SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Factory or Replica AMG Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Factory or Replica AMG Wheels

Someone told me today a few companies manufacture replica AMG wheels, even have AMG stamped by the lug nuts.... Is this true?? I bought an E55 but it has winter tires on it, and the TPMS doesn't work. Maybe the previous owner had two sets of wheels, and the winter set I got is of replica wheels? What is a sure way to know, without taking the wheel off and looking at the stamp on the inside- and what would true AMG wheel serial numbers look like? I'm concerned -thank you very much!
Old 02-28-2008, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by jpohl402
Someone told me today a few companies manufacture replica AMG wheels, even have AMG stamped by the lug nuts.... Is this true?? I bought an E55 but it has winter tires on it, and the TPMS doesn't work. Maybe the previous owner had two sets of wheels, and the winter set I got is of replica wheels? What is a sure way to know, without taking the wheel off and looking at the stamp on the inside- and what would true AMG wheel serial numbers look like? I'm concerned -thank you very much!
TPMS sensors are separate from the wheel itself. Most likely the previous owner did not purchase the extra sensors when he purchased the extra wheels and winter tires.

I've never seen replica wheels with AMG stamped on them. That'd be a pretty significant trademark infringement...I'd expect Mercedes to be all over the replica manufacturer if it was happening.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Originally Posted by jmf003
TPMS sensors are separate from the wheel itself. Most likely the previous owner did not purchase the extra sensors when he purchased the extra wheels and winter tires.

I've never seen replica wheels with AMG stamped on them. That'd be a pretty significant trademark infringement...I'd expect Mercedes to be all over the replica manufacturer if it was happening.

Or maybe the wheels truly are original and the owner merely dismounted and mounted winter tires in fall and summer tires again in spring? I was only speculating they could be replicas, due to the ease of two sets of wheels in snowy climates........ didn't think about the copyright limitations. Thank you!