SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Bit_Chin Ipod Install!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
Talking Bit_Chin Ipod Install!

Wanted to share this with my SL-AMG Brothers First!

I pre-ordered the new Harman Kardon Drive+Play2 two months ago, after using the old Drive+Play for a year in my other car. I thought the new one would be the perfect thing for us with slightly older SL55's who don't have the benefit of the factory Ipod kit... I think this is BETTER!

I bought another 4GB Nano In silver to match the car Natch!... LOL! And finished the install tonight, it came out great! You have complete control over not only content in the Ipod, but the Ipod settings, and it's all via wireless remote control!!!

I simply pop the glove box, and hit the remote button, and presto, when I put the radio on Aux... I have wonderful sound. Much better than the Ipod alone.

I can see all the songs & Playlists clearly, and find anyone of my 800 favorite songs instantly while driving! AND get this; It solves the Aux Low Volume problem! This thing has it's own gain, and when I max it, the Ipod is now the same volume level as the radio, and CD! I leave the Bass Boost on in the Ipod, and it sounds perfect with the Aux Tone Controls Flat.

The thing is Really Quality, and works Great... Definately happy. It's $400 but you get what you pay for... Worth every Penny!

Here's Pics:

ENJOY !

Old 06-20-2007, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
nice idea. do you have to hard wire the hk unit into the car in the glove box for its own power? can the power jst be cut into the glove box light or something? do you have to physically shut of the ipod each time you exit the car? i see it charges the ipod when plugged in. also, what does it offer for say a portable xm or sirius radio unit to plug in to it? would it also power one of these units.
thanks
Old 06-20-2007, 08:10 AM

SL55AMG 2007 red/designo red, S500L Carlsson 2002 Black/Red designo
Hmm... Im thinking of buying Apple notebook or macbook... and Ipod nano... in europe they are not that popular!!! Any suggestions? Mac is better then windows or what?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:44 AM

SL55
Originally Posted by theboogers
nice idea. do you have to hard wire the hk unit into the car in the glove box for its own power? can the power jst be cut into the glove box light or something? do you have to physically shut of the ipod each time you exit the car? i see it charges the ipod when plugged in. also, what does it offer for say a portable xm or sirius radio unit to plug in to it? would it also power one of these units.
thanks

Boog,

Yes, you do have to wire the media hub to the car for power... There are 3 wires. Black for ground. Yellow for constant power, and Red for switched power...

I left the Red wire off, because on my other car I found it annoying that everytime you started the car, the Ipod started going, you could also hook that wire to the radio, so when you turned "It" on the Ipod would come on, but I didn't want that either. So this way the only time it the Hk unit, and Ipod come on is when you turn it on.

They are offering a Sirus adapter for the unit... But I'm an XM guy... And they will probably come out with that as well. The media hub I have hidden. I had to take out the glovebox to wire things up.

You can physically shut it off, but if inactive it shuts off anyway and the power for the cars lights shuts off automatically as well... And that's what I tapped off of... There are not many wires hanging around there! I was surprised.

Best,

RoydRage
Old 06-20-2007, 08:46 AM

SL55
Originally Posted by European
Hmm... Im thinking of buying Apple notebook or macbook... and Ipod nano... in europe they are not that popular!!! Any suggestions? Mac is better then windows or what?
I guess it's OT, but I'm not familiar with Mac... I love the Ipod though.

I'm a windows guy (pc), and will always be... I guess it's what you came up on... I write software for the Windows platform, so I would never think about going Mac... Besides, I like building my own computers... And that is something you just can't do with Mac.

A lot of people Love them though

RoydRage
Old 06-20-2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by RoydRage
I guess it's OT, but I'm not familiar with Mac... I love the Ipod though.

I'm a windows guy (pc), and will always be... I guess it's what you came up on... I write software for the Windows platform, so I would never think about going Mac... Besides, I like building my own computers... And that is something you just can't do with Mac.

A lot of people Love them though

RoydRage
Thanks!!!

I just noticed that you wrote that your AMG Sl has Matching Wood Trim Steering Wheel... can you post a photo of it!!! I dream about a AMG WOOD steering wheel!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 09:23 AM

SL55
Wink Wood Wheel

Originally Posted by European
Thanks!!!

I just noticed that you wrote that your AMG Sl has Matching Wood Trim Steering Wheel... can you post a photo of it!!! I dream about a AMG WOOD steering wheel!!!
Euro,

Your wish Is my command...

Best,

RoydRage

Old 06-20-2007, 09:29 AM

Euro,

Your wish Is my command...

Best,

RoydRage

thanks a lot!!!

Is that original, AMG wheel??? Where did you got it, and maybe you know, is it possible to get it for the new model with the pedal shifters...
Attached Thumbnails Bit_Chin Ipod Install!-myslwheel.jpg  
Old 06-20-2007, 09:34 AM

SL55
Wood Wheel

When I bought the car it already had it. The original owner had it installed at the dealer... It is a AMG wheel with Paddle shifters for the car... I would imagine if the '07 car is different, they also offer it.

Best,

RoydRage
Old 06-20-2007, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Can I ask why you chose the HK over the Dension Gateway 500?

http://www.dension.com/main.htm
Old 06-20-2007, 09:55 AM

When I bought the car it already had it. The original owner had it installed at the dealer... It is a AMG wheel with Paddle shifters for the car... I would imagine if the '07 car is different, they also offer it.

Best,

RoydRage
Hmmm... I will ask my dealer... I have an offer to buy AMG black seeries wheel!!! thats look nice!
Old 06-20-2007, 07:32 PM

SL55
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Can I ask why you chose the HK over the Dension Gateway 500?

http://www.dension.com/main.htm
I had the original Drive+Play in my other car for over a year and a half, and it has worked flawlessly.... Plus it works exactly like the Ipod itself very intuitive, and this is wirelessly controled so less wiring and it's very slick... Great for the money.

You have to see it in action. Plus this looks like a much more complicated install... The Drive+Play is quick and easy.

Best,

RoydRage

Last edited by RoydRage; 06-20-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Well done bro!!!

Have fun cruising while listening to your fav music now...
Old 06-21-2007, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
great post. has anyone done a sl with the denison that can help with description of the install for the sl.
also, has anyone tried a xm or sirius portable unit plugged into either unit? do you see all radio info on the screen.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Almost a Member!

98 BMW 750iL
I had the original Drive+Play in my other car for over a year and a half, and it has worked flawlessly.... Plus it works exactly like the Ipod itself very intuitive, and this is wirelessly controled so less wiring and it's very slick... Great for the money.

You have to see it in action. Plus this looks like a much more complicated install... The Drive+Play is quick and easy.

Best,

RoydRage
r u near MD? I wouldn't mind seeing that in action
Old 08-05-2007, 09:43 PM

SL55
Thumbs up Seeing is believing

Originally Posted by MD750
r u near MD? I wouldn't mind seeing that in action

Doc,

I would love to show you the setup... The Album Art that the Drive+Play2 displays is so beautiful in full color... But I live in Rockland County, NY

If your ever around this way... PM me. I'm be glad so show it to you!

Best,

RoydRage