SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Battery Malfunction among other things???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 2006 previously Triple Black CLK55 Cabriolet 2002
Question Battery Malfunction among other things???

Hi guys,

I apologize in advance for the long detail. I took the girl(sl55) out yesterday and while I was driving I received the battery indication and the SRS light with message indicating Drive to Workshop. Then several other malfunction indicators occur which include roll bar light and all of a sudden my gas indicator stops reading the level of fuel and drops almost to empty(I know I have a full tank). I drive the car home as I am very close. I go to cut the car of as I am using the keyless function and the car will not cut off until I put the key in the ignition and cut it off.

I called the dealer and will bring the car in first thing monday morning. I go back to the garage and the smart key does not flash the lights and will not open the door, so I use the metal key. I try to start the car and it starts and no malfunctions? Has this happened to anyone and do you think this is all battery related? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited by clk554me; 09-16-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by clk554me
Has this happened to anyone and do you think this is all battery related? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Could be anything. I had a malfunctioning ignition unit in my S-Class once and that caused all sorts of weird problems (not while driving though). Including battery drain and the smart key not working.

Have them read out the car at the dealers and they'll pretty soon will find out which computer is broken.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 2006 previously Triple Black CLK55 Cabriolet 2002
Originally Posted by sprins
Could be anything. I had a malfunctioning ignition unit in my S-Class once and that caused all sorts of weird problems (not while driving though). Including battery drain and the smart key not working.

Have them read out the car at the dealers and they'll pretty soon will find out which computer is broken.
Thanks Sprins. I just took the car around the block. No malfunctions at start up and then 1/2 block away all of a sudden , it now indicates 5 malfunctions; Battery, roll bar, SRS, Tire pressure monitor inoperative, Sos Teleaid and last but not least Lamp indicator. Do you know if all of these functions are handled by the same battery or does this definately sound like computer problems?

Clk554me
Old 09-16-2007, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by clk554me
Thanks Sprins. I just took the car around the block. No malfunctions at start up and then 1/2 block away all of a sudden , it now indicates 5 malfunctions; Battery, roll bar, SRS, Tire pressure monitor inoperative, Sos Teleaid and last but not least Lamp indicator. Do you know if all of these functions are handled by the same battery or does this definately sound like computer problems?
Who knows. Could be the alternator. Could be a battery (you have 2), Could be a computer. Anyway I think it will be one part that is malfuntioning because all those malfunctions couldn't happen all at once.

Take her in for diagnose and repair.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CL500 216
If this was just a low battery problem you would get the consumers switched off message long before, and from the start up. If it was the alternator then it could fail after a short driving time.

Dont forget that the car runs from the alternator and not the battery, I think it is some odd electronic glitch though