SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Becker Command II

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 06:35 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S-500 Lorinser, 540 Alpina, 512BBI, C-270 CDI Lorinser, Disco 2.5TDI, 2003 SL-500
Becker Command II

My information from MBSA is that the Becker DVD-based system will only be available on R230 as from mid-2004. Until then we will have to make do with the outdated Bosch CDR-based system.

However, the W220 S-Class will get Command II by Sept. 2003. These cars already have the larger 6.5" screen.

If this is correct, we will be stuck with the 5" steam-driven screen for some time, yet.

I got this directly from the Sales Engineering Manager of MB out here, and he reckons this applies worldwide. Will we really have to wait that long, when Lexus, BMW and others have already gone the DVD route? And he confirmed that there's no way of practically upgrading the old system to the new.

Regards,

P.S. Anyone know why, at this stage, the pano roof is only available on the SL500 and not on the SL55 (out here)? Does this apply elsewhere?
Old 11-15-2002, 08:16 AM

2001 S500
Need info soon...

I am about to specify my order for an SL55AMG and still have an oppourtunity to change my build date if I can find out when the conversion to COMMAND II will take place. Does anyone KNOW FOR SURE WHEN THAT WILL BE?? I called MBUSA yesterday and got the standard ... "we have no information" response. I need definate answers ASAP if anyone can help. Thanks
Old 11-15-2002, 09:54 AM

BMW 535d Touring
Comand II

I have a March/April 2003 build SL confirmed - according to Mercedes Benz UK - "Yes, Definitely - it will have Comand II DVD ".

Rechecked a few minutes ago - same answer " Yes we do know for sure, we are Mercedes (after hinting they MIGHT be ignorant) -we have had it confirmed from the factory."

Sure hope so, I can't wait any longer for my car.

Don't depend on this - its for UK cars, you'll have to get the situation for the US, SA, AUS or elsewhere from your dealer orgs.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:46 AM

2003 S500 4-matic, 2003 SL55
If u have the chance to get a SL55 take it do not wait for command 2, u will regret if they delay it furthur and your dealer will like to have your car to sell in the after market at a premium
Old 11-15-2002, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I really don't understand what all the fuss is about...
Old 11-15-2002, 12:18 PM

BMW 535d Touring
I don't either, Blue SL and I wouldn't postpone a slot for it, but heard a few nav issues are addressed, better drill-down, and I think I'm right in saying it will be fully HSCSD, GPRS, Bluetooth and Java enabled, which would help me personally, but is probably of absolutely no use to others.

Also one DVD disc for all of Europe makes sense - heard it might be possible to copy the DVD and update it quite cheaply using Java script which I don't think is possible with COMAND 2.

Bigger screen, too apparently, but there is no more info until next year...
Old 11-15-2002, 02:40 PM

sl55 2002
Pano roof is available on the 55 in UK...I know 'cos I've got it.

If your are going to get Pano roof seriously consider getting your car in black...externally you can't tell it's a pano roof unless you really look.

If you want to see what a black car looks like see here.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=20246

If you want to see roof up let me know.

P
Old 11-16-2002, 12:47 AM

2003 CL 55 2003 SL55 2000 S500 DESIGNO, 1999 SL 500 Sport, 1997 S320
command II

Went to my dealer today and asked what my build/delivery date(s) were. My salesman/sales manger said that I had a 3rd semester December build date with a (approx.) 3rd week of January delivery. He said and I quote.."If it's built in Dec. it will have Command I..If it's built in Jan. it will have Command II". He said something about the "E500's" coming in are on the same schedule in regards to the command II. He's going to check it out futher. I told him if it's only a matter of two weeks then I'll flip for the next in line. If they're just guessing, then I'll take the 3rd week of January delivery. I'm not in such a hurry that two weeks really matters..but if I'm getting jerked around and two weeks becomes 4-6 weeks, who knows. I'll check back next week and get the low down. This guy's usually a straight shooter, so time will tell.

Last edited by Breeze; 11-16-2002 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-16-2002, 04:43 AM
Almost a Member!

1999 E55 AMG
I have a 3rd decade December build date as well, but my dealer cannot confirm Command II delivery dates.
Old 11-16-2002, 07:54 AM

2001 S500
Breeze---

Breeze--we really want to know for sure...please post any info you get ASAP...Thanks
Old 11-17-2002, 01:30 PM

2013 G 63 AMG
Cool More detais oon COMAND II

From AutoSpies.com: http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e...e000101766.cfm

A new COMAND system celebrates its world premiere in the E 55 AMG

The latest generation of COMAND is marking its world premiere in the E 55 AMG. The pioneering radio, navigation and communications system is available as an option and stands out with its extensive range of comfort and safety-enhancing features. The new COMAND comes as standard with an RDS car radio with double tuner for FM, long, medium and short-wave reception, an amplifier with 4x 25-watt output, video DVD and audio CD player, and DVD navigation with dynamic route guidance based on RDS-TMC. Faster data transfer allows the new and highly efficient MOST (Media Oriented Systems Transport) bus system to considerably increase the processing speed of the system. The 22.5-megabit band width is a four-fold increase on the previous system, which used a D2B databus system.

DVD navigation increases the speed and precision of the route guidance system

The enlarged 6.5-inch colour screen in 16:9 format improves clarity in the navigation, audio and TV modes (optional). The navigation system is based on leadingedge DVD technology, with a series of factors making the latest incarnation faster and more precise that the previous CD-ROM-based system. The navigation computer has a more powerful processor, and the system also uses a separate asynchronous channel for the route guidance function which cannot be occupied by other channels. The detailed data underpinning the DVD system makes it even more powerful and precise. A DVD for the whole for Europe avoids the need to change from one CD-ROM to the next, making the whole system more user-friendly.

Route guidance also possible in 3-D

The route guidance system can run with either the familiar map and arrow presentation or using a new three-dimensional bird’s-eye perspective. The driver can also select an extremely informative split-screen option, which shows the road map on the left-hand side of the 50:50 screen and the symbols and advice on when to turn off on the right-hand side. The enlarged 6.5-inch colour display in 16:9 format improves clarity in navigation and TV mode. The navigation system can also be extended to include a dynamic route guidance function as an option. There is a separate slot for video DVDs and audio CDs, and a connection point for an MP3 player. The new COMAND system has 30 audio channels, with sound quality showing a considerably improvement on the previous version with six channels. The optionally-available surround-sound system offers the additional pleasure of a concert-hall ambiance.

A second monitor for the rear can be ordered as an option. This allows the rear passengers to watch the television whilst a different function is in use (for example, the navigation system or radio) on the COMAND module in the front of the car, or when the TV pictures are faded out in the front for safety reasons when the car reaches 6 km/h. The rear display offers plug-in facilities for two sets of headphones, as well as auxiliary equipment such as a video camera, digital camera with video output and games console.

“Bluetooth” telephone with state-of-the-art radio technology now available

Also available as an optional extra is a “Bluetooth” telephone. The cordless hand-set works with cutting-edge radio technology and can be used in combination with the fixed-installation car telephone. A mobile phone is also available as an alternative. Both telephones are fitted with a hands-free facility and can be operated using voice commands (LINGUATRONIC), or via buttons on the COMAND screen or multifunction steering wheel.

The mobile office with Internet access and voice control for all functions
As an option, the new COMAND system can be adapted to function as a mobile office, giving the driver and passengers the benefit of WAP Internet access, enabling them to send and receive SMS messages and e-mails, and providing a personal address book function for good measure. Access to the MB Portal will be possible in the near future, as will voice control during a journey, allowing all COMAND functions to be controlled by the driver or front passenger’s voice . The LINGUATRONIC system already available for the telephone and radio will be extended for use with the navigation, TV, Internet, e-mail, SMS and address-book functions in the new COMAND system. There is even a voice recorder on board, allowing short messages to be recorded quickly in much the same way as with a dictating machine.

With this extensive range of new technology and functions, Mercedes-Benz is making an important contribution to road safety, as the driver no longer has to take his hands off the steering wheel or his eyes off the road in order to operate the COMAND system.

The new-generation COMAND system is now available for the E 55 AMG and all other Mercedes-Benz E-Class Saloons.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:46 AM

Just curious, does anyone know if there is any chance of hoping for a clean upgrade path from the COMAND 2.0 CDR system to the new DVD command system?

---
03 SL55
Old 07-29-2003, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
I just had the Command II retrofit on my E55 yesterday. IMO, definately worth the wait.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
I think its kinda sad its taking mercedes so long to make a dvd navi
Old 07-29-2003, 12:24 PM

Comand retrofit?

Stephens,

So you have been through the process of retrofitting a DVD comand system into an E55??? Wow! Now that it is done, are you and your copilot(s) enjoying the added features?

Sounds like it may have been a tortuous process....Do you mind divulging the details (wiring surprises, re-location of hardware issues, length of time, $$$, etc.)?
Old 07-29-2003, 02:48 PM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Breeze - could you clarify regarding what your dealer said regarding Command II for the E500's? It is my understaning that the E Class had no command in 2003 and that some 2003's produced in July have Command II (for those who paid for it and got new cars on an exchange proram) with all 2004 model E's having Command II available. Is your dealer suggesting that there is a delay to getting Command II for the E Class now until December??
Old 07-29-2003, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
Re: Comand retrofit?

Originally posted by victoria
Stephens,

So you have been through the process of retrofitting a DVD comand system into an E55??? Wow! Now that it is done, are you and your copilot(s) enjoying the added features?

Sounds like it may have been a tortuous process....Do you mind divulging the details (wiring surprises, re-location of hardware issues, length of time, $$$, etc.)?
No issues with the retrofit. It was all done by the dealer in a day at no charge. Seems to have fixed a number of bugs in the user interface as well. The only problem I have is I ordered the TV option, but it turns out that the car was not pre wired for it.because of the retrofit. Dealer is now offering me a discounted new car to make good.