SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 4 seats v 2 seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jaguar xkr
Question 4 seats v 2 seats

Right, i'm a relative newcomer & would like to share something with everyone.
I'm a caraholic, one new car every 4 months, its got to the point where I think I need to see a quack
I've driven almost everything, Bentley GT's (x3), 911 Turbo's, SL55, M3, E55 (x2), ML63. The list is almost endless, I think I have actually forgotton half of them! My current car is the E63, I got rid of my last car (Bentley GT) because my good lady had our first baby (daughter) 7 months ago so I figured that 4 doors would be more 'sensible'. Anyhow, I've had it 2 months (wait for it) & I have to say, its getting harder and harder to look at it, good car to drive etc etc but its 'looks' are starting to depress me It could be a ford bloody mondeo (I told you I needed a quack). Anyhow, my point is who else has young kids or babies on here? My good lady has the Land Rover Freelander 2, this is a brilliant 'family car', everywhere we go as a family is in this car, I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I did'nt need to get a 4 door car & could have easily kept the 2 door car. Wife + Baby still hav'nt been for a ride in the Mondeo, sorry E63.
So what do you good people think? Apart from me being totally nuts. I'm 42 by the way (I seriously like the look of the new SL63 by the way)
Old 02-29-2008, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
I'm with you: not every car has to be a family hauler. Since you've got the LR, why not have an SL as the second car?
Old 02-29-2008, 04:43 PM

jaguar xkr
might be on the cards! Am waiting to see the SL63 in the flesh.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Almost a Member!

i wish i knew you were getting rid of your Bentley...anyhow...i have a small child myself and went with the S65 wife thought it was great to have a 4 door even with the other cars...so i got the ok to spend more again...but when i got it i then explained how this car is never to be touched by anyone but me!!! she was mad for a day but nothing a shopping spree wont heal!!!
plus i have tons of room in the back for my stuff and clubs in the trunk...oh yeah and i forgot but the thing is FAST...real FAST...E63...give it to your wife. i need two E63 and then i can use them as roller skates. just kidding. good luck!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 05:44 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Suspect there are a few new car addicts on this forum....I tend to get new cars every 3-4mos as well (will receive my SL63 030 in May)....enjoy playing w/latest/greatest technologies and admiring aesthetics of pristine, new cars....

Given what some guys spend on divorces, vacation travel, golf, etc, would guess a frequent new car addiction is a relatively cheap/efficient source of entertainment (as well as daily transportation)....

May want to consider new S65 for kid-hauler duty; have a couple of <40yo car nut colleagues who've gone that route and they seem pleased....

Personally, have never found/driven any SUV (even those of Porsche/MB) that offers confidence-inspiring active safety dynamics....and/or impressive (or even competent) passive safety tech....and have never been convinced by SUV/wagon/minivan logic (or illogic) of having unsecured storage items w/proximity to passenger compartment, esp in any severe deceleration....intra-car/SUV missles are unlikely to be additive to safety....