM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Originally Posted by france2112
I appreciate the comment about cutting corners. I knew someone would bring this up. You are right that I spent a lot of money on my car but there are a few mods that I really can't live without. I hate the sound system and plan on upgrading to the Reus system (about $3000). I truely can't afford to do this and name brand forged rims so I thought I may be able to get away with a quality cast rims of a lesser name. I understand the ASA ST4 are about the same quality of BBS cast rims so I thought I may get away with decent quality and inexpensive price. Maybe I'm wrong. Some may say wait till I could afford better forged rims but I am tapped out. New car plus RennTech ECU upgrade plus Reus audio system plus pregnant wife = no savings. What can I say except I love cars and especially my car. I'm
I hear you about the sound system and all... and not to bash you or anything, but NO SAVINGS + PREGNANT WIFE in most cases should equal FORGET ABOUT WHEELS, RENNTECH, AND SOUND UPGRADE + SELL THE SL600 (and get something safe and affordable). For what it's worth... it's not crazy... it's somewhat foolhardy.

~ Ian
Old 05-21-2006, 09:55 AM

Ian,
No problem on the comment. Sounds a bit foolhardy I guess. Not as bad as it sounds. Financial situation is actually pretty good. Just trying to save some money where I thought I could and not compromise. Sometimes something that cost more isn't necessarily better. In this case maybe forged rims are worth the money. No big deal.