SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 Pano Roof Photo!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
Road Angel and Morph are not detectors as such. They are GPS devices that store a database of camera locations.

Morph only has Gatso but R.A. has Gatso, specs and ‘black spots’ i.e. sites that Police forces have declared likely to be subject to hand held speed checks.

graham
Old 10-09-2002, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
another pano roof photo..
Old 10-09-2002, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Originally posted by London Lad
Road Angel and Morph are not detectors as such. They are GPS devices that store a database of camera locations.

Morph only has Gatso but R.A. has Gatso, specs and ‘black spots’ i.e. sites that Police forces have declared likely to be subject to hand held speed checks.

graham
Morpheus has an add on Radar detector (that has just been launched) - the radar head is hidden out of site in the plastic grill or bumper, and connects to the morpheus unit - then it tells you about the hand-held cameras etc etc etc - perfect in my book, saves me having two devices
- I thought Morph does Specs (Im sure it says it does in the latest brochure) - it definetly doesnt do black spots though (or red light cameras etc)

R
Old 10-30-2002, 06:12 AM

BMW 535d Touring
Colour & specs:

Originally posted by blueSL

What else do I like? The roof is an engineering marvel, the seats are the most comfortable I have ever sat in and the driving position is superb. Also very happy with my color choice, given I already have a blue SL and wanted a change; otherwise, one of the blues would have been good for me at least. And the build quality is right back there where it should be pretty much everywhere.

There's not much I don't like. The shift lever and centre console are too far back, you need to be a contortionist to open it. Not fussed about the massaging and air cooled seats, but the adjustable lumbar support contributes to the seat comfort. Not yet used to the menus on the "operating system", I find myself flicking around trying to find what I want instead of going instinctively to where I want to be, not helped by my car not behaving as in the manual.

Perhaps the thing I like least is that the finishing of the rear edge of the bonnet (hood) is slightly untidy. Not visible from outside the car, but it is from inside while driving where you can see the back edge and into the area just underneath it. Aside from the fact that I have a mis-aligned hinge, it's the one and only thing which grates.

Not that bad a report card then.
Your postings have been enjoyable to read and unselfishly helpful. Thank you. I haven't seen either of the blue choices on the road yet, and while preffering blue settled on Silver as a "safe" option, especially in the UK. Liked your SL600 colour, but the Jasper Blue looks a bit bright, and the Tanzanite a bit purple on the colour charts. Seen either yet? Any opinion on which one? What is the colour of the car in the thread on panaramic roofs?

And are the comfort seats worth it then?

This is all for an ordered 500, but do hanker after the SL55, especially since Jeremy C has settled into his so uncompromisingly griplessly.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Thanks for your appreciative comments. Mine are obviously from a UK perspective but I hope provide a little insight into the object of our desires.

Actually, I'm coming round to liking the seats. Came home a few days ago after a trying day, switched on the heat seating and the massage, works well and got out at the other end as fresh as a daisy. Jury's still out on the seat cooling - I can hear the fans spinning, but not much in the way of air coming out.

Linguatronic is a waste though, by the time you get her to understand what you want, you might as well have operated the COMMAND directly. It works better when the car is at rest, but she gets confused by the sound of the supercharged V8 going at full bore. But then, so do other road users

I don't share the concerns some have about COMMAND, I don't have a lot of experience with Sat Nav but it gets me where I want to go, the sound system is fine for my ageing ears, especially if you wind it up and I love the way the display colour scheme changes as it gets dark. Driving this car on a wet night is a special, secure place to be.

I'm pretty conservative when it comes to car colour and it's worth remembering what might work in a Mediterranean light might not work here in the UK.

Silver: Safe option, does not attract as much attention as PaulD says he gets with his black car. There are lots of silver cars on the UK roads, and silver is the most popular Mercedes colour by a mile. Does not show the dirt, I personally don't think the pano roof looks good with it. The picture above looks like Brilliant Silver. Don't like Tellur Silver, under grey British skies, it looks like pale blue. Waiting to see LondonLad's special silver which has an extra dose of metallic...

Black: Great, especially if you want the pano roof, looks great on the road but only if you keep it really clean. A black car shows the dirt and you need to be ultra careful when cleaning it.

Blue - I could happily live with either Tansanite or Jasper, seen both on the road, and probably would have gone with one if I did not already have a blue SL and a good choice if you want the pano roof. Don't like Topaz, looks like dirty turquoise.

I'm sure you will not feel at all short-changed by an SL500, it's still a quick car and I've said elsewhere that the ABC is the stand-out feature of the SL which is standard on the SL500, not so on the SL350, at least the German version.

Enjoy your SL500...
Old 10-30-2002, 08:35 AM

BMW 535d Touring
Mmmm, will probably change to Jasper Blue & Alpaca, since I have the Pano roof. Saw a photo on the site recently, looks good and I guess will look better in the UK gloom.

Great feedback, thanks again.....
Old 10-30-2002, 04:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i will take lotso pics of my sl with the pano. its a black SL500.. sooo soo nice.. lol
Old 10-31-2002, 01:08 AM

C-Class
could someone plz photo-shop this picture and paint the silver part of the roof black too? i think it will look better on silver car´s. the front-to-back black glass shape on the new e-class look really nice and is an unique benz-feature in my eyes.

it should look more like this e-class, i hope you understand what i mean.

Old 10-31-2002, 08:51 AM

Hi Mustard - I agree with blue SL's perceptive colour analysis. I have ordered Jasper SL55 with Alpaca grey exclusive nappa. Car is due January. I do like Tanzanite too and it was a close decision.

Didnt go for the pano roof as I plan to drive with the top down much of the time (as I do now with my SLK).
Old 10-31-2002, 11:50 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 E55 AMG
Can anyone explain where the sun shade for the panorama roof goes when not in use? I assume it must roll up in some way, as there doesn't seem to be enough room for it to slide rearward. Of course, I have not seen a panorama roof on an SL.

I have tentatively ordered the pano roof on my SL55, with a build date in decade three in December.
Old 11-01-2002, 11:50 AM

ML 500 Sport
Look at photo #3 in SL55AMG's post on page 1 of this thread you will see the shade goes into boxed in section at the rear of of the roof