SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Renntech ECU & Pulley--LIMP HOME mode!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 07:17 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 E550 Coupe
Renntech ECU & Pulley--LIMP HOME mode!

Anyone have trouble with the ECU after Renntech programming? I installed the ecu and the car seemed great but after the first hard full throttle run through a couple of gears, the car just lost throttle settings and I had barely above idle. Had to pull over, cycle the key and after restart everything was fine. I figured the car was looking for the boost from the pulley that was not installed yet. Then put the pulley on and after first hard run, SAME THING! We read the codes with an SDS and it was accelerator pedal sensor, like it lost throttle position. This is all after i did the reset procedure mentioned elsewhere on this forum, so this could be part of the issue. Got on the interstate and ran through a couple of gears hard, felt GREAT but after i lifted and got back into the throttle there was no power. It would downshift, but not accelerate. A mile later the power was back. A mile later I stepped into it for 2 gears, felt great, then no power again. A mile later power was back. I know the throttle sensor didnlt just happen to let go at the same time I started reset/mods! STRANGE! Any ideas???
Old 06-09-2006, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG, 2006 Range Rover Sport with Kahn Design Package
May I ask who did the upgrades for you?
Old 06-09-2006, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by vrmmm
Anyone have trouble with the ECU after Renntech programming? I installed the ecu and the car seemed great but after the first hard full throttle run through a couple of gears, the car just lost throttle settings and I had barely above idle. Had to pull over, cycle the key and after restart everything was fine. I figured the car was looking for the boost from the pulley that was not installed yet. Then put the pulley on and after first hard run, SAME THING! We read the codes with an SDS and it was accelerator pedal sensor, like it lost throttle position. This is all after i did the reset procedure mentioned elsewhere on this forum, so this could be part of the issue. Got on the interstate and ran through a couple of gears hard, felt GREAT but after i lifted and got back into the throttle there was no power. It would downshift, but not accelerate. A mile later the power was back. A mile later I stepped into it for 2 gears, felt great, then no power again. A mile later power was back. I know the throttle sensor didnlt just happen to let go at the same time I started reset/mods! STRANGE! Any ideas???

Replace the intercooler pump. You intake temps are spinking and the car shuts the blower down when intake air reaches 199 DME cuts the blower until it reaches 155 degrees.

THe lack of an intercooler pump makes the intercooler very lack luster.

I had this happen to my E55, C32, SL55 everything. The pump is the same for all these cars and they all fail. Remeber that a car with a pulley creates more heat from the blower so you will see the car cut the blower more quickly on a pulleyed car than on a stock vehicle. Both will cut the power though in the end.

Just go to the dealership and ask them to replace the pump, and the relay that controls the pump -- both tend to fail. Also get that TP Sensor replaced while you are at it.

No big deal... it has NOTHIGN to do with the RENNtech ecu or the upgrades. It's and all to common issue.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:34 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 E550 Coupe
I pulled the ECU, sent it off and I replaced it. A friend with a shop helped with the crank pulley. He's the one who told me that I had the accelerator pedal code and now that you mention it there WAS a code in there for intake air temp! I guess it's off to the dealer to have the intercooler pump, etc replaced. Thank you so very much for the quick insight! Now, if I could only get an appt at the dealer that quick......
Old 06-10-2006, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG, 2006 Range Rover Sport with Kahn Design Package
This is from the RT team Sir,

In very rare occasions after a reflash of the ECU the throttle stop needs to relearned. This can be done by leaving the ignition key on for a minute or so. However, this does not seem to be your problem, because one symptom of that would be a searching for idle speed.

Since you show a fault in the accelerator pedal sensor you need to look there first.

Are there any other faults, like load limit or so?

I assume the upgrade is pulley and software?

What year is the SL

Check all the connectors on throttle body and accelerator pedal.

Is the fault always in the same rpm range and at full load

However, i agree that the IC pump should be looked at first.

Last edited by art@kronen; 06-10-2006 at 03:07 PM.