SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 Injectors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 Injectors

After going though a recent replacement of my intercooler, the MB dealer told me today that they believe I've blown 7 of my injectors. I've had some simple mods done to the car (04 SL55)(program, headers, pulleys, lsd), and they believe running them on too hard of a duty cycle has caused them to run wide open when giving it much throttle.

The tech told me I should replace the injectors with higher performance ones. I'm experienced with putting injectors on older cars, but wasn't aware I might need to up the injectors to higher poundage ones on the SL. He says they're a standard Bosche style injector, and that they make better ones. Does anyone know where I can find these?

Just a side note, they're replacing them for free under warranty (with standard injectors).

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Wow, who's your dealer?
They seem much more mod friendly than you would normally expect.

I'd be surprised if the injectors need to be a higher capacity though.

OTOH, I have zero training or experience in rating injectors so value my advice according to what you paid for it.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always make a point to be nice to everyone, apparently not everyone does. They've told me how bad some customers can be, especially ones like me that own a lot of nice cars. I own a Cinnabon too, and make a point to always give them rolls when I come in I think it's paid off.

The tech told me a lot wasn't covered under warranty, but that his supervisors told him I was a nice guy and to just cover it all. That's a serious amount of money a few please, yes sir, and thank yous have saved me

Come to find out, it is a set of clogged Kleemann free flow CATs that are the culprit. They were nice enough to show me throught the scope today. They've offered to let me have them off the car to go *fix* -poke-poke, and then put them back on for me.

Supposedly MB cats are horrible for the inner section coming loose, he told me they see tons come back in where they've turned sideways. Kleemann seems to be no different.

At least maybe this will fix it...
Old 08-13-2007, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
It always pays to just be nice to people and treat them as you want to be treated. I have had the same experience with my dealer. They have covered things that were somewhat questionable, and I am sure that it had to do with having a good relationship.

I am sure Kleemann will stand up for their cats.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
The tech told me I should replace the injectors with higher performance ones.
Joseph:

Stock injectors flow enough fuel to make over 700 HP.

I can not see how you could of damaged 7 of your injectors. Their conclusions just make no sense.

If you can get more detailed information - trouble code numbers, fuel flow tests from the injectors and so forth.

Good Luck!