SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: charged air recirculation pump. wtf??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 c55 AMG, 03 sl55 black/berry
charged air recirculation pump. wtf??

okay, as you guys know i got a used sl55 on tuesday, took it back to the dealer on wednesday cuz of sc problems. well they called me today whjen i was suppose to get it back and said that they have found the problem! it is a charged air recirculation pump, and that they have ordered it and should be in a monday. wtf is a charged air recirculation pump? first they told me it was the coolant, and now this, sounds like some bull****. well the problem i got right now is that i had 7 days after i bought the car to drive it and see if i still wanted it. I could trade it in for the value i bought it for any other car on their lot for equal or greater value. but i havnt even had it for more than 24 hours since i bought it,, wtf should i do? i am about to go there today and just test drive all kinds of options, but what do you guys think???? and plzz someone tell me what a charged air recirculation pump is???
Old 10-05-2007, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Whore
keep it... dont think you will find anything else like it.
warranty is a godsend
Old 10-05-2007, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by clumz
okay, as you guys know i got a used sl55 on tuesday, took it back to the dealer on wednesday cuz of sc problems. well they called me today whjen i was suppose to get it back and said that they have found the problem! it is a charged air recirculation pump, and that they have ordered it and should be in a monday. wtf is a charged air recirculation pump? first they told me it was the coolant, and now this, sounds like some bull****. well the problem i got right now is that i had 7 days after i bought the car to drive it and see if i still wanted it. I could trade it in for the value i bought it for any other car on their lot for equal or greater value. but i havnt even had it for more than 24 hours since i bought it,, wtf should i do? i am about to go there today and just test drive all kinds of options, but what do you guys think???? and plzz someone tell me what a charged air recirculation pump is???
"Charge Air Cooler" is the MB technical name for the intercooler. "Charge Air Cooler Circulation Pump" is the MB technical name for the intercooler pump.

Your car has apparently experienced the intercooler pump failure that crops up from time to time with the MB Kompressor motors. It happened to my car, too.

The old pump itself is the problem; it's not an indication of some other problem.

It's a good thing that it's been diagnosed and fixed...definitely not a reason to bail out on the car....
Old 10-05-2007, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
That's the dreaded IC pump. It's actually the charge air cooler circulation pump.

Happens to all 55's.

You're gonna' love the new power!
Old 10-05-2007, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
P.s.

I probably should have added a few additional comments.

The Charge Air Cooler Circulation Pump (aka intercooler pump) moves coolant between the Charge Air Cooler (aka intercooler) and a heat exchanger (aka radiator) that's mounted behind the front bumper. So their earlier comment about "coolant" is relevant, especially if they meant "pumping" when you heard them say "popping."

Their diagnosis is completely consistent with the symptoms you experienced and their solution is exactly what you want as an owner.

My take is they are doing the right thing by you and there's every reason to believe the new pump will resolve the problem and work for many tens of thousands of miles.

If it were me, I'd have no qualms about keeping the car. Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.