SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 is no Sports Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by AMGSport
Thanks for the response...I'm trying to determine if I have an issue with the car, or if it simply doesn't seem as fast now that I've had it a couple of months...
Yeah, sluggish acceleration is definitely the first indicator of a failing pump. Some dealers will replace the pump based on that alone. Mine wouldn't. I had to show them the output from a datalogger to get them to take action.

Good luck!
Old 10-09-2008, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmf003
Yeah, sluggish acceleration is definitely the first indicator of a failing pump. Some dealers will replace the pump based on that alone. Mine wouldn't. I had to show them the output from a datalogger to get them to take action.

Good luck!
My car is no longer under warranty; what is a fair price to pay for a pump replacement? Thanks again for the info...
Old 10-09-2008, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Do you notice, some days your car feels invincible, other days it feels sluggish. I to have had the same experience, but I had to ease of and pull back. If I leave my SL55 for about a week then go for a long slow drive
it starts performing like s**t. On the occasion I had to pull back I had been driving slowly for about half hour. After I got passed this car I thrashed it for ten minutes and the whole car came alive. I have had my SL55 nearly 4 years
so I know when it's not going well. To keep the engine fresh and the brakes
working and not corroding you must spend a few minutes thrashing it everytime you use it, that's what I do now.
Surely the i/c pump fitted by MB to use in all countries and temps should
be adequate and should last at least 5 years or more with low mileage.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
be adequate and should last at least 5 years or more with low mileage
Nope, besides the SBC brakes that were failing leaving men screaming in terror without brakes. The IC pump is one of the biggest blunders on the Komp 55's.
Horrific design that fails nearly 90+% of the time.

He has classic IC pump problems. That or he was beating it hard and then asked it for more and she went limp. Happens a lot without cooling mods.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Almost a Member!

sl55
Originally Posted by sound 8
Do you notice, some days your car feels invincible, other days it feels sluggish. I to have had the same experience, but I had to ease of and pull back. If I leave my SL55 for about a week then go for a long slow drive
it starts performing like s**t. On the occasion I had to pull back I had been driving slowly for about half hour. After I got passed this car I thrashed it for ten minutes and the whole car came alive. I have had my SL55 nearly 4 years
so I know when it's not going well. To keep the engine fresh and the brakes
working and not corroding you must spend a few minutes thrashing it everytime you use it, that's what I do now.
be adequate and should last at least 5 years or more with low mileage.
I have to somewhat agree, all HP engines/cars should be pushed close to their limits every now and then....hell thats what they were built for! Plus its so damn fun going on a 5 min hell ride in my 55!!

Can't wait to get home from this 5 day biz trip I am on to get her back out of the garage!!!
Old 10-10-2008, 05:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I agree, I recently came back from 2500 miles in Germany driving my 996 turbo at speeds up to 165mph and the car is transformed, really blown away the cob-webs. I'm sure the SL55 is just the same. Sadly, for most places, driving at high speed just isn't an option.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Almost a Member!

sl55
Originally Posted by blueSL
I agree, I recently came back from 2500 miles in Germany driving my 996 turbo at speeds up to 165mph and the car is transformed, really blown away the cob-webs. I'm sure the SL55 is just the same. Sadly, for most places, driving at high speed just isn't an option.
you LUCK ****!!!

man i could only dream of roads like that!!!
Old 10-10-2008, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You got it, I have been to Germany a few times, not only can you drive
quickly the quality of their driving leaves the UK standing.
Every day on the way to work it's 50-60mph if your lucky and when somebody
pulls over another idiot pulls out in front of you. Try that in GERMANY, also
try hogging the fast lane in Italy.
All these performance cars have to be driven hard from time to time, otherwise you'll be caught with your trousers down.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Of course, not every road is like that, but when you see the diagonal black stripe in a white circle and the road ahead is clear, you know you're in for a treat.

There's a new Autobahn, the A71 which seems to go from nowhere to nowhere and was pretty much deserted on the Sunday afternoon I drove it. 30 minutes high speed, about 20 minutes at 50 mph through a succession of tunnels - good to take a break, but boy does it seem slow - and then 30 minutes more high speed.

Great fun!
Old 10-10-2008, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Of course, not every road is like that, but when you see the diagonal black stripe in a white circle and the road ahead is clear, you know you're in for a treat.

There's a new Autobahn, the A71 which seems to go from nowhere to nowhere and was pretty much deserted on the Sunday afternoon I drove it. 30 minutes high speed, about 20 minutes at 50 mph through a succession of tunnels - good to take a break, but boy does it seem slow - and then 30 minutes more high speed.

Great fun!
Unfortunately I have no plans to go to Germany, but what a sensible country.
The roads in the UK are choking to death. When you get a clear road to get your foot down your never quite sure if the guy your going to overtake won't pull out when you could be doing 100 plus,that just doesn't happen in Germany, and of course there are mobile speed cameras ever where. They should at least raise the speed limit at night!! Soon owning a fast car will be for looks only.
I think it's time for a business trip to Europe...
Old 10-10-2008, 05:31 PM

SL55
Originally Posted by JackStraw
Well I found out the answers to two of my questions. The same IC pump is used in both the stock 55 and 600. In addition, the pump Renntech offers is used for the 55, 65 and 600.

On a separate note, the throttle response in my 600 was feeling a bit sluggish, so yesterday I did the "ECU reset" that was described on the boards last year. It worked wonders, the car responds much faster. For those who don't know about it, here are the instructions as described by Jakpro:

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position. (two clicks)

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.

BlueSL, give this a try if you haven't already... I would like to hear your thoughts.
how do you know when it is a successful reset? I tried it in my 55 but not sure if I did it right or if anything changed.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Maybe you shouldn't drive like an a-hole???
Old 10-13-2008, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CPD SLK
Maybe you shouldn't drive like an a-hole???
Who are you referring to?
Old 10-13-2008, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Well I found out the answers to two of my questions. The same IC pump is used in both the stock 55 and 600. In addition, the pump Renntech offers is used for the 55, 65 and 600.

On a separate note, the throttle response in my 600 was feeling a bit sluggish, so yesterday I did the "ECU reset" that was described on the boards last year. It worked wonders, the car responds much faster. For those who don't know about it, here are the instructions as described by Jakpro:

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

BlueSL, give this a try if you haven't already... I would like to hear your thoughts.
Only just seen this, thanks, will give it a try.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:43 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Stock, the 996 TT is the quicker car, it has a higher power to weight ratio so that providing you are in the correct gear, this will translate to better performance.
no. the 996tt is not faster than a healthy 55 blown car in a straight line. maybe from 0-30... but not after that.

How could 493bhp/1955kg be faster than 420bhp/1530kg?

If you think otherwise, you're trying to re-write the laws of physics.
you realize that from a 30+ and above roll-on weight has very little to do with acceleration- right?

alex
few cars
Old 10-14-2008, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 BEAST
Only just seen this, thanks, will give it a try.
This is a little known fact, but in order for the sneaky ECU reset to work, the doors of the car need to be closed throughout the entire process.

Go try again.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I reckon your car is fine..driver error I expect!! we all do it from time to time!
hopefully not to often!!
Old 10-14-2008, 11:59 PM

I did go through this process this evening, and I did notice that during the reset process the small yellow indicator light showing the car was in "park" stayed illuminated for about two minutes.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by alx
you realize that from a 30+ and above roll-on weight has very little to do with acceleration- right?
Nonsense. If that were true, a 40 ton tank would have the same performance as a Formula 1 car.

Ignoring friction and air resistance, the power an engine puts out translates into kinetic energy, 0.5 * mass * velocity squared. Divide by mass and the speed achieved is increases with the power to weigh ratio.

It sounds like the SL63 is a harder edged driving machine, but still hampered by the extra weight. If you want sports car performance, the first thing to do is the shed those extra pounds.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by W211 BEAST
This is a little known fact, but in order for the sneaky ECU reset to work, the doors of the car need to be closed throughout the entire process.

Go try again.
Question, can I do this on my CLS500? Works the same for all?
Old 10-15-2008, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
Yes you can. I normally do it to my brothers CLS 500.

After you do it go on an EMPTY street in Mexico and turn off ESP and just hit the gas. Even the 500 will have a little bit of a kick if you mess with the steering wheel enough.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:10 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Nonsense. If that were true, a 40 ton tank would have the same performance as a Formula 1 car.
do not take my statement out of context. ofcourse a heavier car will accelerate slower than a lighter car if everything else is the same. all i am saying is that in the real world with say 500 pounds of difference from a 60-ish roll-on acceleration rate is so relatively low that weight plays diminished role and hp/tq to the ground (read gearing) has the biggest impact.

to better illustrate- imagine a race from 260 - on. acceleration rate is so negligible that weight differences (again- we talk about say 500 pounds) are irrelevant. my personal experience is that at 60 any real-world weight difference becomes irrelevant handicap and as speed climbs it truly disappears from the acceleration equation. now ofcourse the larger the weight handicap the later it disappears, but you catch my drift.

and regarding the tank- if it is geared properly it might actually surprise you. ofcourse not against an f1 car, but overall. unfortunately a typical tank has 2300-2500 rpms redline and gearing is very unfavorable

How could 493bhp/1955kg be faster than 420bhp/1530kg?
and more thing - if you knew enough about vehicle dynamics you would never ask that question. at least not in that form.

alex
few cars

Last edited by alx; 10-15-2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by alx
do not take my statement out of context. ofcourse a heavier car will accelerate slower than a lighter car if everything else is the same. all i am saying is that in the real world with say 500 pounds of difference from a 60-ish roll-on acceleration rate is so relatively low that weight plays diminished role and hp/tq to the ground (read gearing) has the biggest impact.

to better illustrate- imagine a race from 260 - on. acceleration rate is so negligible that weight differences (again- we talk about say 500 pounds) are irrelevant. my personal experience is that at 60 any real-world weight difference becomes irrelevant handicap and as speed climbs it truly disappears from the acceleration equation. now ofcourse the larger the weight handicap the later it disappears, but you catch my drift.

and regarding the tank- if it is geared properly it might actually surprise you. ofcourse not against an f1 car, but overall. unfortunately a typical tank has 2300-2500 rpms redline and gearing is very unfavorable

and more thing - if you knew enough about vehicle dynamics you would never ask that question. at least not in that form.

alex
few cars
Yawn, I wasn't doing those sorts fo speeds where air resistance has such a huge effect.

Getting back to my original premise, if I define a sports car as one which accelerates quickly, stops quickly and changes direction quickly while keeping the driver involved and in touch with all that's going on, the SL55 fails to deliver. It's a fast and luxurious touring coupe to be sure and will out-drag many things away from a stop light. However, in the world I inhabit, there's more fun to be had than that.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:33 PM

AMG CLS63S SB.
NO it doesn't.

You've just made the most important statement there. As YOU define a sports car. I suggest most of the others you come across would beg to differ.

Last edited by gumsie; 10-17-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Well how would you define "sports car"? 1996 CL500? I don't think so...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 is no Sports Car