SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: New SL 63 or

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jaguar xkr
New SL 63 or

Aston Martin Vantage, what do you reckon?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:59 AM

2007 Escalade EXT, Stealth TT 600 AWHP
Aston. Come on, youre from the UK, you shouldnt need to ask!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:01 AM

jaguar xkr
have never driven the Vantage, but don't think the interior will be as good as the SL?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
The Vantage is a nice car but the retractable hardtop on the SL63 makes it an easy choice.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:27 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
May want to test-drive a new AM....

Test-drove a DB9 for 50mis or so back in ?'05.....IMO, one of least impressive $100K+ cars on planet in terms of perf/dynamics/ergonomics/quality of materials/safety/daily-useability.....perhaps a car to buy some engineering-clueless, aspirational brand-oriented wife/nanny, etc who views cars as part of her tacky costume jewelry....

Have always been mystified why cos. like AM/B/L/Audi/BMW, etc get so much positive press, yet, when test-driven by even a mediocre but jaded driver, so obviously struggle w/basics like tq/smoothness/advcd gearboxes/steering/brakes/safety/ergonomics/high-quality interior materials, etc etc.....awful engineering wrapped in an aspirational brand....but would guess smartest engineers have chosen to work for (or start) SiliconValley tech cos. for past 10-20yrs, so ranks of talented engineers at auto cos. are prob fairly sparse at this stage....and oligopolized by AMG, Ferrari and Porsche.....
Old 03-10-2008, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by WSH

Test-drove a DB9 for 50mis or so back in ?'05.....IMO, one of least impressive $100K+ cars on planet in terms of perf/dynamics/ergonomics/quality of materials/safety/daily-useability.....perhaps a car to buy some engineering-clueless, aspirational brand-oriented wife/nanny, etc who views cars as part of her tacky costume jewelry....

Have always been mystified why cos. like AM/B/L/Audi/BMW, etc get so much positive press, yet, when test-driven by even a mediocre but jaded driver, so obviously struggle w/basics like tq/smoothness/advcd gearboxes/steering/brakes/safety/ergonomics/high-quality interior materials, etc etc.....awful engineering wrapped in an aspirational brand....but would guess smartest engineers have chosen to work for (or start) SiliconValley tech cos. for past 10-20yrs, so ranks of talented engineers at auto cos. are prob fairly sparse at this stage....and oligopolized by AMG, Ferrari and Porsche.....
Your posts get more outrageous by the day. Agree that the Aston's are not up to snuff as driving machines but saying Audi and BMW are behind Merc technologically is madness. Audi came out with DSG years ago while BMW brought SMG to the table, which Merc is now going with in the form of the single wet clutch MCT. Cars like the R8 and M5 are benchmark cars for a reason. Also, try driving a W12A8 and tell me it's not luxury. True, the S-Class is for me the best luxo car out there but the others bring their own attributes/attitude to the table.

I'm certainly not saying Merc are inferior, but I do feel that saying that BMW and Audi are is way off beat.

As for Lexus well their reliability/safety is top of the range from some experience driving an LS
Old 03-10-2008, 06:20 PM

2005 SL55 AMG
I would take a SL63 over a Vantage anyday. But, I woudl take a DB9 over a SL63 anyday
Old 03-10-2008, 06:24 PM

The Vantage feels so cheap, even though it doesn't look it. When I close the door to drive it, it feels like I am closing the door on a Toyota. So flimsy. SL door is powerful, and secure IMO
Old 03-10-2008, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
Your posts get more outrageous by the day.
Most be a Silicon valley/engineer/type thing.....or maybe the way he speaks/types/writes, etc. Stopped reading his posts a month ago. Very stereotypical person....not exactly the way to be considering he lives in San Fran. Enough said.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by WSH

You seem to be in the position to drive a lot of great cars. From reading some of your other posts you can even trade high $$$ cars within 1 year and buy another high $$$ car. That has to cost a ton in depreciation. Your living the dream.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Banned

06 SL55
The Aston Martin Vantage is/feels so cheap, I can't stand it.

But the DBS (or the ordinary DB9) is a different story. I love my SL but next time around, I would honestly rather buy an DBS/DB9 than another pedestrian and mass-produced AMG SL.

Last edited by Goyard; 03-10-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by manunitedfc
Aston Martin Vantage, what do you reckon?
Perhaps, my chiming in is a bit more relative than others' since I have had an SL 55 (2004) and currently own an Aston Martin Vantage (2008).
The fit and finish of the Aston are SUPERB, second to none. Yeah, there are some Volvo and Ford elements in it, i.e. the NAV screen and the Key Fob, but that is about it. The immense amounts of leather and alcantara used all around the interior as well as the custom hand stitching easily make the
Aston far more luxurious and exclusive than the SL, IMO. The engineering on the car is excellent, with handling and braking that will run circles around the heavier SL. Sure, the SL has an out of your seat feel when launched in a straight line, but the Vantage is quite a capable car too. Just check out some of the lap times around world tracks on www.fastestlaps.com You can see that it fairs better or comparable to the SL. The universal appeal of its gorgeous lines still leave me breathless. The rarity of the car is a big plus. Also, the car has not had any of the major issues one traditionally associated with British engineering. they have really done a great job

Originally Posted by BrabusTrojanSL
The Vantage feels so cheap, even though it doesn't look it. When I close the door to drive it, it feels like I am closing the door on a Toyota. So flimsy. SL door is powerful, and secure IMO
I have no idea what you are talking about. All I can say is have a look at this video I posted on youtube about starting up the Aston. You can see/hear that as I close the door, the solidness of the door shows. it doesn't sound flimsy at all, and makes the outside noise vanish with its insulation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZK5O...eature=related
Old 03-11-2008, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
Originally Posted by RezF
...Just check out some of the lap times around world tracks on www.fastestlaps.com You can see that it fairs better or comparable to the SL....
Thanks for the fastest laps link. Hadn't previously run across that site.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:46 AM

CLS63, GLK350
Perhaps, my chiming in is a bit more relative than others' since I have had an SL 55 (2004) and currently own an Aston Martin Vantage (2008).
The fit and finish of the Aston are SUPERB, second to none. Yeah, there are some Volvo and Ford elements in it, i.e. the NAV screen and the Key Fob, but that is about it. The immense amounts of leather and alcantara used all around the interior as well as the custom hand stitching easily make the
Aston far more luxurious and exclusive than the SL, IMO. The engineering on the car is excellent, with handling and braking that will run circles around the heavier SL. Sure, the SL has an out of your seat feel when launched in a straight line, but the Vantage is quite a capable car too. Just check out some of the lap times around world tracks on www.fastestlaps.com You can see that it fairs better or comparable to the SL. The universal appeal of its gorgeous lines still leave me breathless. The rarity of the car is a big plus. Also, the car has not had any of the major issues one traditionally associated with British engineering. they have really done a great job

I have no idea what you are talking about. All I can say is have a look at this video I posted on youtube about starting up the Aston. You can see/hear that as I close the door, the solidness of the door shows. it doesn't sound flimsy at all, and makes the outside noise vanish with its insulation.

The Aston is a beautiful car. Who wouldn't want one
Old 03-11-2008, 12:39 PM

jaguar xkr

Thanks for that RezF, interesting. Certainly a different view to BrabusTrojan
Old 03-11-2008, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
fast vantage

aren't they supposed to be coming out with a fast vantage? Get that one. Current one is just too slow.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:48 PM

jaguar xkr
Originally Posted by SLK55R
aren't they supposed to be coming out with a fast vantage? Get that one. Current one is just too slow.
I think so. Sounds good unless its the 'no carpets & no radio' variety. As much as I like the new SL I think the vantage is a much more 'appealing' shape.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I have a Vantage, along w/my SL55, and I really like it. The quality of the Aston is brilliant. It really makes the SL look like a mass produced car (which it is). Dynamically, the 55's engine is really tough to beat. At the track I am quicker on a road course in the SL55, but the AM 'feels' better, and that is down to the AMG's electronics numbing things a bit. The Aston is far more tactile.

I enjoy both cars and I would not want to choose between the two.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:57 AM

jaguar xkr
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
I have a Vantage, along w/my SL55, and I really like it. The quality of the Aston is brilliant. It really makes the SL look like a mass produced car (which it is). Dynamically, the 55's engine is really tough to beat. At the track I am quicker on a road course in the SL55, but the AM 'feels' better, and that is down to the AMG's electronics numbing things a bit. The Aston is far more tactile.

I enjoy both cars and I would not want to choose between the two.
Thanks for that. Would you say that the Vantage would be okay for day to day use?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:42 AM

X5, E320cdi ,E220,R-Royce,Jag MKII and more...
My dad is in the market for a Roadstar. Our local jaguar dealer has one, but the wrong color. And our village is not big, and yesterday I was runing and there is one guy who owned a Maserati 4200 and now got his Aston V8 coupe and I spotted it yesterday. It is brand new and yet my dad need a roadstar after he also saw this car today. The SL63 is the "better" car but if you love a car you must take it.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
Originally Posted by X5_E320
...if you love a car you must take it.
Exactly!
Old 03-16-2008, 03:25 PM

jaguar xkr
test drove the vantage, not impressed, at all.
have now test driven the F430 and the new SL 63. F430 is better, until I decided to test one more car, the new Porsche 997 Turbo.

Verdict, the Porsche has been ordered, no contest imo.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
How did you pick a 997 Turbo over a 430?

What were you looking for?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:45 AM

jaguar xkr
Originally Posted by Schiznick
How did you pick a 997 Turbo over a 430?

What were you looking for?
I think the porsche is better for day to day use &, is faster. (& the 2 seats in the back are useful).
Old 03-17-2008, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
new lambo

Should take a look at the revised gallardo as well. They changed a ton of things on that car. Engine, chassis, suspension ... etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: New SL 63 or