SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Question About ESP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 SL 55 AMG, 01 Turbusa/8.43 @ 183..1/4 mi.
Question About ESP

On our SL-55's,

ESP prevents wheel spin (within reason) by applying which of the below:

1. Anti-Lock Braking to rear wheels.......

2. Ignition Retard.......

3. Ignition Kill on 2 cylinders.......

(I suspect Brakes but I am not certain).............

Ergo............if you turn ESP off under normal, relatively straight driving conditions/roads...........you can.........with proper throttle control........go faster/quicker.

That is my assertion........

SD
Old 05-04-2007, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
SuperDave, Kleemann says both 1 and 2, depending on circumstances:
If the ESP system senses wheel spin outside a predetermined parameter the system applies the brakes to the spinning wheel, which transfers power to the opposing wheel. If the opposing wheel begins to spin the system pulses the brakes on both wheels, if this does not mitigate the wheel spin the throttle begins to close to limit torque production of the engine.

Your assertion makes sense to me although I wouldn't be surprised if any number of people would do a worse job finding the traction limit through touch and feel rather than the through the feedback from ESP.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:26 PM

05 SL 55 AMG, 01 Turbusa/8.43 @ 183..1/4 mi.
Thank you Jmf,
You and I are on the same page, methinks.........
Dave
Old 05-04-2007, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by jmf003
SuperDave, Kleemann says both 1 and 2, depending on circumstances:
If the ESP system senses wheel spin outside a predetermined parameter the system applies the brakes to the spinning wheel, which transfers power to the opposing wheel. If the opposing wheel begins to spin the system pulses the brakes on both wheels, if this does not mitigate the wheel spin the throttle begins to close to limit torque production of the engine.

Your assertion makes sense to me although I wouldn't be surprised if any number of people would do a worse job finding the traction limit through touch and feel rather than the through the feedback from ESP.
However even though you turn the ESP switch off you will not completely disengage it. The only way that you can turn it off completely is to set the car in Dyno Mode. There are numerous threads on this board and the E55 board. A word of caution on this technique is that you also disengage the ABC and antilock brakes----a little scary on the highway.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:52 PM

2007 SL55 Renntech Stage 3
I have recently added a Quaife LSD and it seems to me with the Butt meter that I am faster accelerating with ESP off now than before. No real data to support that. Just feels faster. Of course the LSD makes a big difference in that you never get just one tire spinning.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by jm55
I have recently added a Quaife LSD and it seems to me with the Butt meter that I am faster accelerating with ESP off now than before. No real data to support that. Just feels faster. Of course the LSD makes a big difference in that you never get just one tire spinning.
So you like it, then. Good, good. I just scheduled a Quaife install for my car next week.

Both Sunil and Bill from Motorwerks had Quaifes installed in their cars and were raving about the difference.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:18 PM

2007 SL55 Renntech Stage 3
Sunil did my install. He did a great job. Car was back to me before the promised date. You will like the difference. ESP no longer interferes as quickly or as often. Both tires are pushing the car now instead of just one sometimes. In a turn if it breaks loose, it will actually swing the rear end out with ESP off.

I think it is great. The only draw back is I think I will go through back tires quicker now because I cannot resist stepping on it.