SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: atmospheric emission & noise level

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S600L/SL55
atmospheric emission & noise level

Sorry to ask this kind of question.

I am still waiting for the government atmospheric emission &
noise level tests.

1. Atmospheric emission of CO,NOX,HC,HC+NOX gases

Korean goverment test mode is same with American LA-4 mode.

But American official test mode is FTP-75.
EU official test mode is ECE15+EUDC.

Anybody knows the data of CO,NOX,HC,HC+NOX emission of SL55
according to FTP-75 , ECE15+EUDC, or LA-4 test mode?

2. Noise level

The government has 3 noise levels ; horn noise, emission noise,
and acceleration noise . Test mode is ISO.

Anybody knows noise levels of SL55?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2002, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I don't have any specific numbers but the SL55 already complies with the new standards being introduced in 2005 in the EU. The SL55 is a very clean car compared with cars of even 10 years ago and it should sail through the tests without problems. Not so sure about the noise under acceleration test though.

The SL55 does generate prodigious amounts of CO2 of course but that is not in your list.

Cars are so clean these days that it seems to me the best approach for Governments is not to impose ever tighter standards but concentrate on getting old clunkers off the road and thinking about the pollution issues of end-of-life re-cycling and dealing with the mountains of used tires.
Old 09-14-2002, 08:18 AM

S600L/SL55
blueSL,

Thanks for your post. You are really a big body here!

Some cars from Europe , especially used cars including used MB , BMW , and AUDI did not pass the government tests.

Strange to say, the government does not check CO2 emission.

As long as SL55 already complies with new standards of 2005,
I will not worry about emission tests.

Regarding noise levels ,
horn noise shoud be under 110db, emission noise - 100db ,
and acceleration noise (0 to 50km/h) - 74db( so called ISO mode)

I hope SL55's acceleration noise is lower than 74db .

Old 09-14-2002, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Thanks NightSea, I'm please you enjoy my ramblings. For those that do not, I'm sorry. You've succeeded where I have so far failed - to put my backside in an SL55.

CO2 is of course what it produces as a result of burning the hydrocarbons in fuel and is basically a measure of fuel consumption. The SL55 produces 340g of CO2 per km, a little over a 1 pound per mile so it's way up there with the worst of them.

The other pollutants are due to incomplete combustion of the fuel and other nasty chemical reactions, hence the complex exhaust catalysts and traps which either complete the combustion process or capture unburnt fuel vapors and send them around a second time in the engine.

Providing the car can adapt properly to the grade of gasoline, you shouldn't have a problem. I have a 10 year old exhaust gas analyzer and I test my cars from time to time. These days, it's below the measureable limit. Not so my lawnmower which sends it off the scale!

As for the noise test, some manufacturers design their cars so that they are quiet at the test speed and then use solenoids and flaps to reconfigure the exhaust to improve performance. With the forced induction of the SL55, there's less need to resort to some of the other tricks manufacturers use to get the inlet manifold doing its job. They rely on the resonant characteristics of the manifold to keep the inlet flow up at high revs, otherwise the engine becomes starved of mixture at high revs. It's a bit like an organ pipe and reconfiguring the inlet manifold allows you to have a nice quiet engine for testing, a nice noisy one for driving. Lets hope the bureaucrats never catch on!

Porsche also used to sell a 911 with a special gearbox so that the engine would be running at a different speed and quieter for the stringent Swiss noise test, but David tells me they now use the same as the rest of Europe.

GMW has written elsewhere about how the SL55 came 6th in a handling test at the UK Goodwood circuit, close to where BMW will start to build the new Rolls Royce at the end of the year. They have stringent noise tests before they let you run on it. I took my F355 to a track day there - standard car - and it only just passed, the fact that the SL55 was OK probably means yours will be too. They failed the Pagini Zonda so it couln't participate in this test.
Old 09-14-2002, 10:19 AM

2007 CL 550
Nightsea,

I will ask the Swiss Motor vehicle Bureau on MOnday