SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: CLK63 black series or SL55 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
Shrug

In that case I'd still consider the CLK BLack Series higher in the food chain than a SL55.

It looks different enough that 75% of the population will know its not a normal CLK.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Originally Posted by Anthony 98 GTS
At that price point...

For all performance...get a low milage Ford GT or Gallardo.

If you need more of a daily driver get a used SL65 or Bently GT.

If it is one of 10 rigs in the stable......pull the trigger.
Best advice in the thread. Unless you have a multi-millon dollar stable, keep the SL55 or get a Gallardo if you want something more exclusive and exotic.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:39 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by SLK55R
Man are we stuck on symbols or what?
Nah but it's kind of like buying a really large & very, very expensive home in a good but not the very best neighborhood...I'd rather have a smaller home in the best one.
Another analogy would be paying $130K for a souped up very limited edition 500hp Boxster...no matter how fast, it'll always be a Boxster.

Last edited by RJC; 05-18-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:41 PM
MrT

Originally Posted by RJC
Nah but it's kind of like buying a really large & very, very expensive home in a good but not the very best neighborhood...I'd rather have a smaller home in the best one.
Another analogy would be paying $130K for a souped up very limited edition 500hp Boxster...no matter how fast, it'll always be a Boxster.
Is this because you'd want a smaller home or because you worry what other people might think of you? I'd rather live in the home I want and not worry what neighborhood/catergory I fit into. If your car is the only thing that identify you then it's reallly sad.

Didn't realized how many people got hang-ups on quotas. Just drive a car you like and let others choose their own.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:12 AM

2008 S63 w/perf. pack, 2002 Ferrari 360 F1 spider , 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV (my Limo)
Originally Posted by SLK55R
I'm sure he won't take offense ... just as surely as none of the SL55 owners will take offense that the CLK (black) will beat a SL55 straight and kill it on curves.

The CLK63 BLack(remember its the 6.2 liter motor) will have the same amount of hp as the SL55. THe black series has been tuned to output the E63 hp numbers. The normal CLK63 convertibles have been slightly restricted.

This is a 1 in 300 type car ... the SL55 ( heh sorry has thousand"S")
I really don't think anyone on here doubts that the CLK black will be a faster car. I just don't think most Mercedes owners by a benz just for speed. If you really want speed, why not just go buy a modded up race bike, build a race car or get a corvette ZO6, you'd get speed for a lot less money . A benz is about luxury to most people, and the speed of AMG and 600 cars are an added bonus. And as i said once on this forum about the production numbers of certain cars. I really don't think car manufacturers don't make a lot of certain cars to claim exclusivity, I think it's because they know there will be a smaller market. In other words, the majority of people aren't gonna want it. People also tend to think that lower production numbers creates a lower depreciation for a car, not true. Cars that are desired tend to hold more value than cars that are less marketable to the general public.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by xecution
I really don't think anyone on here doubts that the CLK black will be a faster car. I just don't think most Mercedes owners by a benz just for speed. If you really want speed, why not just go buy a modded up race bike, build a race car or get a corvette ZO6, you'd get speed for a lot less money . A benz is about luxury to most people, and the speed of AMG and 600 cars are an added bonus. And as i said once on this forum about the production numbers of certain cars. I really don't think car manufacturers don't make a lot of certain cars to claim exclusivity, I think it's because they know there will be a smaller market. In other words, the majority of people aren't gonna want it. People also tend to think that lower production numbers creates a lower depreciation for a car, not true. Cars that are desired tend to hold more value than cars that are less marketable to the general public.

.........+1

.........someone that actually gets it and dare I say, explanis it well too. People get taken in by a car makers prmise of exclusivity. anufacturers build as many cars s they think they can sell.

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 05-19-2007 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Is this what has happened to the owners of performce cars? These sound like the rantings of the poseurs......."I buy cars for status", "I like everyone to know I have the fastest car, but I really don't drive fast", "Nobody will know by looking at it that it is the most expensive car"...........gag me.

Performance cars.....that are fast.....are meant to be driven.....FAST! They can also be tracked......and be competitive and fun, if you actually know what you are doing.

Please don't contribute to the poseur image. Buy a fast car for more than the badge, or that everyone will think its the most expensive. Buy it to drive, hard, and if you can't drive........take a driving school and get to the track.

Just my overtired 2am rant! But I mean it!
Old 05-19-2007, 01:25 PM

2008 S63 w/perf. pack, 2002 Ferrari 360 F1 spider , 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV (my Limo)
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
Is this what has happened to the owners of performce cars? These sound like the rantings of the poseurs......."I buy cars for status", "I like everyone to know I have the fastest car, but I really don't drive fast", "Nobody will know by looking at it that it is the most expensive car"...........gag me.

Performance cars.....that are fast.....are meant to be driven.....FAST! They can also be tracked......and be competitive and fun, if you actually know what you are doing.

Please don't contribute to the poseur image. Buy a fast car for more than the badge, or that everyone will think its the most expensive. Buy it to drive, hard, and if you can't drive........take a driving school and get to the track.

If you really just wanted a track car and not for status or luxury, people would buy a toyota supra, or basically just buy a race car, with no luxury features whatsoever, that's a reality, I don't see anything wrong with that. Don't judge ! This is a Mercedes forum.(best known for luxury) I am sure their are some race car forums out there, if the benz poseurs as you call us , aren't to your liking.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:43 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by MrT
Is this because you'd want a smaller home or because you worry what other people might think of you? I'd rather live in the home I want and not worry what neighborhood/catergory I fit into. If your car is the only thing that identify you then it's reallly sad.

Didn't realized how many people got hang-ups on quotas. Just drive a car you like and let others choose their own.
Haven't you ever heard it's better to buy a smaller home in the better neighborhood vs. the larger one in an area that's not as nice; or at the very least understand the rational behind this very sound wisdom? Actually I prefer having some room on my property and many where I live have built momuments to themselves where the house covers almost every square inch of their property just so they can have a 10,000++ sq ft home to which they rarely ever use more than half of ...not for me pal. I'll say it again $130,000.00 for a CLK no matter how fast, is absurd IMHO, just like a $130,000.00 500 hp limited edition Boxster would be and when all is said and done...it's still a Boxster.

Last edited by RJC; 05-19-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
Originally Posted by Murtaza
The only advantage for the CLK imo is depreciation, it should hold it's value a lot better then the SL.

Besides that, no way i'd get an overpriced CLK.

For that price it needs to lose good 300lbs (it's currently 3872lbs) and switch to a manual tranny. Automatic in whats suppose to be a pretty pure bred sports car...right.
is the black a manual
Old 05-19-2007, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
not manual

Tweeked version of the AMG 7 speed.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:06 AM

SL55AMG 2007 red/designo red, S500L Carlsson 2002 Black/Red designo
Who is Vadim, what is his nickname in this forum?...

Im interested because it seems that we are the same nationality
Old 06-11-2007, 05:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by xecution
Okay, the GM at the dealership I use, called and told me I could get on the list for a CLK63 black. I have months before it arrives but I really love my SL55. But I also have the addiction for buying whatever is the newest thing to hit the block. Would any of you guys trade your SL for a CLK black series or not? To me the only pros are that it will probably be a faster car ( not important since I don't make money for racing, other than that,speed is just for bragging rights) 2 it will be rare (but may just look like a kitted out CLK to most observers) and 3 , It will be the hottest new thing from MB AMG. The cons are, it's not a convertible, It won't have the status of an SL (except to car guys) and it may not have the SL flagship quality and features IMO. post your thoughts on this.

my thought is that you should trade in your 55 for a 550 and then go play chicken with an 18 wheeler.....

Last edited by AMG_55; 06-11-2007 at 05:46 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by European
Who is Vadim, what is his nickname in this forum?...

Im interested because it seems that we are the same nationality
Me and the other Vadim
I believe us 2 are the only ones
Old 06-11-2007, 05:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline

Old 06-11-2007, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Talking

Originally Posted by RJC
No matter how much it's souped up, it's still a C class.
x112103942862597256294562498710482379562041254.... ...+1
Old 06-11-2007, 09:07 AM

SL55, ML500, GT3 RS, 997C2S

+2 Amen.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:03 AM

04 M3, 05 R1
Let me ask you a question. Do you visit local Starbucks more than 4 times a week? if yes, get CLK 63BS because i will assure you that you'll be the life of the party within Starbucks goers. I will put CLK 63BS higher in the foodchain than SL55.