SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Kids with SL55s? I thought my C32 was cool..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dad - CL550, Me C350, Sista B8 A4
im still amused at the DB9 Volante, M5's M6's (all modded btw) ranges and oh yea the SLR sitting in front of our business building...
ridiculous
Old 03-03-2008, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by RRod
I'm not sure how leases really work because I've always paid cash for all the cars I've collected over the last 40+ years, so I'm curious how you got the lease company to okay all those modifications?
I didn't get them to ok it. I just did it. Its back to stock now, incase you're wondering.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
My kids will probably drive whatever I give them from my collection when they are old enough, and one thing for sure, it won't be one of the followings: AMGs, Ms, Porsche's, stripped down race cars, GT-R, Lambo, & Ferrari.... wait, that means they have to ride the bicycle to school and that's the point!!! Well, at least that's a problem I won't have to worry about for the next 20 years or so.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:25 AM

SL55AMG 2007 red/designo red, S500L Carlsson 2002 Black/Red designo
Its a nice topic to speak about.

When I was 16 my father bought me brand new specially made for me BMW 760Li Individual with all possible options and extras it could have, this was a gift for good studing and good behavor. Im 20 right now, I was driving it for 2 years, then I finished school at 18 (we have a different system then in US). They I got my Porsche Cayenne Turbo from my dad, which he drove for couple of months and bought a new ride to himself. Then in few months I was doing so great at his company, made him abt a million US dollars, and he decided to buy me SL 55 AMG 2008....

So now, Im 20, I have Cayenne Turbo as my dd, SL 55 AMG as my summer car.

My point, If your child dont dissepoint you in any way, and make father proud, why not to make child happy with expensive gifts. K mon, when I turned 18 he gave me 35`000 dollar rolex watch. I always knew, if I will do best what I can, I always will have what I wont.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:54 AM

My ex-cars: 03 E55,04 C32, 05 C55 ,03 E320
My mom got me an E320 when I was 18..nothing crazy like some other kids
Old 03-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Here's the point. All too often these days, kids think they should be rewarded by their parents with material things for good grades, not being a pain in the ***, etc. When in reality, those are things a child should be doing as a reward to himself, not the parents.
When I was in school, I strived for good grades so I could support myself when my parents no longer should. I got good grades because I didn't want to burden my parents, who were only so kind as to bring me into this world and feed and clothe and love me. There was no sense of being owed anything for simply meeting what was EXPECTED of me in the first place. I didn't have a high school graduation party because I didn't want one. It was expected that I graduate from high school. Granted, there are kids who are responsible, but for every one of those there is ten more out there that are little ****s because their parents enabled them to think they are entitled to such gifts, like their parents should be so lucky to be graced with their presence.

Last edited by jpcdmd; 03-06-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:37 PM

M Cars, old Corvettes, other old Detroit Muscle, etc.
Originally Posted by European
Its a nice topic to speak about.

When I was 16 my father bought me brand new specially made for me BMW 760Li Individual with all possible options and extras it could have, this was a gift for good studing and good behavor. Im 20 right now, I was driving it for 2 years, then I finished school at 18 (we have a different system then in US). They I got my Porsche Cayenne Turbo from my dad, which he drove for couple of months and bought a new ride to himself. Then in few months I was doing so great at his company, made him abt a million US dollars, and he decided to buy me SL 55 AMG 2008....

So now, Im 20, I have Cayenne Turbo as my dd, SL 55 AMG as my summer car.

My point, If your child dont dissepoint you in any way, and make father proud, why not to make child happy with expensive gifts. K mon, when I turned 18 he gave me 35`000 dollar rolex watch. I always knew, if I will do best what I can, I always will have what I wont.
Young drivers in many northern European countries tend to be more mature and safer drivers because the penalties for drunk driving are much stiffer than in the US .... I have heard stories that some places in Europe even suspend your driver's license for life after only one drunk driving conviction .... right?
Old 03-06-2008, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2023 Range rover 2022 RAM TRX (bad ass):) - 2023 911 Turbo 2019 Wrangler 2021 E63s Wagon
When I turned 16 My dad bought my a brand new GMC typhoon. thing was bad ***! I smoked my best buddy in his twin turbo brand new Z at the time...1994. then as a HS grad present for being honor roll I got the new (at the time m3 (in yellow haha) then an m5 when i graduated college. Now I buy my own car.
but point is there is nothing wrong with having nice things when your young...it wont spoil you if you have any charachter IMO.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:30 AM

not even close to a MB, but it hauls 10,000 lbs
I'm shocked at some of the posts here.

I think anyone who chooses to give a child a $100k+ car has serious issues. Maybe it's compensation or guilt, that they were too busy working to be successful, instead of spending quality time with their children!

Personally, as a father of 2 kids under the age of 4, I've decided that I'd rather work less and spend more time with my kids. It's the only chance I'll have, and in this world, priorities and values seem to be going down the toilet.

Consequently I run my own consulting business and choose to employ engineers to take care of my clients so I can be the best dad I can be. I make about 30% of what I would make doing all the work myself, which I could, but it's more than enough, and I'm loving it.

As far as I see it, I'm never going to look back and say "Damn, I wish I worked more hours when my kids were growing up!"

My kids are going to grow up with a good work ethic, respect, responsibility and will not take material possessions for granted. We will provide them with the opportunities to earn an allowance (10 acres of forest to manage) and they will receive the very best care and education.

My parents both have an 8th grade equivalent education. They didn't own a bed for their first 2 years of marriage.
They worked and slaved to take care of my siblings and I and I felt privileged growing up, although at the time I didn't notice that I lived in a 3 bedroom apartment with 1 bathroom, behind a Fish n Chip shop. I shared a room with my brother until I was 15.
We all went to private schools and I put my allowance (which I worked in the Chip shop for) into a savings account and bought my own first car for 1500 pounds. It didn't matter that it was a POS. It was mine!

My parents are now retired and millionaires. Yet they still drive a modest vehicle and live in the same house that they bought in 1991.

Their priority in life is to ensure their kids are taken care of. We've all managed to be successful in our own respective fields, so they haven't had to take care of us at all, so now they're building wealth for the grandkids - but they're not going to need it either.

Rant over...
Old 03-07-2008, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by orbrit
My parents are now retired and millionaires. Yet they still drive a modest vehicle and live in the same house that they bought in 1991.

Their priority in life is to ensure their kids are taken care of. We've all managed to be successful in our own respective fields, so they haven't had to take care of us at all, so now they're building wealth for the grandkids - but they're not going to need it either.

Rant over...
You make excellent points, however I think the people being discussed on this thread are probably worth hundreds of millions of Dollars, Euros or Pounds Sterling ... more than enough for a 100 lifetimes and well beyond ever needing to worry about running out of money for their future family dynasties. The cars they choose to buy for their offspring/wives/mistresses/girlfriends/boyfriends are mere chump-change to them.

Remember the age-old old saying:

The very rich are (sometimes) different from you and me (in their attitudes toward wealth, entitlement and extravagance).

http://www.answers.com/topic/extravagance

Nothing personal here .... just the way things turned out on this spec of dust within the galaxy

Last edited by RRod; 03-07-2008 at 03:13 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
You make excellent points, however I think the people being discussed on this thread are probably worth hundreds of millions of Dollars, Euros or Pounds Sterling ... more than enough for a 100 lifetimes and well beyond ever needing to worry about running out of money for their future family dynasties. The cars they choose to buy for their offspring/wives/mistresses/girlfriends/boyfriends are mere chump-change to them.

True....but at the same time there are probably alot of people on here lying about 99% of things. I think we have seen that, too.

Orbrit....good post. I am probably younger than you but just had my first son 6 months ago. I work like crazy (thus me being up at 4AM) but am paid very nicely. That being said, I have been thinking about cutting back to spend more time with him....it would mean a cut in salary but who cares. Priorities indeed change.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:06 AM

2023 Range rover 2022 RAM TRX (bad ass):) - 2023 911 Turbo 2019 Wrangler 2021 E63s Wagon
Yea people think I am a slacker at work as well, but I am always around with my kids every single day I do breakfast from 7-9....then home at 4 ready to do something until dinner with both of them....3.5 yrs and 8 months today. yes she was born 7/7/07. that is the most importnant thing to me as well. I could make more as well with a ton of hours but forget that!
Old 03-07-2008, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by RRod
Young drivers in many northern European countries tend to be more mature and safer drivers because the penalties for drunk driving are much stiffer than in the US .... I have heard stories that some places in Europe even suspend your driver's license for life after only one drunk driving conviction .... right?
First, it is extremlly hard to get driving license in here... I spend 3 months getting my licence. 3 times a week for 4 hours during one month I was listening about rules and safety, and then 2 months driving with a proffesional driver near me. And this must do all, with no exeptions!!!! Its very, very hard!!! and after all of that, there are 2 exams, driving with 3 instructors and road rules and sefety rules. They are extremlly hard.

For driving drunk, minimum that you will get is 1 yaer without driving license and 3-5k US fine. But I know people who were stoped twice for beeing dronk, and that person spend 1 year in jail... in germany it is the same.... So we are more carefull here.... !
Old 03-07-2008, 09:11 AM

I'm shocked at some of the posts here.

I think anyone who chooses to give a child a $100k+ car has serious issues. Maybe it's compensation or guilt, that they were too busy working to be successful, instead of spending quality time with their children!

Personally, as a father of 2 kids under the age of 4, I've decided that I'd rather work less and spend more time with my kids. It's the only chance I'll have, and in this world, priorities and values seem to be going down the toilet.

Consequently I run my own consulting business and choose to employ engineers to take care of my clients so I can be the best dad I can be. I make about 30% of what I would make doing all the work myself, which I could, but it's more than enough, and I'm loving it.

As far as I see it, I'm never going to look back and say "Damn, I wish I worked more hours when my kids were growing up!"

My kids are going to grow up with a good work ethic, respect, responsibility and will not take material possessions for granted. We will provide them with the opportunities to earn an allowance (10 acres of forest to manage) and they will receive the very best care and education.

My parents both have an 8th grade equivalent education. They didn't own a bed for their first 2 years of marriage.
They worked and slaved to take care of my siblings and I and I felt privileged growing up, although at the time I didn't notice that I lived in a 3 bedroom apartment with 1 bathroom, behind a Fish n Chip shop. I shared a room with my brother until I was 15.
We all went to private schools and I put my allowance (which I worked in the Chip shop for) into a savings account and bought my own first car for 1500 pounds. It didn't matter that it was a POS. It was mine!

Rant over...
This is why you drive Toyota!!! You dont want to secrifice your time and energy for good future of your familly. You are a clear example of a Looser. No offense.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
First, it is extremlly hard to get driving license in here... I spend 3 months getting my licence. 3 times a week for 4 hours during one month I was listening about rules and safety, and then 2 months driving with a proffesional driver near me. And this must do all, with no exeptions!!!! Its very, very hard!!! and after all of that, there are 2 exams, driving with 3 instructors and road rules and sefety rules. They are extremlly hard.

For driving drunk, minimum that you will get is 1 yaer without driving license and 3-5k US fine. But I know people who were stoped twice for beeing dronk, and that person spend 1 year in jail... in germany it is the same.... So we are more carefull here.... !
I think you guys have the right idea. Driving license in USA seems to be a right versus something you should earn. I wish we had requirements that needed to be passed before people could have a kid, might eliminate a lot of social problems.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by SL2003driver
I think you guys have the right idea. Driving license in USA seems to be a right versus something you should earn. I wish we had requirements that needed to be passed before people could have a kid, might eliminate a lot of social problems.
hehehe... nice said! Post photos of you SL 550, its a great engine!!!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by mjr24
True....but at the same time there are probably alot of people on here lying about 99% of things. I think we have seen that, too.
No arguement here about that
Old 03-07-2008, 11:28 AM

really you guys think that 99% of people here are lying...damn I am naive.
well I am not here is a pic.
https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...7&d=1204908325

Last edited by jimand7; 03-07-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:39 PM

not even close to a MB, but it hauls 10,000 lbs

This is why you drive Toyota!!! You dont want to secrifice your time and energy for good future of your familly. You are a clear example of a Looser. No offense.
Ever tried hauling an 8000 lb trailer with your MB?
That's why I drive a Tundra - because it's the best 1/2 ton pickup available.

So how does working less to spend time with my family equate to not sacrificing my time and energy for the good future of my family?
Isn't making less money the sacrifice? Or are you saying I should work more and pay someone else to raise my kids?
My family's future is just fine. You know nothing about my personal situation so I'll disregard your advice, thank you.

And I'm the loser, huh?

Maybe if you should learn to spell and type before trying to judge other people, because you come across as an illiterate child.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:42 PM

Ever tried hauling an 8000 lb trailer with your MB?
That's why I drive a Tundra - because it's the best 1/2 ton pickup available.

So how does working less to spend time with my family equate to not sacrificing my time and energy for the good future of my family?
Isn't making less money the sacrifice? Or are you saying I should work more and pay someone else to raise my kids?
My family's future is just fine. You know nothing about my personal situation so I'll disregard your advice, thank you.

And I'm the loser, huh?

Maybe if you should learn to spell and type before trying to judge other people, because you come across as an illiterate child.
All right .... come on guys, let's call it a draw and move on please

Last edited by RRod; 03-07-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by jimand7
really you guys think that 99% of people here are lying...damn I am naive.
well I am not here is a pic.
https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...7&d=1204908325
I keep hearing that the wealthiest 1% possess 99% of the world's assets so I believe you
Old 03-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Almost a Member!

I don't even own a Benz, I spend a lot of time on Lexus forums. Calling someone who nicely posts about how he cares about his kids "a looser" (sic)would probably get your butt banned on ClubLexus for such a display of childishness.
You, my friend, are the very example of why you shouldn't buy your punk kids extravagant gifts. You are the loser. You are what happens when kids become spoiled. And yes, you are a kid, not an adult. You are the Eurotrash garbage that grows up to be such a punk that all you can muster is calling somone a loser if they don't drive a benz.
You'd probably be scraping food off the streets if it weren't for your parents so how dare you call someone else a loser who's just trying to be a good example to his kids.

Last edited by jpcdmd; 03-24-2008 at 08:29 PM.