SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Burning oil on startup?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real Cars
Burning oil on startup?

It seems that my SL600 has an issue with oil being burned on startup. Recently I had a real bad poof come out on startup one day which had me worried so I called and spoke to two people:

My service advisor: who said he was not aware of this being a common issue and recommended coming in ASAP

Jeff @ RENNTech: who said that it was a result of a somewhat poorly piped PCV system that the V12s have. Oil can collect in the intake and puddle, effectively being burned on startup and give off a decent poof of the bluish-white smoke that I've been seeing.

Jeff knew what he was talking about, and while I am still skeptical about exactly how much oil should be collecting in the intake, regardless of poor plumbing, after fielding a few of my questions fairly well I was left fairly confident.

I still would like to ask any of the 55/65 guys out there, especially those with aftermarket ECUs/higher boost, do you get the same poof of smoke on startup? Even if Jeff is not right, my car does not blow white smoke at all except on startup so any worries about it being a valve seal or turbo seal are pretty much non existant. I'm still concerned possibly having a faulty PCV that isn't sealing and letting too much oil past it into the intake. Thought I'd post on here before I took it in to have it looked at.

-m
Old 07-03-2006, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
It seems that my SL600 has an issue with oil being burned on startup. Recently I had a real bad poof come out on startup one day which had me worried so I called and spoke to two people:

My service advisor: who said he was not aware of this being a common issue and recommended coming in ASAP

Jeff @ RENNTech: who said that it was a result of a somewhat poorly piped PCV system that the V12s have. Oil can collect in the intake and puddle, effectively being burned on startup and give off a decent poof of the bluish-white smoke that I've been seeing.

Jeff knew what he was talking about, and while I am still skeptical about exactly how much oil should be collecting in the intake, regardless of poor plumbing, after fielding a few of my questions fairly well I was left fairly confident.

I still would like to ask any of the 55/65 guys out there, especially those with aftermarket ECUs/higher boost, do you get the same poof of smoke on startup? Even if Jeff is not right, my car does not blow white smoke at all except on startup so any worries about it being a valve seal or turbo seal are pretty much non existant. I'm still concerned possibly having a faulty PCV that isn't sealing and letting too much oil past it into the intake. Thought I'd post on here before I took it in to have it looked at.

-m
I have a SL55 with Renntech mods and I will occasionally get that if the cars sets for a few days but not always. My wife's E55 will do the same thing occasionally. However I refuse to take either back to the dealer in fear that they will screw up something else as they are so prone to do.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I have observed something similar, perhaps it's the same thing. This has only happened on the 600, not the 55...

To wash the car, I usually just drive it car out of the garage, wash it and afterwards drive back in. The car may run a few few minutes and that's it.
When starting the car the next morning I get a cloud.
This clearly only happens when the car runs in idle without the time to warmup, gets shut off and doesn't get driven afterwards for some time.

I assume that this is simply condensation (water) but a friend told me it looked blue'ish like oil. Never seen this occur in any other situation, so I have not been concerned.

No Renntech, about 13k miles on it... Hope this helps...

Wolfman
Old 07-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by lkirchner
I have a SL55 with Renntech mods and I will occasionally get that if the cars sets for a few days but not always. My wife's E55 will do the same thing occasionally. However I refuse to take either back to the dealer in fear that they will screw up something else as they are so prone to do.

True words. People whining about MB quality often overlook poorly trained mechanics as a cause, using laptops with outdated software versions and not even understanding super/turbo charged engines.
If they don't see an error on a computer, it doesn't exist.

It is always one of the biggest gambles to bring a car in for service and then find out that they have made numerous software changes to the car without request (usually to address service bulletins).
I had everythingfrom ride height to braking to engine performance screwed up because of that Kills countless hours of explanation/debate.

Wolfman
Old 07-03-2006, 11:01 PM

2005 SL65
drinking oil...

my car's been drinking the stuff.

three thousand miles and two cluster notices requesting "1 quart of oil at next fuel stop" is a bit much, don't ya' think?

i've seen billows of thin white puffs come from the exhaust. nothing dense.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Almost a Member!

SL55AMG,996 GT2, FERRARI 550M, BMW M5
eeerrrr......

My SL55 was smokey on start up too. Stripped down engine....valve guides.