SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: I'm Looking to buy a '04 - '05 SL55, Issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm Looking to buy a '04 - '05 SL55, Issues?

I've been looking for a while, and am ready to buy. I've done some research, but would like to get your "user" advice.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers,
Gene
Old 03-06-2007, 08:12 AM

2006 SL55 AMG
I just went through the whole research thing as well and I'm buying today or tomorrow. What type of info do you need?
Old 03-06-2007, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by KR_Chicago
I just went through the whole research thing as well and I'm buying today or tomorrow. What type of info do you need?
Congrats!

I was looking for info on issues, problems, and what to look/look-out for, warranty, etc. If your available, let me know how to get ahold of you 760-931-9100.

Thanks,
Gene
Old 03-06-2007, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
I'm Looking to buy a '04 - '05 SL55, Issues?
Yeah. Serious head turning and staring.

Of course a bit depending on where you drive it, but still
Old 03-06-2007, 07:35 PM

05 SL 55 AMG, 01 Turbusa/8.43 @ 183..1/4 mi.
Bought my '05 last November/(4 months ago) and car is just friggin' Awesome..........only 4K miles on the clock and took to the RennTech Pulley/ECU and 2nd IC Pump/Intercooler like a duck takes to water.

Car is fast, and far cheaper than a new one and the '05 has the same quality and parts..........

And will outperform an '07 with just a few thousand buck in mods........

Dunno about an '04.....

The only "Issue" with the '05 is that it is grossly "Underbuilt".......but I am fixing that........next step will be the RennTech Throttle-Body.........

Last edited by SuperDave; 03-06-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:19 PM

2006 SL55 AMG
The first thing I did was read a ton of threads on the SL55 forum. There is a lot of useful info in there. Google for SL55 reviews for the model year you are looking for. You can identify a lot of issues that way. in the '04 and '05s I didn't come across anythiing alarming.

I used autotrader.com and ebay to find my dream car. I also limited myself to authorized MB dealers. It might mean a slighlty limited selection and a slightly higher price, but the peace of mind of the MB CPO program is worth it in my opinion, not to mention the lessening of the risk in the transaction

Also, don't settle. If you have a specific color, option set, etc that you are looking for, wait until you find it. You'll be spending a lot of money - so get what you want. If your dream car is not on the market right now, just wait. New listings pop up all the time.

The CPO warranty is great, especially for the 04 and 05 models which have less factory warranty time on them. The CPO warranty will extend the factory warranty by 1 year. A dealer will also give you the opportunity to buy addition 1 or 2 years of warranty coverage, which you can buy or not depending on your situtation and the particular car you buy.

If I think of more, I'll add it later. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:12 PM

Advice from another Wannabe SL AMG Owner

Emvanderpol,

'm not a user yet- I'm just a wannabe (and soon) but I understand that the '05 has larger navigation screen that it requires only one navigation disk as opposed to the '04 requiring many disks. Also. the '05 bose has been upgraded to digital and you may be able to get the sirius radio on both years- not sure -but I know you can get that sirius on the '05 for sure. A friend who bought an '03 SL 500 said he wanted to upgrade to an '05, so you might want to consider going with the "05- besides it gives you another year on the warranty over the '04.
I have spoken to Mercedes mechanics and they all recommend getting the extended MB warranty if you can because repairs are astronomically expensive and these cars do not get gold medals for reliability. A lemon -even in warranty- is a curse because- who wants to hang out in the MB service waiting room for days each month?
My suggestion: You might consider not buying a car that doesn't come with a set of full service records. Make sure the car came in for routine maintenance and maybe the recall. If it came in for any other repairs, I'd skip it. Lemons usually start out that way in my experience. Think about getting a certified MB car from an authorized dealer because these qualify for the extended MB warranty. Many of the other warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Good Luck and tell us how you did.

Originally Posted by emvanderpol
I've been looking for a while, and am ready to buy. I've done some research, but would like to get your "user" advice.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers,
Gene