SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2003 SL55 vandalized

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by LawrenceAW
I respect that, but I didn't think a private seller had to disclose any history, I bought a 7-Series from an individual several years ago and I came to find out that he had been rear ended, the trunk and rear bumper had been replaced, no other damage was on the car and it was perfect work, and the car had been 100% problem free, so I didn't take anything further. I had spoken with a dealer friend of mine that said he didn't have to disclose it. Maybe he's wrong?
Well, I'm inclined to believe your dealer friend and there certainly could be state-specific disclosure requirements that apply to dealers but not to private parties.

But those consumer protections are on top of basic contract law requirements. A private seller is still on the hook if s/he misrepresents the car's condition, e.g. by saying it's in "flawless/A1/mint/perfect" condition when in fact it had been in a serious accident.

A seller can avoid misrepresentation by making no representations at all--think Colonel Klink or Sergeant Schultz of Hogan's Heroes: "I know nothing!"--but if a seller makes material statements about a car, those statements have to be truthful.

Sorry to hear about your 7-Series experience. That had to have been a bummer.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An Affalterbach Beast & Others
Originally Posted by jmf003
Well, I'm inclined to believe your dealer friend and there certainly could be state-specific disclosure requirements that apply to dealers but not to private parties.

But those consumer protections are on top of basic contract law requirements. A private seller is still on the hook if s/he misrepresents the car's condition, e.g. by saying it's in "flawless/A1/mint/perfect" condition when in fact it had been in a serious accident.

A seller can avoid misrepresentation by making no representations at all--think Colonel Klink or Sergeant Schultz of Hogan's Heroes: "I know nothing!"--but if a seller makes material statements about a car, those statements have to be truthful.

Sorry to hear about your 7-Series experience. That had to have been a bummer.

I agree, although I had fallen victim to the experience, overall, the car(2001 740i) was actually the best car I've ever owned, as far as mechanical issues and ownership experience (I didn't service through the BMW dealer), I did get a decent deal on the car, so all was not lost and I still enjoyed the car. I am glad to know these laws exist because car buying is quite an effort on it's own.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 sl55, 2001 bmw m5, 2002 porsche 911 turbo, 2000 gmc denali
Damns, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. I would never leave my car expecially at a girlfriends house.