SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: HID Xenon Headlight Bulbs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG Black on Berry Red
HID Xenon Headlight Bulbs

Hey Guys,

I have a 2004 SL55 AMG. I want to change the headlight bulb to a 8000K iceberg blue bulb. Do you guys know if I can just swap out the bulbs easily or do I have to remove the bumper? Is it easy to get in the headlight unit or do I have to remove the bumper, crack open the airtight headlight, etc. Do any of you guys have experience changing the fog light bulbs as well? I'm thinking the foglight bulbs can be swapped out easily from underneath the bumper without removing the entire bumper. thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 M3 & '05 645ci
i'll help you out. open your hood and look at the rear side of your headlights. you should see a dust cap directly behind where the xenon bulb would be located. if the dust cap looks like it can be removed, then you can access the bulbs easily. if there is no clearance to remove the dustcap, then you might have to remove your headlight assembly or, worst case, you might have to remove your front bumper. take a look and let me know what you see.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
Hey elbow...love those rims, have any other side profile pics with them on?

Matt
Old 07-20-2006, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by mjr24
Hey elbow...love those rims, have any other side profile pics with them on?

Matt

hey matt,

i'm going to post more pix up when i get to take some good pictures. i just took those pictures today outside of my work in the parking lot. i'll send you some when i get it. thanks for the inquiry.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
Sounds good. I am thinking of going with black rims too, which is why I like yours, I think on the black car it looks better (I had chrome on my black CL before I sold it last month but black rims weren't really too in 3 years ago when I did that).
Old 07-20-2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by mjr24
Sounds good. I am thinking of going with black rims too, which is why I like yours, I think on the black car it looks better (I had chrome on my black CL before I sold it last month but black rims weren't really too in 3 years ago when I did that).

i'm right with you. i wasn't a fan of black rims but my brother talked me into it. now i love it. it makes your car look meaner and looks sweet at night. i think you should go with the black rims if you have a black SL. the only thing is that the chrome lip reflects the center of the rims (in this case black), so it doesn't shine shiny like chrome usually does. it still shines but has a tint of black cuz it's reflecting the centers. i wish the chrome lip can keep it's original chrome shine. but i guess the reason why it's a little dark is because it's sooo shiny it's reflecting the centers! lol