SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Beware!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55 AMG
From the sounds of it if anything good is going to come out of this is going to have to happen in the dealership. If MBUSA/corporate has hosed you, your only recourse would be through the dealer, who will hopefully fix it themselves and pay for it out of their own pocket.

Good luck, keep us posted!
Old 10-11-2007, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden
From the sounds of it if anything good is going to come out of this is going to have to happen in the dealership. If MBUSA/corporate has hosed you, your only recourse would be through the dealer, who will hopefully fix it themselves and pay for it out of their own pocket.

Good luck, keep us posted!
I am not particularly worried about the warranty issues but there is still the nagging question of potential "hosing" at lease return next Fall.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wink

Originally Posted by eugeneC55
How's 599? I still remember the sound when you floored it on Green Bay
Hi Gene,
Love the car,that one takes care of any stress caused by dealing with MB.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:02 AM

W221
Originally Posted by absent
Hi Gene,
Love the car,that one takes care of any stress caused by dealing with MB.
Don't know if you read EVO (my fave car magazine), they have 599 as EVO Car of the Year for 2006 and as their favorite supercar: " the Enzo's engine mated to one of the most indulgent and involving supercar chassis ever...With Carrera GT and Zonda F no longer in production, the 599 GTB Fiorana is our current fave supercar (and reigning Car of the Year)."
You have yourself an instant classic my friend, I think she's a keepr, enjoy!
P.S. i'm leaning towards S63 as my next car, CL63 also looks good but I need back space. Have anyone with these cars who can comment?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:31 AM

CL500 and ML55
Originally Posted by eugeneC55
P.S. i'm leaning towards S63 as my next car, CL63 also looks good but I need back space. Have anyone with these cars who can comment?
If you need the rear seat room - go with the S class.
Nobody can sit behind me when I drive my CL....unless they are able to fit in a carseat.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:08 PM

W221
Originally Posted by Chauss
If you need the rear seat room - go with the S class.
Nobody can sit behind me when I drive my CL....unless they are able to fit in a carseat.
I do need rear seat room but I find CL more atrractive (although I understand that S will fit my needs better)
Old 10-11-2007, 03:33 PM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
The way I see it... if you lease a car... then the car isn't actually yours to mod in the first place. I mean, I think Avis or Hertz would have a issue with me renting a car for the weekend and doing modifications on it... so why wouldn't MB?

Not meaning to flame you, but I can really see their point from a business perspective...

~ Ian
Old 10-11-2007, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by absent
Seems like a convenient way to wash their hands of the problem that is still not taken care off(car unstable while hard accelerating on less then smooth surface,feels like 60's muscle car with bad shocks).
My dad's SL55 had the same issues and spent at least that much time in the shop (there were many more problems as well). He Lemoned the car and got out of the lease.

I just hope MB doesn't make you pay for the repair/service work and they leave you alone at lease end...although Status 8 means the car will be under that category for the duration of the warranty. Sucks man...
Old 10-11-2007, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS
Originally Posted by IanSL55
The way I see it... if you lease a car... then the car isn't actually yours to mod in the first place. I mean, I think Avis or Hertz would have a issue with me renting a car for the weekend and doing modifications on it... so why wouldn't MB?

Not meaning to flame you, but I can really see their point from a business perspective...

~ Ian
I agree here. Why would you mod a leased car?
Old 10-11-2007, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
a lot of people do. the guy above you does, I do, absent does.
we don't want to buy the car because we'll be tired/bored of it within 1-2 years (if not even sooner) but we do want to make it faster/mod it to look better while we own it.

im sure tons of people put wheels on leased cars, its the same deal.
once they get rid of the car they will lose money on the wheels because its doubtful they will fit on their new car. same goes for performance mods, plus all the ones above are easily reversible.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:53 AM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Originally Posted by Fantasm
a lot of people do. the guy above you does, I do, absent does.
we don't want to buy the car because we'll be tired/bored of it within 1-2 years (if not even sooner) but we do want to make it faster/mod it to look better while we own it.

im sure tons of people put wheels on leased cars, its the same deal.
once they get rid of the car they will lose money on the wheels because its doubtful they will fit on their new car. same goes for performance mods, plus all the ones above are easily reversible.
What people do and don't do is not the point. You're RENTING the car (you never "own it")... and thus have a responsibility to the company you're renting it from... MB has an expectation that it will be used and returned with reasonable wear.

You don't think Hertz would have a problem if I rented a Jeep Cherokee from from them for a week, slapped a turbocharger on it on Monday, drove the car into the ground on by friday, took the mod off on Saturday, and returned the car on Sunday?

Lets pretend the car didn't have the suspension problem... The owner got the Kleemann ECU and after two years of use, removed it and returned the car when his lease was up. Then after that fact, Kleemann discovers that they made a mistake with their ECU unit which caused a major problem down the road in cars that were fitted with it. Now the owner already returned the car, but the damage was done... I know Kleemann is a very reputable company, but they're a seperate entity from MB. Don't you think MB has the right to protect itself against this?

Again, I'm not trying to flame anyone here - but what MB is doing in this situation makes a ton of sense from a business perspective.

~ Ian
Old 10-12-2007, 09:35 AM

SL55, Cayenne S, Tundra, 360 spider

You don't think Hertz would have a problem if I rented a Jeep Cherokee from from them for a week, slapped a turbocharger on it on Monday, drove the car into the ground on by friday, took the mod off on Saturday, and returned the car on Sunday?
Hell no, as long as you get the insurance you should be fine.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

~ Ian
That's why the title of this thread is what it is.....