SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Gas Smell = Cracked Tank?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
Gas Smell = Cracked Tank?

So I got my gas tank replaced about a month ago, because of the scratching noise issue. Just yesterday I started to smell this strong gas odor, only from inside the car cabin. So I dropped the car off at HBL MB (Tyson's VA). They claim that the tank has cracked, and that this is normal due to the stresses of the car. They claim the tank acts as a support for the structure of the car. Is this some BS they fed me because they installed the tank incorrectly? Has anyone ever had a cracked gas tank, let alone one only 30 days old?

https://mbworld.org/forums/images/smilies/crazy.gif
Old 11-06-2007, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by sl55inDC
So I got my gas tank replaced about a month ago, because of the scratching noise issue. Just yesterday I started to smell this strong gas odor, only from inside the car cabin. So I dropped the car off at HBL MB (Tyson's VA). They claim that the tank has cracked, and that this is normal due to the stresses of the car. They claim the tank acts as a support for the structure of the car. Is this some BS they fed me because they installed the tank incorrectly? Has anyone ever had a cracked gas tank, let alone one only 30 days old?

https://mbworld.org/forums/images/smilies/crazy.gif
They are full of it. They installed it incorrectly. Call MBUSA and file a complaint if the dealer does not replace the tank (properly this time) for free.

G/Luck